Divided we fall

A large % of HD owners Drive Toyota,Nissan,and Honda cars and trucks.When they act out against Japanese Bikes that just proves a low IQ.The way I see it is we all have A--Holes, we all dont need a Harley.I am sure that when the chick in the first post gets back to the trailer park and jumps in the beat up K-Mart swimming pool with a cheap beer and a smoke, she will feel better.:rofl:
 
Wow, I've never had anything like that happen in 45 years of riding. I own and ride a HD, Japanese, and Italian bikes and I wave to everybody. When I'm on a Honda or Ducati almost all HD riders wave back. That girl would be a doushbag on any brand of bike. Just ride!!

Chip
 
ZenBiker_imp said:
I used to sell Harley-Davidsons, and I replaced my stolen Nightster with the Deluxe. I can tell you flatly that most Harley riders don't give a cuss what you ride--just ride.

We have regular ride-ins here in Durham at a few watering holes. There's always a very eclectic bike mix, including Harleys, sport bikes, Can-Ams and even a Ural sidecar rig. Very, very few riders of any machine refuse to wave at me, and most times sport bikers beat me to it when I was riding my Nightster.

The only Harely-logo items I ever owned were my riding jackets, and that's because they not only "matched" the bike, but they're of higher quality than almost anything else on the market. Of course, you pay for that quality too. My brother rides a 2001 Dyna Super Glide that he bought new; he owns no Harley-logo gear whatsoever, and never has. And he's not unique.

But here's the thing: even bikers in full Harley regalia can be as accommodating as any other rider. I've seen as much motorcyclist bigotry from Power Rangers as I have from Pirates. I don't let stereotypes determine who I enjoy our passion with. I focus on the rider.
I visit HD store frequently, their product are of high quality but not expensive. I sometime wear my HD jacket for a long trip in cold weather on my CB. My BMW boot does the job but not high quality as its price suggest.
RetroSeattle_imp said:
I had an odd experience today when I took advantage of a glorious day to ride to the North Cascades in Washington State. I visited an antique airplane fly-in and got lots of compliments on my beautiful shiny red CB1100 Deluxe. However, on the way home on Interstate 5, I was reminded that all of us motorcyclists are not exactly united. A recent vintage Harley equipped with some very loud pipes appeared next to me in the fast lane, complete with a Biker Chick on back gesticulating wildly in my direction. I thought the poor girl might have some form of Tourett's Syndrome, but then she shouted in my direction "get that Jap Crap off of my road, you $#!@hole!" I dropped back behind and was treated to the sight of her wildly swinging her arms in a fine demonstration of Biker Unity. I guess I had blanked it out of my mind that not all motorcyclists are the fine kind of folks that seem to inhabit this forum. Too bad, it seems like our cause would be better presented if some of us didn't have a fit when presented with someone that doesn't look just like themselves. Oh well.
I live in CA, norther and now southern. As far as I can see, 50% or more car on hwy are Japanese brand. It is so common, you don't think about it anymore. Back in 79 in oil embargo, Detroit car workers can't go to work in their Jap car, it is unAmerican.
 
The fact that "Jap crap" is even a phrase is amazing to me...especially since she's probably going to get off that back and squeeze back into her high-interest Kia. The Japanese make a lot of high quality products, while only a few American companies can actually claim that quality is an important factor to them (McIntosh audio equipment for example). Couldn't pay me to drive a non-Japanese car at this point in the sense of a daily driver. I feel safer on the CB knowing that it's at least put together properly!
 
I had some guy in the passenger seat of a lifted pickup roll down his window at a stop light and call me a queer this weekend. I have no idea why. I wasn't riding aggressively, cut him off, or anything so I'm attributing it to riding a non-hd bike as well. My first concern was if he got out of the truck how to makes sure my bike stayed upright. I'll gladly take a punch to the face to keep my cb from getting scratched.

It wasn't a huge deal but did freak me out a bit later thinking about how exposed we are out there on our bikes.
 
I'll pull out the culture card and blame society's movement away from civility for this kind of stupidity.

Strangers that go through the trouble to say something negative about you should be pitied. Their world is likely a dark and lonely place.
 
Gets me mad, and bet most of them go home to their Toyota and Honda cars after being all pro-American built on their Harley's…f'rs
 
Todd_K_imp said:
I'll pull out the culture card and blame society's movement away from civility for this kind of stupidity.

Strangers that go through the trouble to say something negative about you should be pitied. Their world is likely a dark and lonely place.
+1
We have to be thankful that she's on his (husband, friend doesn't matter) bike and not ours:thumbsup:
 
Riding up to Cave Creek yesterday morning in questionable weather I was greeted by waves from other riders; I suspect because like them, I was not a fair weather rider. But that is just a working theory. :D
 
shdwghst457_imp said:
The fact that "Jap crap" is even a phrase is amazing to me...especially since she's probably going to get off that back and squeeze back into her high-interest Kia. The Japanese make a lot of high quality products, while only a few American companies can actually claim that quality is an important factor to them (McIntosh audio equipment for example). Couldn't pay me to drive a non-Japanese car at this point in the sense of a daily driver. I feel safer on the CB knowing that it's at least put together properly!
KIA is not a Japanese car, it's Korean. I was the original KIA dealer in Scottsdale AZ when they first started importing cars to the US and they had a lot of quality problems. Their cars are much improved now. I respectfully disagree with your comment about American companies not caring about quality. To survive in this day of instant mass communication quality is everything. The quality of HD bikes is every bit the equal of Honda and is considered a world standard. Ford is obsessed with quality and has made huge strides which has resulted in their overtaking and now outselling most Japanese brands in the US. HD sells more large displacement motorcycles that all Japanese makers combined.

I like all motorcycles. I'd love to have a Royal Enfield, a Ural with a side car, Moto Guzzi, Triumph, you name it. Two years ago I had dinner with Bill Davidson at the flat track motorcycle races here in AZ. Both he and his father Willie G. Davidson own several Japanese and European bikes in addition to their Harleys. Variety is the spice of life. All the best.

Chip
 
Chip, I'm glad to hear a positive outlook on American-made quality. I know we don't do a good job with our cars. Everyone seems to know that GM makes shoddy products, but still buy them blindly. It's that that I don't understand.

Also, I think you read the first line of my statement in a different tone than I meant to exert; I'm saying that Japanese cars are excellent and are a much better alternative to vehicles such as Kia (which you're indicating is stylized as KIA, and I'll take your word for it).

I respectfully disagree with your comment about Ford's quality; my wife worked for many years at a plaintiff's firm that mostly handled injuries caused by vehicular defects, and Ford comes in strongly in the number one position for flawed vehicles. I recall one anecdote where, before entering the court room, a paralegal was asked to take the roof of a Ford vehicle to the judge and flex it in front of him. She, being a smaller woman, was sure she wouldn't be able to do so, and was disgusted at how easy it in fact was. Ford shaves that metal to a grade just thicker than aluminum foil for the sake of saving weight. There's also the abysmally narrow Explorer that's certainly claimed more lives than any other SUV, particularly any still in production.

As far as bikes go, a Rocket III Roadster and (hopefully) my dad's '74 850 Commando (currently owned by my uncle) will be mine, as well as many other bikes that have caught my eye. I'd even like to test ride a Forty Eight, even if Sportsters are apparently not "real" H-Ds.
 
I'm with you, Chip, I'll take one of each!! I don't understand any intention to "shame" someone who shares your passion.

The only thing I can think is- there are true motorcyclists that absolutely love riding and everything that goes with it, and there are people in search of a lifestyle and all the peripheral "cool" cultish fervor around it. Those people seem primarily concerned with riding the bike 2 miles to the nearest watering hole where they can hang out with other "bikers" and get loaded before testing the crash-worthiness of their do rags.

grover


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
FWIW regarding HD quality, IIRC in the recent Cycle World long-term test, one called a Switchback had parts break/fall off. Maybe they just got the rare bad one, but that's more Tradition than I'd want to put up with.

I'll also mention that in my neighborhood, several guys have Harleys, Road Kings I think, who are absolute gentlemen, and ride them from FL to NC or Sturgis or whatever. Real motorcyclists, with no surly pretentiousness whatsoever. And my lawn guy has one, and he's the nicest, most genuine person you could ever meet. He's even invited me to come along with him to ride the Dragon-on my Honda! Crazy! So it seems it's only a nasty, insecure subset of HD owners who are a PITA.
 
shdwghst457_imp said:
Chip, I'm glad to hear a positive outlook on American-made quality. I know we don't do a good job with our cars. Everyone seems to know that GM makes shoddy products, but still buy them blindly. It's that that I don't understand.

Also, I think you read the first line of my statement in a different tone than I meant to exert; I'm saying that Japanese cars are excellent and are a much better alternative to vehicles such as Kia (which you're indicating is stylized as KIA, and I'll take your word for it).

I respectfully disagree with your comment about Ford's quality; my wife worked for many years at a plaintiff's firm that mostly handled injuries caused by vehicular defects, and Ford comes in strongly in the number one position for flawed vehicles. I recall one anecdote where, before entering the court room, a paralegal was asked to take the roof of a Ford vehicle to the judge and flex it in front of him. She, being a smaller woman, was sure she wouldn't be able to do so, and was disgusted at how easy it in fact was. Ford shaves that metal to a grade just thicker than aluminum foil for the sake of saving weight. There's also the abysmally narrow Explorer that's certainly claimed more lives than any other SUV, particularly any still in production.

As far as bikes go, a Rocket III Roadster and (hopefully) my dad's '74 850 Commando (currently owned by my uncle) will be mine, as well as many other bikes that have caught my eye. I'd even like to test ride a Forty Eight, even if Sportsters are apparently not "real" H-Ds.
"Everyone knows..." the start of many a fallacy.

Quote:I recall one anecdote where, before entering the court room, a paralegal was asked to take the roof of a Ford vehicle to the judge and flex it in front of him. She, being a smaller woman, was sure she wouldn't be able to do so, and was disgusted at how easy it in fact was. Ford shaves that metal to a grade just thicker than aluminum foil for the sake of saving weight.
So does every manufacturer. It is completely useless to waste material on the roof skin. The cross member that is part of the unitized body underneath that skin is where the strength comes from.

Quote:There's also the abysmally narrow Explorer that's certainly claimed more lives than any other SUV, particularly any still in production.
Have you seen an Explorer lately? It's not even remotely related (other than in name) to the thing that Ford first introduced ~1990. If you're referring to roll-over risk (I have to assume, since you made sure to mention it was "abysmally narrow"), that had nothing at all to do with the design of the Explorer, but rather the recommended tire pressures printed on the door jam, and is the main culprit in you and I now paying extra for government-mandated tire pressure monitoring systems in passenger vehicles. The early '90's Ford Explorer was barely an inch narrower than its main competition, the Chevy Blazer, meaning, it wasn't particularly narrow at all.
I like all bikes; all riders on the other hand...

Weirdly, and pertinent to this post, my wife used to work in a biker bar and knows quite a few of the guys you folks would call the "pirates" or people wearing costumes (Lord knows *I* look like a Power Ranger in my Alpinestars gear) and I have met many, many of these guys. So many of them are unbelievably nice, would help you with anything in the world (I recall a bunch showed up at a friend of a friend's place after her house had burned down offering free furniture, food, etc.), and don't give a rat's ass about the kind of bike you ride. Many started riding a small displacement Honda themselves because Harley's are simply too expensive a bike to start riding on.

Let's try not to tar & feather an entire group of folks simply because they ride a certain bike not like ours, kind of like that lady did to the OP.

That being said, there is a certain group of self-righteous a$$hole whose ego is so wrapped up in their brand of their [insert motorcycle, watch, shoes, sunglasses, whatever) that they can't fathom some other competing product could ever come close to, or possibly surpass, the qualities of their chosen brand. These people are complete dickheads and they exist for every brand that exists so just ignore them and move on with enjoying your ride and let them waste time hating.
 
The bottom line is that machines are not the problem at all,it is the uninformed idiots that buy them for the wrong reasons.I would bet that most of us on this forum know how to work on our bikes and we know alot about many brands of bikes.It is fact that most HD owners have no clue of the high % of Japanese parts on thier beloved american machines.You all know that many HD owners are stuck up A--Holes! I have never felt this way about owners of any other brand from any other country.It has always been HD and everything else.I say many and not all because you guys that own HDs and foriegn bikes know that you do not fit in the HD or nothing group.Ride on brothers and sisters.:biker:
 
There's petrol threads, tyre threads, RLET threads, (God forbid) oil threads, and let's-kick-the-kapok-out-of-Harley-riders threads ...
 
Greetings all, I think its a self-generated mind-set. When somebody spends 18,19.....25 thousand dollars on a motorcycle they have to believe it was a worthwhile purchase. They seek out like-minded people and a "click" is formed. When they look at me riding my 8K Honda CB1100 they think I'm someone thats not really serious about Motorcycle riding. I do believe they have to justify their expenditure by following the pack. Get the jacket, boots, dew rag, wallet........
What they don't get is I just like to ride. I don't have to emulate anybody or anything other than myself. I ride a Honda because I like the way it looks, sounds, and that fact thats its a very reliable machine.

We each like different bikes for a variety of personal reasons. Find the one you like and ride, ride, ride. If you want to pretend you're part of the Wild Ones, go for it! Just get out of my way and we'll get along fine.

Good Rides, SeaFlea.
 
I think we have to be very careful to not link bad behavior to any other commonality what ever it may be.

Easy to do and we all tend to make judgements. I am as guilty as the next person.

People do dumb stuff some times. Can't judge a book by it's cover and you certainly can't tell a thing about a person by the bike they ride.
 
AzBob_imp said:
shdwghst457_imp said:
Chip, I'm glad to hear a positive outlook on American-made quality. I know we don't do a good job with our cars. Everyone seems to know that GM makes shoddy products, but still buy them blindly. It's that that I don't understand.

Also, I think you read the first line of my statement in a different tone than I meant to exert; I'm saying that Japanese cars are excellent and are a much better alternative to vehicles such as Kia (which you're indicating is stylized as KIA, and I'll take your word for it).

I respectfully disagree with your comment about Ford's quality; my wife worked for many years at a plaintiff's firm that mostly handled injuries caused by vehicular defects, and Ford comes in strongly in the number one position for flawed vehicles. I recall one anecdote where, before entering the court room, a paralegal was asked to take the roof of a Ford vehicle to the judge and flex it in front of him. She, being a smaller woman, was sure she wouldn't be able to do so, and was disgusted at how easy it in fact was. Ford shaves that metal to a grade just thicker than aluminum foil for the sake of saving weight. There's also the abysmally narrow Explorer that's certainly claimed more lives than any other SUV, particularly any still in production.

As far as bikes go, a Rocket III Roadster and (hopefully) my dad's '74 850 Commando (currently owned by my uncle) will be mine, as well as many other bikes that have caught my eye. I'd even like to test ride a Forty Eight, even if Sportsters are apparently not "real" H-Ds.
"Everyone knows..." the start of many a fallacy.

Quote:I recall one anecdote where, before entering the court room, a paralegal was asked to take the roof of a Ford vehicle to the judge and flex it in front of him. She, being a smaller woman, was sure she wouldn't be able to do so, and was disgusted at how easy it in fact was. Ford shaves that metal to a grade just thicker than aluminum foil for the sake of saving weight.
So does every manufacturer. It is completely useless to waste material on the roof skin. The cross member that is part of the unitized body underneath that skin is where the strength comes from.

Quote:There's also the abysmally narrow Explorer that's certainly claimed more lives than any other SUV, particularly any still in production.
Have you seen an Explorer lately? It's not even remotely related (other than in name) to the thing that Ford first introduced ~1990. If you're referring to roll-over risk (I have to assume, since you made sure to mention it was "abysmally narrow"), that had nothing at all to do with the design of the Explorer, but rather the recommended tire pressures printed on the door jam, and is the main culprit in you and I now paying extra for government-mandated tire pressure monitoring systems in passenger vehicles. The early '90's Ford Explorer was barely an inch narrower than its main competition, the Chevy Blazer, meaning, it wasn't particularly narrow at all.
I like all bikes; all riders on the other hand...

Weirdly, and pertinent to this post, my wife used to work in a biker bar and knows quite a few of the guys you folks would call the "pirates" or people wearing costumes (Lord knows *I* look like a Power Ranger in my Alpinestars gear) and I have met many, many of these guys. So many of them are unbelievably nice, would help you with anything in the world (I recall a bunch showed up at a friend of a friend's place after her house had burned down offering free furniture, food, etc.), and don't give a rat's ass about the kind of bike you ride. Many started riding a small displacement Honda themselves because Harley's are simply too expensive a bike to start riding on.

Let's try not to tar & feather an entire group of folks simply because they ride a certain bike not like ours, kind of like that lady did to the OP.

That being said, there is a certain group of self-righteous a$$hole whose ego is so wrapped up in their brand of their [insert motorcycle, watch, shoes, sunglasses, whatever) that they can't fathom some other competing product could ever come close to, or possibly surpass, the qualities of their chosen brand. These people are complete dickheads and they exist for every brand that exists so just ignore them and move on with enjoying your ride and let them waste time hating.
AzBob,

You probably live real close to me. I'd like to buy you cocktails sometime. What a great post you put up. Thanks for taking the time to write that. Right on bro.

Chip
 
Back
Top