Divided we fall

RetroSeattle_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
I had an odd experience today when I took advantage of a glorious day to ride to the North Cascades in Washington State. I visited an antique airplane fly-in and got lots of compliments on my beautiful shiny red CB1100 Deluxe. However, on the way home on Interstate 5, I was reminded that all of us motorcyclists are not exactly united. A recent vintage Harley equipped with some very loud pipes appeared next to me in the fast lane, complete with a Biker Chick on back gesticulating wildly in my direction. I thought the poor girl might have some form of Tourett's Syndrome, but then she shouted in my direction "get that Jap Crap off of my road, you $#!@hole!" I dropped back behind and was treated to the sight of her wildly swinging her arms in a fine demonstration of Biker Unity. I guess I had blanked it out of my mind that not all motorcyclists are the fine kind of folks that seem to inhabit this forum. Too bad, it seems like our cause would be better presented if some of us didn't have a fit when presented with someone that doesn't look just like themselves. Oh well.
 
Sad :-( Take pity on their ignorance.

We have a lot of "Check Book Bikers" her in So Cal, but I've never experienced something like that, usually they just ignore me, and I'm fine with that.

I grew up in the PNW (Seattle) and recently visited there, between the traffic and the lack of parking I was bummed that my home town had been been overrun by cagers. AND, if that was not enough, lane splitting is not allowed in WA! Too bad, I'll stay in So Cal, thank you.
 
there is dirt in all aspects of life ... :) sad that you had that encounter... ignoring is the best option...'Peace' and like Aussie said ...Karma will catch up eventually...
 
RetroSeattle_imp said:
I had an odd experience today when I took advantage of a glorious day to ride to the North Cascades in Washington State. I visited an antique airplane fly-in and got lots of compliments on my beautiful shiny red CB1100 Deluxe. However, on the way home on Interstate 5, I was reminded that all of us motorcyclists are not exactly united. A recent vintage Harley equipped with some very loud pipes appeared next to me in the fast lane, complete with a Biker Chick on back gesticulating wildly in my direction. I thought the poor girl might have some form of Tourett's Syndrome, but then she shouted in my direction "get that Jap Crap off of my road, you $#!@hole!" I dropped back behind and was treated to the sight of her wildly swinging her arms in a fine demonstration of Biker Unity. I guess I had blanked it out of my mind that not all motorcyclists are the fine kind of folks that seem to inhabit this forum. Too bad, it seems like our cause would be better presented if some of us didn't have a fit when presented with someone that doesn't look just like themselves. Oh well.
Was the skank wearing her 'made in China' HD outfit/costume?
 
I wave to every biker I see, whether on Harleys, trikes, even scooters. Just a few weekends ago, while transitting the great state of New Jersey, a guy on a Harley returned my wave with his middle finger. That was a first for me, but I couldn't help but instantly hate that guy. I hope he dropped his bike later that day.
 
Early on I was surprised to find out that I need BOTH American AND metric wrenches to work on my Harley.
Why ?
Because it is, today, truly an outsourced product with pieces coming in from many places including Japan (who have probably outsourced production to Thailand or China).

Of course, if the Harley was vintage, it might one those guys that can't accept that new fangled Belt drive...
 
I have eight motorcycles in my garage and I'm always being asked how come I don't have a Harley. I say, I don't like wearing a uniform you know black Harley t-shirt, Harley belt, Harley boots, Harley dew rag, Harley wallet chained to your pants, streamers hanging from the bars and I don't like the fact you are not allowed to wave to all bikers................and here in south central Texas there will be a pack of Harley's riding twisties in the Hill Country 10mph under the speed limit and they are spaced so you can't safely pass them. God bless them.
 
I'm with Jim21680. I wave to all. If they wave back, great, if not, maybe they're just too afraid to take one hand off of the bars. If they react inappropriately, like the sweetheart in the first post, then it tells me how their life is going and the best revenge is to let them live it.
 
cbfan_imp said:
I have eight motorcycles in my garage and I'm always being asked how come I don't have a Harley. I say, I don't like wearing a uniform you know black Harley t-shirt, Harley belt, Harley boots, Harley dew rag, Harley wallet chained to your pants, streamers hanging from the bars and I don't like the fact you are not allowed to wave to all bikers................and here in south central Texas there will be a pack of Harley's riding twisties in the Hill Country 10mph under the speed limit and they are spaced so you can't safely pass them. God bless them.
:thumbsup: I am jealous...
 
I'd like to be a fly on the wall at the moment that gal learns how many Japanese parts are on her "American-made" Hardley-Ableson.
 
I got rid of my HD for the CB, hey I just don't look good in a pirate costume, plus the bike was an overpriced piece of cuss!
Just my .02
 
I have nothing against Harley Davidson. It's the entitled asshat who rides one and believes he's got to keep up some kind of bad-ass standard and act like a complete prick that I hate.
 
I noticed this on our trip this week to the Dragon, about 50/50 on the wave back when I waved, but them some of them looked like they made a mistake when they got a good look at my bike. but I continue to wave. :hello:
 
Noticed that too - they will look over to ID the bike before waving back. Had this clearly illustrated while riding with a buddy who owns a Sportster. Sad, really.
 
cbfan_imp said:
I have eight motorcycles in my garage and I'm always being asked how come I don't have a Harley. I say, I don't like wearing a uniform you know black Harley t-shirt, Harley belt, Harley boots, Harley dew rag, Harley wallet chained to your pants, streamers hanging from the bars and I don't like the fact you are not allowed to wave to all bikers................and here in south central Texas there will be a pack of Harley's riding twisties in the Hill Country 10mph under the speed limit and they are spaced so you can't safely pass them. God bless them.
There's a guy here in Ohio who'll signal that he's coming through. If he gets blocked, he goes "bowling for Harleys" and passes anyway. A little too high risk for me.
 
I used to sell Harley-Davidsons, and I replaced my stolen Nightster with the Deluxe. I can tell you flatly that most Harley riders don't give a cuss what you ride--just ride.

We have regular ride-ins here in Durham at a few watering holes. There's always a very eclectic bike mix, including Harleys, sport bikes, Can-Ams and even a Ural sidecar rig. Very, very few riders of any machine refuse to wave at me, and most times sport bikers beat me to it when I was riding my Nightster.

The only Harely-logo items I ever owned were my riding jackets, and that's because they not only "matched" the bike, but they're of higher quality than almost anything else on the market. Of course, you pay for that quality too. My brother rides a 2001 Dyna Super Glide that he bought new; he owns no Harley-logo gear whatsoever, and never has. And he's not unique.

But here's the thing: even bikers in full Harley regalia can be as accommodating as any other rider. I've seen as much motorcyclist bigotry from Power Rangers as I have from Pirates. I don't let stereotypes determine who I enjoy our passion with. I focus on the rider.
 
I've got nothing against Harley riders. Most in my experience are good people. I do however like to "play" with some that are hardcore. For example... good friend has a son who owns and runs a custom chopper shop. Good guy, but he dislikes "rice burners" with a passion. Every year he puts on an open house. As you approach the main parking; he's got a sign "Rice Burners Park Next Door". Screw that... I drive right in with the Rune. Andy (owner), gives me that look... priceless.
 
Back
Top