dilemma - 2016 CB1100EX or 2017 CB1100 EX

rafteur_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Hello everyone,
I live in Japan; after going through 2 triumphs (T120 and street scrambler), I decided that the retro I was looking for is more Honda CB.

I have the possibility to buy a 2016 CB11EX ABS Special edition: this one has a beautiful gun metal color, registration paper show 2017; it is a second hand bike but has only 762 km, is in pristine condition; only 250 are in circulation. the guarantee still runs for another 2 years and 7 months. so it is practically new. (pic attached).

In addition, the dealer,wants to move the 2017 model in red, and offers the bike with a price difference of the equivalent of 1,000 USD. TBH I am not a fan of the red of the tank of the EX; the RS's tank is nicer, but I dig the EX more; I know that the 2018 RS will have a grey color, but could not find any annoucement for the EX.

Finally, one is more unique, and if sold, chances of finding a practically like new one are very slim. the 2017 in red, will be cheaper next year anyway once the 2018 model hit the dealers...

to my question: what would you do if you were in my shoes?

thanks guys.
Best - Rafteur

 
rafteur, g’day and welcome to the forum.

You should do what your heart tells you and nothing else.

But ... if I were in your shoes, I would take the grey EX, partly because of it’s rarity value, but also because I really like the colour and the 2014-16 DLX/EX is, in my view, the best looking of the all the CB1100s to date.
 
G'day rafteur.

Buy the 2016 CB1100 EX ABS Special its a good looking bike be the grey man, as you say you dig it more also.

All the best.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
rafteur, g’day and welcome to the forum.

You should do what your heart tells you and nothing else.

But ... if I were in your shoes, I would take the grey EX, partly because of it’s rarity value, but also because I really like the colour and the 2014-16 DLX/EX is, in my view, the best looking of the all the CB1100s to date.
+1
 
Welcome Rafteur!

I really like the gray color, but like Cormanus says, get the one YOU like.
 
Thread starter
Thank you all fellows for confirming what my heart’s been telling; i sort of knew it, been always good to hear.

I spoke with the dealer who came back with this one- a brand new 2014model, ex with abs and grip heater, customized and sold through selected dealrship.

Heproposed to sell this for about 2000usd equivalent in yen. I was looking for one but was told they were sold out - so customized i was told the stock moved fast.

Still like the grey more, but this one is also hard to overlook. I am lucky to be spoiled for choice but again... what do you think guys?

Thanks again!
 
I’d get the gray one. Because I already have a red one :banana: :D

You gotta make the choice though.
 
Thread starter
Thanks guys...
The red one is gorgeous but i wonder if not too visible... the grey is classy while the red is gorgeous.

The price difference is closer to 3 k usd if i want th pipes as well, otherwise with the stock pipes it will be 1,200 usd instead...
The tank is different from the grey one, it is fuller/rounder...

Tough call ...
 
Thread starter
Thanks guys...
The red one is gorgeous but i wonder if not too visible... the grey is classy while the red is gorgeous.

The price difference is closer to 3 k usd if i want th pipes as well, otherwise with the stock pipes it will be 1,200 usd instead...
The tank is different from the grey one, it is fuller/rounder...

Tough call ...
 
Welcome rafteur! Oh my, the choices! A problem a lot of us in the rest of the world wish we had. Keep us posted which one you ride out on and please add pictures! Enjoy.
 
If it were my choice, I would buy the grey. I think it's beautiful and I think it fits the character of the bike perfectly. Very classy, as others have said. Good luck with your decision!
 
Hi Rafteur. Yeah you really have to do what is most passionate for you. You will know, for sure. I like the red because the grey gets lost in its darkness, for me. Red one has silver engine. Twin exhausts. Big tank. That's the one I would pick. But if the grey speaks to you, then that's it.
 
Thread starter
Thank you all for the very valuable insights.
I slept on it, and looking yhe pictures i took afresh, i am even more convinced that the grey is the one for me.
The red one got me excited because i could find it at last, but i was looking for one when i did not know the grey one existed. I even started eyeing the new kawi z900rs.
But once i stumbled on the grey one, i felt i had found the one. The picture does not do it justice.. the paint was baked to give it a lacquered feel; but the search is over anyway at least for now. I will complete the purchase and post pics ina couple of weeks once i take possesion of it.

I attached further pics of both, because they are both good looking in their own rights. Thanks all!




Final pics of the red one


 
Thread starter
Yes the red one is nice; there was a cb750 four in display in the showroom in blue...
Somehow compared to thr cb750, the cb1100 in those colors looked too ... disproportionate to my eyes.
Anyway, funny that now that i made my choice, i feel no regret at all..
 
Every one, drop dead gorgeous.
 
welcome to the forum , i bought a CB350 new in yokosuka for $320 in the create back in the day , loved the people and the Bullet Train

That Red one would be my pick .
my BMW R1200R was Granite Gray = I called it Graveyard Gray because most of our roads are gray and it just didn't stand out
 
Back
Top