Different distraction

the Ferret

Road warrior
Thread starter
My wife and I were driving today and of course saw a young girl that could barely drive due to fiddling with her cell phone, and we started talking about how since cell phones got so popular, you hardly ever see a woman putting on make up or plucking her eyebrows, painting her finger nails, or even yelling at the kids in the back seat while driving anymore, or men shaving, or someone reading a book or magazine, or someone eating. Now it seems to be cell phones, cigarettes and Starbucks coffee, usually all at the same time, that are the main distractions.

Not any better, just different.
 
Soon, if not already, ... it will be yelling at Android Auto or Apple CarPlay for not listening, or failing to find what the driver wanted. At this point things will be pressed on the steering wheel, or on the dashboard, and of course, on the phone.

The kids in the back won't care because they are glazed-over and high on their pad-screens-whatever.

- - -

Riding a m/c does provide a vantage point of looking into many more vehicles and unfortunately most of the time, your observation is told.

I am quite relieved when I see a driver with two hands on the steering wheel. It is like the good ol' days. Sad story to say that, really.
 
My wife got quite upset with me the other day in the car when I was screaming at Siri to play Rachmaninov and it didn’t understand me. I try to be nice to people but it’s nice to be able to verbally abuse your phone mercilessly. Maybe that’s why Apple Maps sucks so bad.. it’s trying to get me lost. At least Waze lets you select the Cookie Monster voice. Who could get upset with Cookie Monster?

One other distraction that is on the rise is based not only on what you can see people doing in cars but what you can smell. Half the people on my commute home are toking up on the freeway. By the time I get home lately I’m quite hungry.
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
My wife got quite upset with me the other day in the car when I was screaming at Siri to play Rachmaninov and it didn’t understand me. I try to be nice to people but it’s nice to be able to verbally abuse your phone mercilessly. Maybe that’s why Apple Maps sucks so bad.. it’s trying to get me lost. At least Waze lets you select the Cookie Monster voice. Who could get upset with Cookie Monster?

One other distraction that is on the rise is based not only on what you can see people doing in cars but what you can smell. Half the people on my commute home are toking up on the freeway. By the time I get home lately I’m quite hungry.
I got caught in a heavy traffic jam a few weeks back and moved about 200 meters in 40 minutes...in a least two cars--one in front, one to the side--people were lighting up and the smell was "distinctive".
 
pdedse_imp said:
Gone in 60_imp said:
My wife got quite upset with me the other day in the car when I was screaming at Siri to play Rachmaninov and it didn’t understand me. I try to be nice to people but it’s nice to be able to verbally abuse your phone mercilessly. Maybe that’s why Apple Maps sucks so bad.. it’s trying to get me lost. At least Waze lets you select the Cookie Monster voice. Who could get upset with Cookie Monster?

One other distraction that is on the rise is based not only on what you can see people doing in cars but what you can smell. Half the people on my commute home are toking up on the freeway. By the time I get home lately I’m quite hungry.
I got caught in a heavy traffic jam a few weeks back and moved about 200 meters in 40 minutes...in a least two cars--one in front, one to the side--people were lighting up and the smell was "distinctive".
I got caught in a heavy traffic jam a few weeks back and moved about 200 meters in 40 minutes...in a least two cars--one in front, one to the side--people were lighting up and the smell was "distinctive". This "freedom" will only create more danger on the roads.
 
The problem is distraction of any kind, isn't it? Trying to program a map or checking an old-fashioned street directory. Drinking coffee or water or eating breakfast. Putting on makeup, trying to get a CD out of its case and into the slot. Fiddling with the radio or the AC. They're all distractions at a time when you need all your focus on what's happening around you. Phones are just another one, albeit more significant because they seem to press some primeval button in us to respond to them immediately.

So it's not at all surprising that this sort of thing happens:



See here for the whole story.
 
Different distractions, same problem: people are bored with driving and want something else to do besides pay attention to their surroundings.

My wife and I took a weekend getaway in the roadster. On the way home today, we saw a grizzled old guy drive past us in a small economy car, a bright blue can tipped up to his lips. I said to Mrs. Stichill, "That dude's drinking Bud Light at 10:30 in the morning." She said, "Really? Are you sure it wasn't an energy drink?" Just then, he turned right onto a divided highway. He cut the corner short and slammed in and out of a corner pothole created by semi trailers.

Mrs. Stichill: "OK, I guess it was Bud Light."
 
Stichill_imp said:
Different distractions, same problem: people are bored with driving and want something else to do besides pay attention to their surroundings.

My wife and I took a weekend getaway in the roadster. On the way home today, we saw a grizzled old guy drive past us in a small economy car, a bright blue can tipped up to his lips. I said to Mrs. Stichill, "That dude's drinking Bud Light at 10:30 in the morning." She said, "Really? Are you sure it wasn't an energy drink?" Just then, he turned right onto a divided highway. He cut the corner short and slammed in and out of a corner pothole created by semi trailers.

Mrs. Stichill: "OK, I guess it was Bud Light."
I don't know about KY, but in GA it was common to see drivers (e.g. in pick-up trucks) tossing back a few tall boys. They'd crack one open while turning the ignition key. Really in your face moments.

I later learned from locals (I was not from 'round there) that it was okay to drink and drive so long you were not drunk. However, if caught, the punishment was severe by GA state law.

Not sure what else to say. "Riders beware while cruising GA"?
 
^ I'm not familiar with Georgia, but that's how it was in Virginia 35 years ago. Have to admit that in my misspent youth, we drove around with an Igloo Playmate full of cold ones. I've got a picture of a buddy and me stopped for gas and there are two Old Milwaukees sitting on the dashboard.
 
Old Milwaukee - now that's a beer I have not had since the summer of 2002.

Yeah, when I saw cans fall out of vehicles when the driver's door opened (I thought I was watching a movie in real life!), that 's when I started speaking to local Georgians about the acceptance of drinking and driving. Indeed, some things are different in the south. I don't know if injuries are better or worse compared to other regions in North America, but it is a different community approach.
 
Auto makers have gone to some pretty far lengths to keep us from having to fiddle with our phones while driving. Connectivity in the past few years has become very impressive. I travel for work frequently, so I'm always driving different cars which are all newer than my own. These days, I can get into a newish rental car I have never seen, and within five minutes, I've got my phone synced up, my contacts downloaded, streaming my favorite music, and I've got verbal and visual GPS navigation to my hotel.

I can make phone calls, send and receive texts, and update navigation without taking my hands off the wheel, or my eyes off the road. As others have mentioned, I think it's just a matter of boredom. We're being pelted with multiple forms of communication constantly these days. Sitting in a car and just driving it somewhere is boring. We need to be doing something else at the same time, all the time. Whether it's eating, drinking, watching a video, or whatever else.

Heck, I'm not immune to it. My ride to work is a 15 minute commute. I still need something else going on in that short time, so I have an earbud playing the news in the background. Six times out of ten, most of that ride is just a bunch of commercials which I can mute out, so maybe I get five minutes of news. If I'm driving a truck cross country, I'll download a bunch of documentaries on my phone, so I can listen to them while I drive. I knocked out the whole Ken Burns WW2 series on a trip to Indy earlier this year, and his national parks series on the way home.
 
Living in rural Georgia I can tell you that DUI is a major problem. The roadside litter of beer cans is proof enough. Worse I think is the problem of opioid addiction; it's a major crisis here and in most of the country. Over prescribed drugs for depression also. Meth is another peril and those on it can be dangerously unpredictable.
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
Auto makers have gone to some pretty far lengths to keep us from having to fiddle with our phones while driving. Connectivity in the past few years has become very impressive. I travel for work frequently, so I'm always driving different cars which are all newer than my own. These days, I can get into a newish rental car I have never seen, and within five minutes, I've got my phone synced up, my contacts downloaded, streaming my favorite music, and I've got verbal and visual GPS navigation to my hotel.

I can make phone calls, send and receive texts, and update navigation without taking my hands off the wheel, or my eyes off the road. As others have mentioned, I think it's just a matter of boredom. We're being pelted with multiple forms of communication constantly these days. Sitting in a car and just driving it somewhere is boring. We need to be doing something else at the same time, all the time. Whether it's eating, drinking, watching a video, or whatever else.

Heck, I'm not immune to it. My ride to work is a 15 minute commute. I still need something else going on in that short time, so I have an earbud playing the news in the background. Six times out of ten, most of that ride is just a bunch of commercials which I can mute out, so maybe I get five minutes of news. If I'm driving a truck cross country, I'll download a bunch of documentaries on my phone, so I can listen to them while I drive. I knocked out the whole Ken Burns WW2 series on a trip to Indy earlier this year, and his national parks series on the way home.
When I ride and drive, I watch humanity. I am a people watcher, always waiting for their next dumb a** move.
 
Perhaps it would be better to watch the road and traffic? :P
 
Didn't anyone tell you, Cormanus? The cars do that for you now.
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
Didn't anyone tell you, Cormanus? The cars do that for you now.
Never. I suppose you’ll tell me next you can start them without a crank.
 
Back
Top