Didn't even miss me did ya? Lol

the Ferret

Road warrior
Thread starter
Just walked in the door from a four day ST ride to West Virginia. What a great place to ride. 4 days 1286 miles. We must have ridden thru 10,000 curves...maybe more. One road, Rt 20 which runs from Buckhannon down to Richwood, is 90 miles long and is nothing but constant left/right turns. Seriously!

Seneca Rocks, Snowshoe, Highland Scenic Highway, Droop Mountain State Park.. What a great trip!

This ride puts me at 13,490 miles for the year so far.
 
Who is this Ferret guy? :P
 
Guth_imp said:
Welcome back! Glad to hear that you had a great trip. I'm looking forward to the photos from this one.
+1

Welcome back, Ferrett. You've been getting about a bit in spite of spending so many of the early months of the year confined to quarters.
 
Welcome back! I read all your post!

I'm heading in that direction next week (smokey mountains) just to ride.

I almost bought a 2012 ST with 1000 miles on it for $10,000 a few weeks ago, but bought a trailer instead, so I'll be taking the CB1100 over there.

Did you miss your 1100 once you got there? I'm still debating whether I need a touring bike too.
 
Thread starter
Ok ride report is up

Almost Heaven..West Virginia

offroad..have a fun safe trip. Great place to ride.

Trailering has it's pluses and minuses. Do you need a dedicated tourer? Only if you like to spend a lot of time touring. Bikes like ST's and FJRs eat up long distance miles without wearing out the rider and do a yeoman's job in the curvy places, but aren't nearly as much fun as a lightweight bike in the twisties. But the lightweight nakeds will wear you our riding long miles on boring interstates to get to the good stuff. I don't know.... it's a tough decision. I have done it both ways and like doing it both ways, but in the end I prefer riding to towing. Anyone who says riding a light weight naked long distance doesn't wear you out, has never ridden 500 miles a day for 11 straight days. I have ridden my 13 CB to West Virginia and it was no problem (and will ride my 14 to central Kentucky for a week of riding in September). A 300 mile day on each end of a week long trip with local riding in between, is easily doable but for much more, like a solo tour out west, I want a dedicated sport tourer. I towed my Bonneville to Utah in 2003 and then toured all the National Parks in Utah and AZ (Bryce Canyon, Arches, Monument Valley, Grand Canyon, Canyon De Chelly, Zion Natl Park etc) and that was a great decision. Riding from Ohio to Utah on the Bonnie with my wife on back would have worn us both out...and then would have still needed to ride it back home. I towed my ST to Montana in 2012, then left my trailer at a buddy house and toured Montana, Idaho, Washington, Oregon and Wyoming, then towed it back home. It was nearly 4000 miles round trip just to my buddy's house, so we elected to tow. Good decision IMO. My wife and I rode the ST to Bar Harbor Maine, 2 weeks 3400 miles and much preferred riding rather than towing on that occasion. Just depends.
 
Mickey,

I finally picked up my ST at Ridem's house. I rode from Jackson, MS. and stopped in Selma, Alabama for the night. Man, my rear was killing me! The next day I put on the Air Hawk cushion and rode from Selma to Savannah, Ga, where I am now. Monday or Tuesday I'll head on up to Virginia Beach.

Thanks for the tips you gave me, and you are right, it will dance like Chuck Berry around big rigs. But actually I thought it handled really good and is like riding around in a lux. car.

But for around town, the ST is just too big. Give me my CB!
 
Thread starter
Popgun....very cool. Glad you got it. How do you like that adjustable windshield. cat's meow eh? Have fun, ride safe the rest of the way home.

Frank at Greatdaytoride.com can fix that seat for you inexpensively. Lower it, gel foam, looks stock. One week turn around under $100.
 
The ferret_imp said:
The Spaceman_imp said:

Figured you'd say that Spaceman :(

Figured you'd say that Spaceman :(
Awww...I might not have noticed you were gone, but that doesn't mean I don't still love you! Now turn that frown upside down, pick that chin up off your chest, and have a GREAT WEEKEND! :excited:
 
Thread starter
The Spaceman_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
The Spaceman_imp said:

Figured you'd say that Spaceman :(

Figured you'd say that Spaceman :(
Awww...I might not have noticed you were gone, but that doesn't mean I don't still love you! Now turn that frown upside down, pick that chin up off your chest, and have a GREAT WEEKEND! :excited:

Figured you'd say that Spaceman :(
Awww...I might not have noticed you were gone, but that doesn't mean I don't still love you! Now turn that frown upside down, pick that chin up off your chest, and have a GREAT WEEKEND! :excited:
:thumbsup: thanks I feel better now
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Mickey,

I finally picked up my ST at Ridem's house. I rode from Jackson, MS. and stopped in Selma, Alabama for the night. Man, my rear was killing me! The next day I put on the Air Hawk cushion and rode from Selma to Savannah, Ga, where I am now. Monday or Tuesday I'll head on up to Virginia Beach.

Thanks for the tips you gave me, and you are right, it will dance like Chuck Berry around big rigs. But actually I thought it handled really good and is like riding around in a lux. car.

But for around town, the ST is just too big. Give me my CB!
Popgun do you remember which Air Hawk cushion you bought? There are lots of different sizes. Thanks for the idea!
 
The ferret_imp said:
Popgun....very cool. Glad you got it. How do you like that adjustable windshield. cat's meow eh? Have fun, ride safe the rest of the way home.

Frank at Greatdaytoride.com can fix that seat for you inexpensively. Lower it, gel foam, looks stock. One week turn around under $100.
I'll keep that in mind about Greatday.

Ridem kept harping about that windshield and he was right! That thing is awesome. Almost makes up for the lack of a cruise control. I do have a brakeaway on it though. Works pretty good, but I think it needs a tad of adjustment which I'll mess with before I hit the road home.

Oh yeah, the ST does not like speed limits...
 
offroadfx4_imp said:
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Mickey,

I finally picked up my ST at Ridem's house. I rode from Jackson, MS. and stopped in Selma, Alabama for the night. Man, my rear was killing me! The next day I put on the Air Hawk cushion and rode from Selma to Savannah, Ga, where I am now. Monday or Tuesday I'll head on up to Virginia Beach.

Thanks for the tips you gave me, and you are right, it will dance like Chuck Berry around big rigs. But actually I thought it handled really good and is like riding around in a lux. car.

But for around town, the ST is just too big. Give me my CB!
Popgun do you remember which Air Hawk cushion you bought? There are lots of different sizes. Thanks for the idea!
The "Medium Cruiser" size/model fits my stock seat perfectly.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Ok ride report is up

Almost Heaven..West Virginia

offroad..have a fun safe trip. Great place to ride.

Trailering has it's pluses and minuses. Do you need a dedicated tourer? Only if you like to spend a lot of time touring. Bikes like ST's and FJRs eat up long distance miles without wearing out the rider and do a yeoman's job in the curvy places, but aren't nearly as much fun as a lightweight bike in the twisties. But the lightweight nakeds will wear you our riding long miles on boring interstates to get to the good stuff. I don't know.... it's a tough decision. I have done it both ways and like doing it both ways, but in the end I prefer riding to towing. Anyone who says riding a light weight naked long distance doesn't wear you out, has never ridden 500 miles a day for 11 straight days. I have ridden my 13 CB to West Virginia and it was no problem (and will ride my 14 to central Kentucky for a week of riding in September). A 300 mile day on each end of a week long trip with local riding in between, is easily doable but for much more, like a solo tour out west, I want a dedicated sport tourer. I towed my Bonneville to Utah in 2003 and then toured all the National Parks in Utah and AZ (Bryce Canyon, Arches, Monument Valley, Grand Canyon, Canyon De Chelly, Zion Natl Park etc) and that was a great decision. Riding from Ohio to Utah on the Bonnie with my wife on back would have worn us both out...and then would have still needed to ride it back home. I towed my ST to Montana in 2012, then left my trailer at a buddy house and toured Montana, Idaho, Washington, Oregon and Wyoming, then towed it back home. It was nearly 4000 miles round trip just to my buddy's house, so we elected to tow. Good decision IMO. My wife and I rode the ST to Bar Harbor Maine, 2 weeks 3400 miles and much preferred riding rather than towing on that occasion. Just depends.
Yep, it will wear you down no doubt on standards at high speeds with no wind screen. But, I just like them. Let me know when and where you are coming through Ky cause I would love to meet up with you if possible. ST is a heck of a bike for eating up miles no doubt.
 
Didn't know you were gone and what's worse, I couldn't care less that you're back! How you like them apples? :P

~ The Bee hath spoken
 
Back
Top