Didn't do 600 Mile service

Al D_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
I think I know the answer to this, but did anyone here ignore the 600 mile service?

I was looking at a used one with about 2K miles and asked about proof of 600 mile service. He said he didn't do it. WTF? Really?

Am I just too anal? who would skip that?

Al
 
I did it, all be it at 700 miles, but I did it.
That is just bad to ignore those early services like that as it's not just an oil change, but an inspection to make sure everything is tight and doing what it's supposed to be doing.

Personally I would skip it and find another one because there are a few people turning them over so a deal is sure to be had.
 
That's normally something I would never have skipped...buttttttt....
I only changed my oil and filter at 600, skipped the dealer.
Also, if you look on this forum, I think Ferret has a detailed How-to on the 600 mile service.
 
That 600 mile service is one of the most important ones to perform. A couple hundred miles more or less wouldn't be a deal breaker, but a couple thousand!? I'd take a pass on that bike. :(
 
Thread starter
I am in agreement to pass on this one. I was wondering if there was some kind of consensus to not bother, but I would have been surprised.
Thanks,
Al
 
Are you kidding me....what the heck do you think they do on a 600 mile service besides an oil and filter....check for loose bolts???
Do you take your car to the dealer for a 600 mile service?
 
It's a little more than that, but not too terribly much. My point about avoiding it is because if he didn't do this rather simple maintenance item, then what else has been neglected on the bike?

How To do your own 600 mile service
 
I dont think its that big of a deal but I would use it to negotiate. It would not scare me. I know this is an air cooled engine but factory fills on new cars go 5-10K with oil monitors. Use this to your advantage. I seriously doubt any damage has been done. JMO.
 
HikerToo_imp said:
Are you kidding me....what the heck do you think they do on a 600 mile service besides an oil and filter....check for loose bolts???
Do you take your car to the dealer for a 600 mile service?
No, mate, I am not kidding. I said avoid. If the price is right, sure, buy. The principle being if this turkey didn't bother with a cheap and essential first service what else has he neglected. Essential? Well have you thought about why a first service is done at 600? Surely the bike would be good for, say, 3000m before a service is required. No, sorry, its not. For one, with the oil and filter change it gets rid of any manufacturing swarf that may be present in the lube system, and there is often some; also picks up any excess of same if present. Nuts and bolts? Good point mate. If any have not been tightened to specs then this is a good time to find out, not 2000m down the track when they may cause a major issue. Steering head checked, not a bad idea on a new bike. Should also be road tested by the mech. In short I see this service as a final step in the quality control system. Oh, any affect on Warranty?

Its not rocket science, do it yourself. A guide to that has already been put on this forum. But my main objection to this bike is that the owner doesn't seem to have been bothered to either do, or record, the service. Break in procedure followed? Dunno. Probably hasn't changed his underdungers for three weeks or more. Or worse still, and this may concern you, used non manufacturer approved lubricants, if he has used any at all that is. Get it?

Cheers
 
Seems to be a bit of a consensus that you should buy a different bike, Al.
 
Yea, it's not like there aren't any low mileage ones out there. Just might take another week or so to locate one. I agree that if he couldn't bother to do the 600 mile service I would look elsewhere. I am one who believes the 600 mile oil change is important to remove any metal shavings and bits and gives you an opportunity early on to find any surprises that could give you concern.
 
I changed the motor oil and filter myself at 600 miles. Checked the drive chain tension as well. I give the bike a frequent look over - hey, I love looking at this beauty anyway. Some of the later services are more involved and I'm going the give my local dealer the business for those.

The oil & filter (IMHO) must be changed during the break-in period - especially a hard working, air cooled one. 2000 miles and no change is an oversight. I'd be patient and look elsewhere too.

In a similar vein, I bought a new Volkswagen CC recently. VW includes an oil change, tire rotation & inspections at 10K, 20K, and 30K free of charge. No mention is made in the owners or service manuals about break-in routine or oil/filter changes. The turbo 4-cylinder crankcase is filled with 5W-40 synthetic from the factory, but I gave the car an oil/filter change at 1200 miles anyway. Waiting for the 10K mark seemed nuts to me.

~ The Bee
 
I wonder if VW runs all the engines and then drains and refills the oil? They've always had long change intervals but I agree, no break-in change is unusual. I imagine it's safe to do without one though if VW says so since it's their warranty.
 
HikerToo_imp said:
Are you kidding me....what the heck do you think they do on a 600 mile service besides an oil and filter....check for loose bolts???
Do you take your car to the dealer for a 600 mile service?

Well, yes. If she needs required service at the 600 mile point then after spending such copious coins on her purchase I will consider it a great investment in maintenance with the side benefit of having the receipt that comes with this service should I require a largish warranty service on the engine or trans and need to prove she was maintained as required by the warranty.
 
When you buy a 10 year old motorcycle with say 40K miles on it( or more) would you be worried so much about the 600 mile service at that point?
 
HikerToo_imp said:
When you buy a 10 year old motorcycle with say 40K miles on it( or more) would you be worried so much about the 600 mile service at that point?
Too right mate, if it made it that far, I couldn't give a fig. But, hell, I could be wrong, I haven't scrolled back, but I thought the bike in question was at the 2000m mark, and might even be under warranty. Wasn't it? Refresh my memory.

Cheers
 
If I were looking at 2 ten year old bikes with 40 thousand miles plus on them, and one owner had complete service records and the other owner had none, and the bikes looked physically the same and both owners were requesting the same amount for them, I would certainly lean toward the bike with the service records.
 
You got that right, yet I myself am good at the work, just not the record keeping. But then again I don't sell.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Back
Top