Design Disadvantages of the CB1100

Last bike ('86 CB700SC) had hydraulic tappets that never needed fiddling, and that's with a nearly 11,000rpm redline too. Makes the head larger, though.

On the other hand, my 2005 VFR800Fi has the nightmare of all valve clearance jobs. All four cams have to come out TWICE to do the adjustment. The first time is to install the VTEC plugs that force the variable valves to open while the engine isn't running so you can measure their clearance. It's a bloody endless job...
 
Great thread! Just read all 13 entertaining pages! I know this is in the mechanical/technical section, but no one commented on the 'Design' of the tank. Overall, the bike gives a nod to the 69-78 CB750, but the tank, without the straight flat bottom line, screams 79-80+! (Some will like that and others will not).
Do you all prefer the stock tank or the one whitehouse offers? Personally, I think the tank could've been designed with the straight flat bottom line in a post modern way with greater fuel capacity. And you'd be able to chrome trim it!
 
One of my first questions to my dealer was valve adjustment frequency - He told me 16,000 miles. I guess he's blowing smoke in my face...
 
redbirds_imp said:
With a few exceptions, I would guess the valves will not need adjusting for 50,000 miles on most CB's. Will check mine this spring.
Wow... that's interesting.

I would guess the clearances should be checked a lot more frequently than that(?)
 
quietguy_imp said:
One of my first questions to my dealer was valve adjustment frequency - He told me 16,000 miles. I guess he's blowing smoke in my face...
That is the service manual stipulation. It's not the dealer that is blowing the smoke. It's Honda. Most people who check the valves themselves have found them to be within tolerance. My dealer checked mine at first major service and made adjustments. I had other issues with that service and since then I do all the servicing on my bike.

Back to Honda. Why does Honda make the stipulation? I don't know, but I believe they have better technical resources than most, if not all, on this forum. Honda chose the valve check interval for a reason. I don't think that Honda was driven by the bottom line in making that the check interval.

The dealer? Well, I don't use a dealer but if I did, I want that dealer to carry out the service manual procedure without deviation or omission. The last thing I would want from a dealer is for him to think, "These CBs probably don't require a valve check so often. The shops busy, my foreman has a hangover after the dealership Christmas party and needs a recovery lunch, so I won't get them to check Pterodactyl's bike, it's most likely OK. And if it's not I will win when he brings it back with the engine running like a sick donkey, or better still, with major damage (I'm planning a vacation in Aspen this winter and would love a new set of carvers)." :)

So if you, or the dealer, don't want to check the valves at the the stipulated intervals it's up to you. As a wise man once said, "You pays your money, you takes your choice"

Cheers
And I note that Calamari's thread has resurrected. Wonder if he still looks in occasionally. Cheers again.
 
I was not implying that I would check valves at 50K. I will check at 8K just as Honda recommends but I seriously doubt they will need adjustment based on my own experience with shim under bucket adjusters.
 
Ptero his last visit was April 2014. He's probably annoying some other moderator on some other board. Maybe his beloved W800 board.
 
redbirds_imp said:
I was not implying that I would check valves at 50K. I will check at 8K just as Honda recommends but I seriously doubt they will need adjustment based on my own experience with shim under bucket adjusters.

I checked my ST 1300's valves for the first time at 54,000 miles. All were in spec. May get checked again at 100k. Haven't done the CB yet.

Like Ptero says follow your conscience with your own bike
 
Quietguy...I dont see where anyone was beating you up over anything. Discussion is just that, discussion, some you may agree with and some you may not, some may agree with you and some may not agree with you. We all learn from each other, but we all have separate opinions.

Everyone is different with how meticulous they are with maintenance and with how closely they follow Hondas recommendation on servicing and parts replacement. Some swear you have to do this because Honda says you do, and the same person will say you don't have to do that just because Honda says you do. Confusing, no?

Valve adjustment, oil change intervals, oil type and weight, spark plug inspection or replacement, air cleaner inspection or replacement, steering head bearing tightening, brake fluid replacement, fork oil replacement are all subject to both the mfgs recommendation and the owners prerogative as to whether he wants to follow those recommendations to the letter or not.
 
quietguy_imp said:
... ... ...
I don't think anyone was going after you, QG. The reference to "Annoying another moderator" was referring to the OM, who was a bit of a troll and has long since abandoned the forum. Pterodactyl was pretty much agreeing with you... the recommended interval is short but it is in the manual and so you can take it as you will. The overwhelming evidence so far points to the valves staying within spec for many, many more miles than 8000. But several owners have had theirs checked at 8000. I haven't seen anyone post that theirs were out of spec at that distance, but I haven't read every thread... yet! :D
Anyhow, I hope that you will find this forum to be a pretty convivial place. I have.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Ptero his last visit was April 2014. He's probably annoying some other moderator on some other board. Maybe his beloved W800 board.
Ferret, while deviating a little, have you or any other heard from SanPete (Pedro) recently. Last checked in around August. Maybe busy or lost his CB. I miss his smiling face.

Cheers
And Quietguy, please believe me when I say I am not intending to beat you, or anyone on this forum, up. If I have offended I sincerely apologise. A tactic, incidently, that Calamari specifically advised against. But then he has since left for fresher troll fodder.

So mate, don't take offence. As far as service goes, I now use the service interval recommendations as a very useful guide. I kind of follow a pattern of preventative maintenance mixed with whim. Wouldn't suit everyone but I pays my money etc. More based around riding pattern I guess. Do 50kms of dirt/dusty/muddy/wet road I clean the air filter and the chain. 500kms of dry tarmac I have a beer and a good nights sleep.

Cheers
 
Have not heard from SanPete. maybe Ride4Now has. I know he was playing a pretty big role in running a family business that took him out of the country quite often. Nice guy. We had a lot of fun at the 2015 rally.
 
The last time I saw SanPete was when we pulled over to say farewell the Monday after the rally. He left Cormanus and I in a trailer park somewhere near Ashville. The kind of place where my well honed survival instincts were telling me to thumb the starter button and say, "See you later". Cormanus was not far behind me as I redlined outa there :). On reflection it was probably an old folks refuge run by the flower power people. It just didn't feel that way.

Cheers
 
Queue up Dueling Banjos...
 
Back
Top