calamarichris_imp
Running like a top
Thread starter
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Deanohh_imp said:Now you are the one jumping to conclusions. I do fondle my CB a little from time to time but that's as far as I go.
If it starts making the "ticking" sound, don't worry, it's the design.Absolutely, it's the bike's way of telling you, "Well done".Cormanus_imp said:"Tink!"
It's a beautiful sound. And, yes, I've heard it.
I have been told is the exhaust and not the engine fins :-(Cormanus_imp said:"Tink!"
It's a beautiful sound. And, yes, I've heard it.
calamarichris_imp said:
Absolutely, it's the bike's way of telling you, "Well done".davidsargee_imp said:Absolutely, it's the bike's way of telling you, "Well done".Cormanus_imp said:"Tink!"
It's a beautiful sound. And, yes, I've heard it.
Those guys at Honda think of everything, don't they?
SanPete_imp said:I have been told is the exhaust and not the engine fins :-(Cormanus_imp said:"Tink!"
It's a beautiful sound. And, yes, I've heard it.
Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk now Free
Cormanus_imp said:calamarichris_imp said:
Not strictly true; they're quite good enough to be interesting.
I complained about the interruption to ring that photography entails. The Ferret, bless him, came back with this post, [URL=https://cb1100forum.net/threads/58636/]http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=1767.
I've been trying it. It's an improvement on stopping, but it does require you to slow down and be pretty damned careful about what's going on around you.
Maybe you should get the well-balanced dog to help you out with picture taking?
Absolutely, it's the bike's way of telling you, "Well done".davidsargee_imp said:Absolutely, it's the bike's way of telling you, "Well done".Cormanus_imp said:"Tink!"
It's a beautiful sound. And, yes, I've heard it.
Those guys at Honda think of everything, don't they?
Those guys at Honda think of everything, don't they?
SanPete_imp said:I have been told is the exhaust and not the engine fins :-(Cormanus_imp said:"Tink!"
It's a beautiful sound. And, yes, I've heard it.
Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk now Free
I've no real idea what it is, but it's a lovely sound. I'm sure most bikes used to do it back in the day.
Absolutely, it's the bike's way of telling you, "Well done".davidsargee_imp said:Absolutely, it's the bike's way of telling you, "Well done".Cormanus_imp said:"Tink!"
It's a beautiful sound. And, yes, I've heard it.
Those guys at Honda think of everything, don't they?
SanPete_imp said:I have been told is the exhaust and not the engine fins :-(Cormanus_imp said:"Tink!"
It's a beautiful sound. And, yes, I've heard it.
Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk now Free

SanPete_imp said:I have been told is the exhaust and not the engine fins :-(Cormanus_imp said:"Tink!"
It's a beautiful sound. And, yes, I've heard it.
Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk now Free
Pashnit used to be awesome, before he started requiring subscriptions to see the good stuff. Northern California is the great motorcycling place in the Country IMO. Even better than Colorado, (and Colorado is spectacular.)Rboe_imp said:pashnit.com has California roads mapped out pretty good. California has a lifetime of fun motorcycle roads.
I've been in that area of AZ but not that road. The dust could be a problem for me.![]()
But it's like that 60 miles away from the mine and further up the mountain--too far to be from the copper mine. I believe it's more a function of the lack of rain and regular traffic to blow the dust off the road. It was not really visible and it didn't really get kicked up, but when I stopped and walked around on the asphalt I noticed it was slicker than owl-$#it.davidsargee_imp said:I've been down that highway to Morenci, was there on a job in '96. Unfortunately, I wasn't on a bike. I do remember thinking it would be a great ride. The activity from the copper mine seems to keep things dusty and dirty, that's for sure. Definitely the middle of nowhere, but beautiful country.
Deanohh_imp said:Now you are the one jumping to conclusions. I do fondle my CB a little from time to time but that's as far as I go.If it starts making the "ticking" sound, don't worry, it's the design.

If you're in the area, this stretch of Hwy 89A between Sedona and Jerome is pure bliss. It's only 14 miles surrounded on both sides by boring, but it ranks high among the roads I've been on.davidsargee_imp said:When I was coming into Morenci from the north, there was a lot of truck traffic, I don't know what they were hauling, but it had to be mine related, there is nothing else out there. The dust was everywhere. We started seeing the trucks probably an hour or so from the mine. I am planning a road trip this spring through New Mexico and Arizona, I might make a detour through there just to ride that road.

Clearly I can't read the map that I posted.Rboe_imp said:I think you meant Prescott and Jerome.
From Jerome you drop down to Cottonwood (not a bad ride but very low speed limit, lot's of traffic and good opportunities to wash out the front tire) then through Cottonwood, across the river and quick ride to Sedona. Now the road from Sedona to Flagstaff is supposed to be nice if traffic is light but it has been years since I've been on it and never on a bike. Between traffic and accidents and lack of time I've missed it.
For a nice day trip we have taken the Beeline from east Phoenix up to Payson. Take 260/87 north until 260 T's off to the left and take it to Camp Verde . From Camp Verde we take I-17 home. 260 is a very nice ride in the pines while on top of the rim with a dramatic drop into Camp Verde.
An alternative that taken in the fall, continue on 87 to Clints' Wells, then take Lake Mary Road to the back way into Flagstaff. Just a very pretty route for a relaxing day.



Thanks! I was in both of those areas during my stay there in the spring and summer of '96. Doesn't Sonny Barger have a bike shop in the Sedona-Cottonwood area? We stopped in there, not knowing who he is. I later saw him on some tv documentary and recognized him, we probably shot the breeze with him for half an hour or so, neither of us had any idea who he is.Rboe_imp said:I think you meant Prescott and Jerome.
From Jerome you drop down to Cottonwood (not a bad ride but very low speed limit, lot's of traffic and good opportunities to wash out the front tire) then through Cottonwood, across the river and quick ride to Sedona. Now the road from Sedona to Flagstaff is supposed to be nice if traffic is light but it has been years since I've been on it and never on a bike. Between traffic and accidents and lack of time I've missed it.
For a nice day trip we have taken the Beeline from east Phoenix up to Payson. Take 260/87 north until 260 T's off to the left and take it to Camp Verde . From Camp Verde we take I-17 home. 260 is a very nice ride in the pines while on top of the rim with a dramatic drop into Camp Verde.
An alternative that taken in the fall, continue on 87 to Clints' Wells, then take Lake Mary Road to the back way into Flagstaff. Just a very pretty route for a relaxing day.

lackskill_imp said:If you're in the area, this stretch of Hwy 89A between Sedona and Jerome is pure bliss. It's only 14 miles surrounded on both sides by boring, but it ranks high among the roads I've been on.davidsargee_imp said:When I was coming into Morenci from the north, there was a lot of truck traffic, I don't know what they were hauling, but it had to be mine related, there is nothing else out there. The dust was everywhere. We started seeing the trucks probably an hour or so from the mine. I am planning a road trip this spring through New Mexico and Arizona, I might make a detour through there just to ride that road.
https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=AZ-89...sz=11&z=11
It's absolutely the contraction of the exhaust as it cools and here's how you can demonstrate it:calamarichris_imp said:It's absolutely the contraction of the exhaust as it cools and here's how you can demonstrate it:SanPete_imp said:I have been told is the exhaust and not the engine fins :-(Cormanus_imp said:"Tink!"
It's a beautiful sound. And, yes, I've heard it.
Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk [url=http://'http://tapatalk.com/m?id=10']now Free
When you've stopped and the hot bike is making the ticking noise, leave your glove on your hand and give your muffer a quick knock with your gloved knuckle. The ticking stops--all those stresses on the sheet metal in your exhaust system have been temporarily relaxed for a moment, but it'll soon start ticking again.
The exhaust also ticks when it's warming up, but it's difficult to hear over the engine noise.
Pashnit used to be awesome, before he started requiring subscriptions to see the good stuff. Northern California is the great motorcycling place in the Country IMO. Even better than Colorado, (and Colorado is spectacular.)Rboe_imp said:pashnit.com has California roads mapped out pretty good. California has a lifetime of fun motorcycle roads.
I've been in that area of AZ but not that road. The dust could be a problem for me.![]()
But it's like that 60 miles away from the mine and further up the mountain--too far to be from the copper mine. I believe it's more a function of the lack of rain and regular traffic to blow the dust off the road. It was not really visible and it didn't really get kicked up, but when I stopped and walked around on the asphalt I noticed it was slicker than owl-$#it.davidsargee_imp said:I've been down that highway to Morenci, was there on a job in '96. Unfortunately, I wasn't on a bike. I do remember thinking it would be a great ride. The activity from the copper mine seems to keep things dusty and dirty, that's for sure. Definitely the middle of nowhere, but beautiful country.
Deanohh_imp said:Now you are the one jumping to conclusions. I do fondle my CB a little from time to time but that's as far as I go.If it starts making the "ticking" sound, don't worry, it's the design.
Too bad really, because the asphalt quality and visibility was good, the traffic was light, and it just begged to be ridden hard.
