Denver to Las Vegas

Scudrunr_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
First long ride. First stop. Franktown Colorado

7b7bd527566a156495aad7fa71be1305.jpg
0805cf7c45b0d5a4174ffdf8c668bc97.jpg

I put gloves on after the pic...
 
Franktown is just South of Denver. Still in the Foothills really running parallel to the Mountains. Depending on the route picked, he will eventually have to turn right and go over the Mountains.
I am eyeballing this with interest. Have thought about making a run out to Colorado this summer to visit Pikes Peak and camp out for a few nights. I am missing; where I grew up.
 
I was relieved to hear you put your gloves on. Looks like a decent sort of ride.
 
Thread starter
Well guys, I'm writing you from a hotel tub in Page, AZ. Things didn't turn out quite the way I expected. Hence the long soak in the tub. I have never been so cold in my life. I had intended to post a picture at every fuel stop, but I ended up with get-there-itis instead.

First stop was gas in Franktown, CO. I wanted to get gassed up yesterday, but was just too busy. Oh well

Continued south on 83 until I got to Colorado springs, then hopped on 25 all the way to Walsenburg. The wind just south of Colorado city was insane. I was thinking I had a high probability of crashing. None the less, it has been a wet spring and this part of the state is beautiful, if a little boring

b69a05b6fd4dd33ce0648539b3127fd6.jpg
2fe642f1fbf05dd0b018a31f3d541ff9.jpg


160 to Alamosa, CO. I stopped to check my weather since it looked wet all around. The radar said smooth sailing so I pressed on.

Wrong. Wolf creek pass between Alamosa and Pagoda Springs tried to kill me.

54436326f81d7649bb5efe36081efcbc.jpg


Rain, snow,rain....

Still raining all the way Pagosa Springs. Had a fuel stop. I was planning on lunching here but I pressed on in disgust.

Some rain until Durango, no stops, continued on 160 to Cortez (instead of Farmington, weather looked better)

Lunch and gas in Cortez. Couldn't get myself warm. My bottom layers were soaked.

Cortez to Kayenta on 160. Some rain here and there. Got to kayenta just before a huge dark cloud hit. Looked for a hotel but none were to be had. Booked a hotel on my phone for Page before they got scooped up.

Rode off into the rain towards Page. It rained off and on the whole ride.

Got to my hotel and here I soak trying to warm up. Temps were between 43-54 the whole ride. Not bad, but in the wet it bites.

Lessons learned:
Heated grips are useful at 100% setting
All layers should be synthetic
The bags per Ferret's recommendation are good. ( anyone seen my rain cover?)
If you are cold enough you don't think about how your butt feels
Must rainx visor

And I'm headed to Vegas to see my dad for the halibut. I'll fly home for the week and ride home next weekend
 
Holy Smokes that is some wintry weather. Glad you are safely ensconced in a hot tub of water to warm up. Rain covers are about useless. They just love to blow off someplace. Use garbage bags inside your luggage with the top folded over and you never have to worry about it.

Last summer when we left Pikes Peak and were headed for 80, the wind was so strong I took pics of my buddy on his V strom getting blown from near the center lane over across the white line and riding on a 45 degree angle for like 2 hours, before we turned and got the wind to our backs headed home lol
 
I hit that same type of weather on my CB (750) coming back home from Logan Ut, Every mountain pass was snowing, (just like your photo) and I ended up holed up in Beaver Ut, where a truck stop had a 'truckers' room that was heated to 80-85+ I stayed there for three or four hours till my core was warm enough, and yes. Synthetic layers ONLY, Down is great, until it gets wet, then loses everything..


Warm up, and enjoy the rest of the ride tomorrow.
 
That looks like a good ride. Around 1600miles round trip. One of those "wish I was there" ones. Be careful, cold is one thing but wet and cold is on the dangerous side. Sorry, I'm sure I'm not telling you anything you don't already know. If it makes you feel any better, yours is not the only CB to have felt the cold. But we were dry.

50f5e8b550d404634da62a1631550ebc.jpg


Good photos and narrative. Cant wait for the next episode.

Cheers

By the way, and way off topic, anyone on the forum walked the "Evolution Loop"? If so PM me. Thanks.
 
Great report and a great, if unexpected, adventure. Be careful on your ride out of Page; there's a rather large hole in the ground to your left and I would not want you to get sucked into it. ;)
 
Great report! Hard core! I've found cold is a special kind of hell so I never complain when it's hot. I haven't had much luck mixing snow and motorcycles so I try to avoid it.
 
Good write up. Cold and wet is never a good time but there's the good feeling you get afterwards that you endured and got through it safely. Well done.
 
Great write up and pictures. Apropos Pterodactyl's picture, the day before we were very wet indeed—or I was. Literally tipped water out of my boots at the end of the day.

Be careful with cold. It can lead you to hypothermia which isn't funny at all and you don't really know it's happening. Like a frog in a pot. Veech had a good story about getting cold here
 
i remember my last cold, wet, mountain ride. It was the ride before I invested in a heavy duty waterproof rain suit. Cold is no fun, but cold and wet is just plain miserable when you've got miles to cover.

Glad to see your weather improved today.
 
Thread starter
Today I got out of Page under sunny skies. I of course chose the scenic route, and went a handful of miles out of my way before I got on the right track. This took me around the vermilion cliffs which were beautiful, and then up over Jacob's Lake. The temps were on the cool side(low 50s) Jacobs lake was around 8000 ft and was freezing compared to the 5000ft floors. It felt like I was in the clouds and snow could happen at any minute but I got down in the dry.

5d9be5789c6ca46eab0adf5865512c87.jpg

9ebf49ebdacef04b137465c2792441c4.jpg

5e7dda2d1e522c570ac725f4e6409177.jpg


Thanks to my earlier error I cruised into Fredonia on fumes. A couple of Harley guys were filling up. After my report it looked like the turned around...

Driving through Colorado City, AZ none of the houses have siding? Just OSB and call it a day. No stopping.

On through St George and hopped on I15 . There aren't any scenic routes into Vegas so 15 it was.

Stopped in Mesquite for some $$$ gas. no services for 29 miles...

e125f194b63d5ec5282039cf9c86fbec.jpg


On into Vegas. The headwind was ridiculous at times but at least it was sunny and warm. Some tourists tried to take me out passing by the strip. Look twice morons! I got in around 2 in the afternoon.

I'll fly home tomorrow and be back next weekend for the trip home. I'm pretty sure it will be I70 straight home.
 
More great photos, Scudrunr. Thanks for posting.

I thought of you when I got a good soaking on my ride home today. Very wet but not too cold.
 
Scudrunr is the man. Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays this man from the swift completion of his appointed ride.

CheePrs
 
That's very good Pterodactyl. I had to look it up, but it's entirely appropriate.
 
Back
Top