Deerskin gloves

the Ferret

Road warrior
Thread starter
I love deerskin gloves. Have worn them for 30 years or more. Soft, supple, comfortable from the first second you put them on, lightweight, yet they can comfortably be worn in temperatures way lower and way higher than you think you could. Personally I wear them in the same temp ranges where I would my leather jacket ..from 40 to 90. They are thin enough to fold and stick in a jacket pocket without the pocket bulging out funny.

My main pair was starting to sun fade (color wise turning from black to gray) and I lamented that to my wife. She ordered me a new pair from some place called American Leathers I think. However I found I was still wearing the old pair for the most part and saving the new ones. Always good to have a pair for back up just in case.

Anyhow both my old pair and the new pair had short cuffs and I noticed during the Fall Men's Ride, when we'd take off in the mid 40's in the mornings, cool air would sometimes work it's way past the short cuff of the glove and up the sleeve of my leather.

I found out online that Fox Creek who made my new leather jacket also makes a gauntleted black deerskin glove. I called up Fox Creek and after assurances the gauntlets would indeed go over the sleeves on my leather jacket I ordered up a pair. For $59 and free shipping, it was a no-brainer (even for a tight wad like me).

They came in today. All I can say is awesome! All the great features of my regular short cuff deerskin gloves only with a gauntlet that indeed fits over the jacket sleeves. Once again Fox Creek has made me a happy man.

 
And a lucky one. :)
 
Thread starter
Love to, I hear they are awesome, but see my tight wad admission above.... Holy moly they are pricy
 
Thread starter
Lol..a Maserati is not expensive if you are Bill Gates. It's all relative.
 
I see a kind of win win situation here. If enough motorcyclists wear deer skin gloves then less deer crossing the road. Unless, of course, the deer are manufactured in China by sweat shop bucks and does. On the positive side that would make the deer skin gloves less dear. Bit tough on the dear deer though.

Cheers
 
Thread starter
All true Ptero!

Deerskin sounds a lot better than forest rat skin, don't you think?
 
redbirds_imp said:
Has anyone tried the gloves from Lee Park Design? Saw these at a bike show years back. Soft and very well crafted though a bit expensive-probably worth the cost.

http://www.leeparksdesign.com/category/gloves/
My wife, I, and most of our riding group have Lee Parks gloves. We all bought them together at the Bike Show and he gave us a pretty good deal. They're great. I like that they have reinforcement patches on the palm and knuckles. I have tan Deer Tours for summer and black Deer Tours PCIs for cooler weather. Pricey, but we love them.
 
My black leather gloves also faded from the sun so I bought a spray can of black shoe polish and sprayed them with it.
It worked for me and it didn't rub off.
YMMV.
 
Added bonus: If you ever find yourself in the position of having your honor or integrity questioned, those gauntlets are the perfect glove to remove, swiftly swat across the face of the offender, and throw to the ground. Pistols at seven paces to commence the following morning.
 
Pistols, MG? How undignified. Rapiers, surely. :P
 
The best gloves in my opinion are the Held gloves, I have a summer pair and a spring/fall pair and will get the winter ones as well.
They are very well made and fit me great, I especially like the build in "wiper" on the left index finger .
 
Thread starter
Cormanus_imp said:
Pistols, MG? How undignified. Rapiers, surely. :P
Heck, I'd do Rapiers at seven paces...seems safe enough!

Held gloves are the creme of the crop, no doubt.

I'd like to try some elkskin gloves. I have several elkskin bowhunting items and it is nice stuff!
 
Rapiers are messy. At a distance, not so much. With a name like ferret, I would suspect him to make a difficult target for either. Watch your tongue around that gentleman lest you lose it in one clean swipe.

I have a pair of the Held winter gloves and as much as I dislike having to wear gloves that thick, they are excellent at keeping my hands warm, dry in the occasional downpour, and I agree, the rubber wipe on the finger is nifty.
 
Thread starter
Wore my deerskins on todays ride.... 101 miles, 2 hours, 59 degrees, a little spit of rain at times... Hands were perfectly comfortable. Love my deerskin gloves.
 
Back
Top