Dec 24 rides

Thread starter
Awesome MG. Ran into a guy from some place in Cali today who is back visiting family and he said it was colder and wetter in Cali than here. Doesn't seem right. He works for Raytheon or something (weather satellite related)

December has been just unbelievable. Only missed 1 day of riding (so far) due to heavy rain and have accumulated 1688 miles for the month...of December...in Ohio! Un-real
 
G'day, Mrs Ferret! :hello:

It's a good thing the El Niño does someone some good.
 
Thread starter
Is it bad for you Cormanus?
 
We are looking at possible snow out here. Haven't ridden all week since classes are over and I don't need to go into Seattle where I benefit from better parking on the bike.
I try not to ride when it is below 40F. I don't mind a little (or a lot) of rain but I'd rather not deal with icy roads on the CB.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Is it bad for you Cormanus?
Not so much for me personally, Ferret; but for people in the South Pacific it's not so good. There are droughts and the food production drops significantly leaving people hungry and irascible. I've read that there are bad droughts and serious food shortages in PNG this year as a result of El Niño.

In the past the Australian east coast has been badly affected with very serious droughts after years of successive El Niño events. We get very nervous when the wether chappies tell us there's one on the way.

It's a classic case of 'It's an ill wind ...'
 
Wow! Blue skies you lucky dog. I'm only a couple states to your east and we haven't seen blue skies for almost a week. I've been wanting to try out my new Corbin, and every time it stops raining I get it out, travel a couple hundred feet and the sky opens up again. We have had some really loud thunder and brilliant flashes of lightning. Unheard of here at Christmas time. Our poor dog doesn't know what is going on.
 
Looks great Mickey. Weather here has been a bit cooler than down by you, but still rideable. Alas, family obligations have kept us off the bikes yesterday and may do so today, although I'm pushing to squeeze a ride in today with Cheryl so she can continue her consecutive months riding count.

Great pictures and a great way to spend Christmas Eve.
 
Great Ride. As EmptySea said yesterday had obligations that kept me off of the bike but it looks like a day I could ride here in Chicagoland. Have a great Christmas
 
We undergo unusual warm temperatures here in Germany, too. This was the third Dec 24 ride in a row over the last years.

Usually we have here an average temperature of 1°C at this time of the year. Currently lowest is 6°C in the night and highest 12°C at day.

I enjoyed a ride of about 250 km into some less known to me regions here NE where I live, exploring some roads for next year's group rides. Very low traffic, as all were preparing for Christmas Eve.

4e0d6f4256df6bcdd4dcab0eff899836.jpg


1505d92cd659a433b0fdb0a006ec62a5.jpg


a9eb79a5ffab7f259332bbe035dd2273.jpg
 
Thread starter
Nice that you were able to get out Django. How do the mitts work out for you? No pressing on the brake lever?
 
Wow, looks like you'll have to park the bike for a few minutes and break out the lawn mower. Too cold here in Denver, 12*F here right now with 3 or so in. of snow on the ground. Only managed to put on about 40 mi. in Dec. Looks like we wont be above freezing for at least a week:(.
 
Hi Ferret,

the mitts work out fine for me. I can wear my comfortable all round gloves and still have warm fingers, even down to temperatures just above freezing point.

Inside the mitts I can still reach all controls, much better than wearing clumsy winter gloves.

I also had some concerns about wind pressure at high speed, while I searched for the right model. I heard from other mitts, that they produce pressure on the clutch lever, which then caused problems. But the cut of these ones is right flat and seems not to produce that much wind resistance.

Yet I have not experienced any problems at all up to 140 km/h (~90 mph), which I did also at Dec 24 at a stretch along the Autobahn to get home fast. But then, they feel a little bit tighter around my hand at that speed.

However, I look forward to get rid of them, when it'll be warmer again. But until then it's better to have a somehow clumsy look than really cold fingers.
 
Thread starter
Doug that's why I couldn't live there lol.

Django I have some on my ST no problem, and I love them. But on my brothers FZ-1 anything over 40 pushed on the front brake lever. We built guards to hold them away from the levers on his.
 
Back
Top