That's "blue book", as "Kelly Blue Book", "KBB.com".
I have to assume that bike dealers work like car dealers, and they use the lowest listing for the year and model, regardless of the actual condition and mileage.
Are there secret sections for paid members only, in the dead-tree versions? Probably. But what I've found, in the last five years, is that dealers are getting lazy; they price and they pay on trade-in, pretty close to those values.
Or rather they start there and then start working up, if you're buying, or down, if you're trading in.
Never did a MC trade in, Trying to see what the dealer would come up with.. Whatever i see on KBB is the best trade-in value i can expect OR does it depend on other factors? (Trading in a - 09 FJR with 3K Miles)
Never did a MC trade in, Trying to see what the dealer would come up with.. Whatever i see on KBB is the best trade-in value i can expect OR does it depend on other factors? (Trading in a - 09 FJR with 3K Miles)
Typical rule of thumb is that they will pay one-half to two-thirds its NADA/KBB market value.
Why even bother? They're taking the risk. Motorcycles are hard things to sell; he might have to sit on it a year or more. Paying to turn the lights on every day of that year.
You get the check that day. OR...you can take the time to advertise it; meet callers; half of whom are wasting your time. Then hope to God that his check clears - or deal with his reaction to the implied insult when you insist he go with you to his bank or yours, to confirm the check is good.
That's a lot of time and nuisance. I've sold some myself; traded a few in; and set a couple up for consignment by dealers who do that.
I put my 09 FJR with a bit over 10k miles up for consignment at my favorite local dealer in May. It was well farkled. He sold it in 2 weeks for $8995.00. He took his cut, I got a bit over $7600. This was over a thousand more then what I paid for my 2013 CB1100 with just under 3000 miles on it.
I traded my CB 2 months ago, trade in value was $4800.00 the dealer gave me 5500.00 plus tax savings on trade the deal was worth to me $5900.00 couldn't have go much more privately.
If your trading work your best deal on the new bike than negotiate price on the trade or they'll just raise the price on the new bike.