dead battery

Good new louied. Glad it was as simple as that. (and that your bike was still at the gas station when you returned)
 
Glad you got it sorted out Louied!
 
Good news, louied. I hope it was your bike at the station ...
 
Louie thanks for letting us know it is sorted out and put our collective minds at ease, all the best from down-under.
 
For future reference, a fully charged AGM battery should read 13.8 volts.

The charging system, above about 2,000 rpm, should put out 14.3 volts, plus or minus 0.5 volts.
 
New experience for me. While riding my bike down the road, it suddenly began to cut out and finally just died. My mechanic said it is a dead battery. I've had cars and bikes fail to start because of a dead battery, but never have I had an engine stop running while driving because of a dead battery. And this battery, even though it had about 14,000 miles on it, was only one year old and kept on a trickle charger all the time except during a two month trip this summer.
 
That’s interesting, 1970Cadillac. I’d have thought the alternator would keep the bike going.
 
Never heard of anyone else having this experience. Was it an off brand battery? 1 year on a battery kept on a trickle charger doesn't make any sense. Most of us get at least 4 years out of our batteries. My current battery was installed 5/12/2018. The original went from 3/2014 to 5/2018.
 
Mine did the same. Riding home from work, stopped for gas, went to start it. Nothing. I bump started it and got home. Put new battery in, that's all it was.....

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
 
Sounds like you might want to get a second opinion. Something caused the battery to "die." Maybe your mechanic overlooked a loose wire or connection or a part that isn't working up to par, like an alternator. On the other hand, you could install a new battery and see how long it lasts. Also, there are ways to check that battery and see if it is faulty, which might be the best place to start. Your mechanic isn't named Gomer or Goober, is he?
 
MMC_imp said:
Mine did the same. Riding home from work, stopped for gas, went to start it. Nothing. I bump started it and got home. Put new battery in, that's all it was.....

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
Yours was different in that you turned yours off and it wouldn't restart. A lot of us have had that experience when the battery reached the end of its life (4 years for me).

1970Cadillac says he was riding down the road and the bike just quit, and that the battery was only 1 year old.
 
The CB1100 can quit if the running RPM is too low (low speed in high gear) and the battery is weak.

The easy workaround is to ride one or two gears lower than you normally would. That should get you home safely, even if home is 300 kms away.

Of course, an assumption is made that the charging circuit is operating normally.
 
My battery was giving me trouble for the last few weeks. Sometimes it would start, sometimes not, after riding for an hour I stop for water, and it won't restart. I have a long sloping driveway, ideal for bump starting. Fortunately, I've always be able to get a guy willing to give me a little push on the topbox, pop the clutch in first, and away we go. Got tired of that and went to four places in one day looking for the battery, no one had it. I had to cancel on a ride the next day, and that guy told me a place to get one. It was pricey, but at least they had it. What is the going rate for a battery for the CB, anyway?
 
I think the last one I got was about $140, factory battery by part number from dealer.
 
Paid $109 at Advance Auto Parts less than a month ago. Auto Zone and Advance Auto, O'Reilly should have them. You don't need to go to a motorcycle place for the battery.
 
You likely want a battery that is spec'ed to handle harsh environments like that of the hot/cold environments and jarring motions of a motorcycle. Otherwise, premature delamination of the charge plates could result, depending on battery build quality.

Optionally, LiFePO4 batteries have significantly come down in price and are highly durable.
 
Back
Top