dead battery

louied_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Rode yesterday for hours, made several stops and the bike started just fine. Last night, stopped for gas and the bike won't start, no juice on the display or gauges, does not turn over. Nothing. Then I jumped it from my car battery. It started up. As soon as I disconnect the jumper cable, totally dead. I tried again and kept the jumper cables on for 30 minutes. Disconnected and once again, totally dead. Is this simply a dead battery or something else? Thanks for any/all advice!
 
Welcome, louied, although I see you've been a member for a couple of years. Glad you got around to posting.

One of our resident electrical wizards will be along to provide you with advice deeply-rooted in actual knowledge. I can tell you only that when my battery died I was able to jump start the bike and it ran OK.
 
Your problem may lie in your thread title. Start with it first, backed by proper diag/load tester or voltmeter.
 
Thread starter
exactly 2 years old. And yes, it's hot as he** in Jacksonville, FL.
I'm just worried about not holding a charge after jump start.
 
A charged up battery may be able to run a couple hours on just the battery.

If you have a good battery installed, or have the car battery jumping it (without the car running), hook a voltmeter to the battery. If the voltage doesn't change as you rev it, your charging system likely is not working. It could be a bad connection, bad regulator/rectifier, or stator windings.

Unless the battery has an open circuit. Check what voltage it has.
 
It's good you've joined the conversation now, louied. :thumbsup: Which CB1100 do you have?

Two years is quite young for a CB's battery.
 
What PeterBaron said.

When these AGM batteries die they give little to no warning. Change the battery.

I use only OEM from Japan Yuasa batteries and only get 3 years even though some members get a lot more life from them. I lucked out last month as mine failed at the dealer! I knew it was going and was planning on buying a new one. Well I did!

How did I know it was going? You have to be in tune with the bike. The starter was cranking slightly slower than normal. Figured I had a few starts left. Nope, rode to the dealer for a state inspection. The mech. went to get the bike from from out front and said won’t start. Dead battery.

Edit: Duck knows his stuff, but I’d change the battery first. I will say we haven’t really seen any charging problems yet so I would guess yours hasn’t failed. I could be wrong...
 
Thread starter
A new battery is on the way. I will install it later this week, so I can hopefully ride it home. It is sitting in a gas station parking lot, yikes!
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
What PeterBaron said.

When these AGM batteries die they give little to no warning. Change the battery.

I use only OEM from Japan Yuasa batteries and only get 3 years even though some members get a lot more life from them. I lucked out last month as mine failed at the dealer! I knew it was going and was planning on buying a new one. Well I did!

How did I know it was going? You have to be in tune with the bike. The starter was cranking slightly slower than normal. Figured I had a few starts left. Nope, rode to the dealer for a state inspection. The mech. went to get the bike from from out front and said won’t start. Dead battery.

Edit: Duck knows his stuff, but I’d change the battery first. I will say we haven’t really seen any charging problems yet so I would guess yours hasn’t failed. I could be wrong...
Are you OK Lord Popgun?
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Lord Popgun_imp said:
What PeterBaron said.

When these AGM batteries die they give little to no warning. Change the battery.

I use only OEM from Japan Yuasa batteries and only get 3 years even though some members get a lot more life from them. I lucked out last month as mine failed at the dealer! I knew it was going and was planning on buying a new one. Well I did!

How did I know it was going? You have to be in tune with the bike. The starter was cranking slightly slower than normal. Figured I had a few starts left. Nope, rode to the dealer for a state inspection. The mech. went to get the bike from from out front and said won’t start. Dead battery.

Edit: Duck knows his stuff, but I’d change the battery first. I will say we haven’t really seen any charging problems yet so I would guess yours hasn’t failed. I could be wrong...
Are you OK Lord Popgun?
Are you OK Lord Popgun?
My Lord, do you need any help??
 
No, I’m good. I mean, there COULD be part failure. But its gonna be the battery or PD will never let me hear the end of it ;)
 
These new factory filled and sealed YTZ-series batteries sometimes give up the ghost with no warning at all. I hate them. The old type that you had to keep filling with water seemed to last the longest and give the most warning.

I think the YTX-type that comes with a pre-measured acid pack and that you seal are the best compromise.
 
You mentioned that your batterie was only 2 years old but was it an OEM or some cheaper , well less known item ? There are fake Yuasa batteries on the internet for a lot less money and even lesser quality.
 
louied_imp said:
2014 non-ABS
If the battery was original it is 6 years old, even if you bought it in 2018.

Did you or the seller put a new one in 2 years ago?
 
I'm late to this thread and it may be too late, but on the road a couple years ago my friend's bike did the same thing. After futzing around with it and trying to find a new battery in small-town WV, we discovered that one of his battery cables was loose. Check all the easy things first.
 
Thread starter
It's not the OEM battery. I put this battery in 2 years ago. It's a Mighty Max YTZ14S; $40 battery I bought from Amazon. I checked the battery cables and they are clean and connection is tight.
 
It sounds like a cheap NO GOOD batterie to me , I pay more than 4 times for the OEM Yuasa batterie . cheap is never good and good is never cheap !
 
Back
Top