Deactivating front running lights

rsp123_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Greetings all. My DLX is on its way from Florida. I have a set of type II bars to go on, and I'd like some advice on another mod:

Before I moved to the US, I rode various bikes for very many years in the UK and Europe. No bike I ever owned there had US-style daytime running lights (front turn signals [or indicators as we call them in Britain] that stay on all the time). I believe that is still the case. Here in the US, the front turn signals are on all the time - the so-called running lights.

Now, I wouldn't think of riding without a bright front light on, day or night, but it seems to me that having the turn signals on all the time as well as the headlight does nothing to increase my visibility and lowers the contrast of the turn signal - at a glance it may not be clear if I am intending to turn or not. In short I'd like to deactivate the front running lights. A front "running" light is required by law in many states, but this does not have to be the turn signals.

I understand that the bulbs have two elements, so is it just a matter of cutting a wire or moving a jumper, or will I need a European turn signal relay? Any ideas? RSP
 
At night, these lights are visible and identify your vehicle as a motorcycle instead of a bicycle or a car with a single headlight.
 
Thread starter
Ulvetanna_imp said:
At night, these lights are visible and identify your vehicle as a motorcycle instead of a bicycle or a car with a single headlight.

Thanks for your post. I doubt I will be riding at night much, if at all, and the gain in signal contrast and clarity during the daytime will more than outweigh any loss of ID at night.

Besides, if having the turn signals on all the time as running lights made a measurable difference, we should see it the accident data from those places where the turn signals are only used as turn signals, like Europe. We don't. Running lights do make a difference, to be sure, but in the studies I've seen "running lights" means riding with the headlight on, which is a no-brainer.
 
RSP, if you look at the wiring diagram you will see that the turn signals are single element bulbs. One side is tied to ground and the other goes to the turn signal relay.

The bulbs are on all the time, so the relay must break the line to flash it.

Since the rears are not on all the time, the relay must energise the line to flash. I would imagine you could de-pin the relay connector and rearrange the wiring so that the front and rear signals are tied together and then work the same. Looks easy enough on the diagram, but I'd have to do futher research and I'm not taking up that project. May need some new pins too, or be really good with soldering. Or do a hack job. Good luck with that!
 
Thread starter

RSP, if you look at the wiring diagram you will see that the turn signals are single element bulbs. One side is tied to ground and the other goes to the turn signal relay.

The bulbs are on all the time, so the relay must break the line to flash it.

Aha! That would suggest a simple wire swap somewhere. Many thanks.
 
This is my take on running lights, coincidently just finished fitting them an hour ago on my recently acquired CB. The same set have been on my last 3 bikes over 5 years now. Some say they help visibility, some say not.

Dropbox
 
Thread starter
EmptySea_imp said:
RSP...cool Avatar. At the risk of sounding un-hip, is there a significance to it?
It's known as the Kanizsa Illusion - we think we're seeing something (triangles) but we're actually confabulating. Life is often like this.
marvincon_imp said:
This is my take on running lights, coincidently just finished fitting them an hour ago on my recently acquired CB. The same set have been on my last 3 bikes over 5 years now. Some say they help visibility, some say not.

Dropbox
They look great.

Do I see braided hoses on your bike? I'm thinking of this mod. How do you find them?
 
Confabulating?? Are you related to Cormanus and Pterodactyl :) I need a better education.
 
Thread starter
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Confabulating?? Are you related to Cormanus and Pterodactyl :) I need a better education.
Sorry. It's a bad habit. Confabulation is a technical term in cognitive science. It means that in some situations our brains "fill in" gaps - in memories, images, sounds, all sorts of things.

So yes, I'm definitely a dinosaur...
 
I suppose there's plenty of confabulation going on with me given the number of gaps in my brain. Welcome to the forum rsp and congratulations on the DLX. Have fun with your mods!
 
This doesn't seem like the best idea. I have never had a motorcycle with running lights coming towards me and been confused if their turn signal was on or not because of them. Anything that increases your visibility to others on the road is a good thing.

Just because some bikes in Europe don't have the running lights doesn't make the running lights a bad thing to have.
 
Thread starter
olekzap_imp said:
This doesn't seem like the best idea. I have never had a motorcycle with running lights coming towards me and been confused if their turn signal was on or not because of them. Anything that increases your visibility to others on the road is a good thing.

Just because some bikes in Europe don't have the running lights doesn't make the running lights a bad thing to have.

I agree that increasing visibility is a good thing. Riding with forward-facing lights on, in daytime, is clearly the right thing to do. I'm merely questioning whether having both front turn signals on, all the time, is the best way to go about this. In Europe NO bikes have this system of (amber) running lights - I think it may be illegal. If you want to ride with running lights in Europe you must either turn the headlight on, or else install separate white lights.

A question arises here though: if I disable the always-on turn signals, will I be required to alter the headlight too? California law requires a light to come on with the engine. I take it the DLX has a discrete light switch for the headlight.
 
You would be taking that wrong :). Headlight comes on with the ignition. There is only a bright/dim switch.
 
if all you care about is the amber light, then i believe there is an led replacement bulb for the front turn signals that are white running and amber turning.
 
Thread starter
Lord Popgun_imp said:
You would be taking that wrong :). Headlight comes on with the ignition. There is only a bright/dim switch.
Thanks for that. Good to know.

Manufacturers do have to make considerable changes to a product depending on the country they are exporting to. Must add quite a bit to the price having multiple production lines.
 
Back
Top