Data Migration Has Been Completed

rdprdp01

Administrator
Thread starter
We have completed the data migration from cb1100forum.com. We brought over 13,600+ threads and 258,000+ posts. We are in the cleanup phase now. We have done everything we can to eliminate white space left behind from graphic images that were not available to scrape. We are in the process now of trying to correct broken links. Attached files were very problematic. In the limited testing that I did on the old site, many of the attached files would not open. I believe that issue is related to site maintenance. It is definitely not related to anything a Member did while posting.

I will make everyone aware when the correct-the-url-link initiative has been completed. Like with text, graphics, and attachments, we will do the best we can. Because of the age of some of the post, links may be dead even if they are properly formatted. 

Please be advised that the data migration was a one-time event. If you post something on the old site and want it to be appear on this site, you will have to re-post. I strongly encourage you to keep a backup of anything you post on the original site. I would also encourage you not to post anything sensitive or confidential on that site, either. There are some security vulnerabilities there. 

Guth was very right when he referred to Honda CB1100 Forum - For fans of Honda's CB1100 as a “tired and weary Forum.” The content is spectacular, the Members are even better, and Guth, The Ferret, and Cormanus built something worth preserving. However, the technical foundations are buckling. I have done the best I can to preserve the good work from all those who proceeded me. Now, I am pivoting to focus on this site and help make it what the 200 or so active members want it to be.

I will be asking for input when finish the data cleanup. Take care and have a great weekend. David
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0534.webp
    IMG_0534.webp
    36.5 KB · Views: 54
rdprdp01, you've spent a considerable amount of time and, I suspect, a considerable amount of money to preserve the contents of the cb1100forum.com. Those of us who continue to be members of both forums are in your debt.

Thank you.
 
What Cormanus said. In the past I (and others) offered to donate to Guth to offset expenses. Guth would not accept and always politely refused. I would gladly donate if you decide to accept them.
 
I’m surprised it completed so quickly to be honest. With as often as the old site is overwhelmed and goes offline, it’s amazing it completed at all. Strong work Dave!
 
Thread starter
Whoops said:
I’m surprised it completed so quickly to be honest. With as often as the old site is overwhelmed and goes offline, it’s amazing it completed at all. Strong work Dave!

We did 24/7 data pulls with some timeout capabilities built into the script. We tried as best we could to not bring the old Forum down. I think we were mostly successful, but it did take over 100 hours to move the Threads and Posts. I am glad it is done, but the refinement phase is tedious. We have a lot of posts! Photo Bucket or whatever they are called has created a huge problem for me. It appears that outfit did a bait and switch on the Members back in the day. I am struggling to discern when a photo URL reference is real vs when a Member told them to pound sand and discontinued their account. We are going to work on it for a few more days and then ask everyone to live with what we have. David
 
Thread starter
Lord Popgun said:
What Cormanus said.  In the past I (and others) offered to donate to Guth to offset expenses.  Guth would not accept and always politely refused.  I would gladly donate if you decide to accept them.

I believe this is the proper way I should address you:

MiLord, I appreciate the offer but I am going to decline. It was expensive to get to where we are at now. However, I feel like the financial responsibility is mine. I raised my hand and somewhat knew what I was getting into. The money has left my account, and what is done is done. Let’s let the financial concerns fade into the background. There is no need to bring them up again. Guth and I may share that in common. :)

At an obligation level, I feel a debt that I am still trying to pay back. Unlike most of you, I measure my tenure on the Forum in months, not years. I joined in July 2024. I do not have hundreds of threads or thousands of posts on my scorecard. I have tried to be thorough and thoughtful with each Thread I submit, hoping the extra effort will help another Forum member. But when the tally is done, I have taken more than I have given. I hope to balance everything out over the coming years.

Cormanus has agreed to partner with me to help mature the new Forum and keep it current and relevant for everyone. He is an Administrator as much as I am. He does not like it when I use the term, but I am glad I have a boss and even more importantly, a great crew to support. Will this Forum ever peak like it did when the CB1100 was in production? No. Can it bring 200 or so Members together to have a laugh, share stuff about a fantastic motorcycle, and keep the Guth Legacy alive? Absolutely.

I will not let you down. You have my word. David
 
Well said, thanks to David and everyone else who worked hard to make the new forum come alive again!!
 
rdprdp01 said:
Lord Popgun said:
What Cormanus said.  In the past I (and others) offered to donate to Guth to offset expenses.  Guth would not accept and always politely refused.  I would gladly donate if you decide to accept them.

I believe this is the proper way I should address you:

MiLord, I appreciate the offer but I am going to decline. It was expensive to get to where we are at now. However, I feel like the financial responsibility is mine. I raised my hand and somewhat knew what I was getting into. The money has left my account, and what is done is done. Let’s let the financial concerns fade into the background. There is no need to bring them up again. Guth and I may share that in common. :)

At an obligation level, I feel a debt that I am still trying to pay back. Unlike most of you, I measure my tenure on the Forum in months, not years. I joined in July 2024. I do not have hundreds of threads or thousands of posts on my scorecard. I have tried to be thorough and thoughtful with each Thread I submit, hoping the extra effort will help another Forum member. But when the tally is done, I have taken more than I have given. I hope to balance everything out over the coming years.

Cormanus has agreed to partner with me to help mature the new Forum and keep it current and relevant for everyone. He is an Administrator as much as I am. He does not like it when I use the term, but I am glad I have a boss and even more importantly, a great crew to support. Will this Forum ever peak like it did when the CB1100 was in production? No. Can it bring 200 or so Members together to have a laugh, share stuff about a fantastic motorcycle, and keep the Guth Legacy alive? Absolutely.

I will not let you down. You have my word. David

Please drive carefully!  ...and maybe also setup a gMail (or similar) account that has the database, hosting, etc recovery credentials in case of an accident that sends a recovery email to an emergency contact in case you "go offline" for an extended period. It would be a shame to have the admin access lost again considering the work you put into this and the effort involved in rounding everyone up and getting them to migrate.
 
Thread starter
Good morning, Whoops, and All Other Members of the Forum,

You have given good counsel and given all that has taken place, I believe it is reasonable to be both concerned about how this Forum is being managed and to want assurance that we will not end up with a similiar problem. Here are few nerd details behind the scenes:

Admin Privilidges: Cormanus and I share Admin responsibility for this Forum. We both have credentials to the Hosting Provider (a2hosting.com) and the MyBB Platform we are using now. a2hosting.com is one of the best hosting providers in the United States. They have true technical support based in the United States and will accept a help desk request to resolve hosting issues.

Platform: We are running on the latest, most secure, and best MyBB release.

Custom Code: I have paid to have custom code created for this site. It is checked into a Code Vaults which I used to support my business.

MyBB Maintenance: I started out knowing nothing, but have advanced to a better than average MyBB Administrator. I hope to reach Power Admin Status at year’s end. Here is how I am managing the back end while Cormanus considers features and the future of the site:

Basic Tasks annd Cleanup occurs daily. Most of it has been scripted to run and produce a report that I audit daily:

WtgYSDy.png



jmxblCK.png


I track activity on the Forum to make sure that I can respond to any brute force attack. I take appropriate action by blocking IP addresses when required.

hsVy5H5.png


I monitor Moderator, Admin, and System logs to make sure nothing out of the ordinary is taking place:

o3kdaxW.png


nmucOuo.png


And I back everything up twice daily and copy those backups to my Data Centers in San Jose and Los Angeles as part of our Distaster Recovery Protocls:

ZkRmif1.png


And I optimized the databases daily to make sure we do not have the time outs and locks which causes the legacy Forum to timeout:

ME34isi.png



I suspect this geek breakfast is much more than you ever wanted to know.  :)  But I do want the Forum Members to know that I feel the responsibility of both protecting your data and enabling your access to the Forum on demand. I have done all that I know to do to meet those obligations. Have a great week. David
 
Thread starter
hi rdprdp01 said:
Good morning, Whoops, and All Other Members of the Forum,

You have given good counsel and given all that has taken place, I believe it is reasonable to be both concerned about how this Forum is being managed and to want assurance that we will not end up with a similiar problem. Here are few nerd details behind the scenes:

Admin Privilidges: Cormanus and I share Admin responsibility for this Forum. We both have credentials to the Hosting Provider (a2hosting.com) and the MyBB Platform we are using now. a2hosting.com is one of the best hosting providers in the United States. They have true technical support based in the United States and will accept a help desk request to resolve hosting issues.

Platform: We are running on the latest, most secure, and best MyBB release.

Custom Code: I have paid to have custom code created for this site. It is checked into a Code Vaults which I used to support my business.

MyBB Maintenance: I started out knowing nothing, but have advanced to a better than average MyBB Administrator. I hope to reach Power Admin Status at year’s end. Here is how I am managing the back end while Cormanus considers features and the future of the site:

Basic Tasks annd Cleanup occurs daily. Most of it has been scripted to run and produce a report that I audit daily:

WtgYSDy.png



jmxblCK.png


I track activity on the Forum to make sure that I can respond to any brute force attack. I take appropriate action by blocking IP addresses when required.

hsVy5H5.png


I monitor Moderator, Admin, and System logs to make sure nothing out of the ordinary is taking place:

o3kdaxW.png


nmucOuo.png


And I back everything up twice daily and copy those backups to my Data Centers in San Jose and Los Angeles as part of our Distaster Recovery Protocls:

ZkRmif1.png


And I optimized the databases daily to make sure we do not have the time outs and locks which causes the legacy Forum to timeout:

ME34isi.png



I suspect this geek breakfast is much more than you ever wanted to know.  :)  But I do want the Forum Members to know that I feel the responsibility of both protecting your data and enabling your access to the Forum on demand. I have done all that I know to do to meet those obligations. Have a great week. David

P.S. I document everything each week. The screen shots included in this post are part of the documentation I created previously. If I do not write it down, I forget!
 
Wow.
Impressive. Most impressive.
 
Just wanted to say I am getting this forum on google searches above the .com forum!
 
Back
Top