Dashcam for motorcycle

17-CB-002

Been there
Thread starter
I am looking at purchasing a dashcam for motorcycle.
The one that I am interested should be motorcycle mounted, any ideas/feedback from forum members?

Thanks
Alain
 
I've been thinking about this for a while and recently decided to go with a GoPro7 with both a handlebar mount and a chin mount for the helmet. With both mounts I opted for Aluminum instead of plastic for durability.

Although I just started using it and I haven't tested the helmet mount yet I'm initially happy with the handlebar mount. The images are smooth but there is a learning curve with editing and "stitching" (their term, not mine) the videos together. I'm sure I'll get the hang of it soon.

I was considering more of a motorcycle dashcam option with both front and rear cameras but I realized in Pennsylvania there are no front license plates so if it happened to catch someone rear ending me it wouldn't be usable evidence anyway, so why spend the extra money and lose functionality?
 
I have an INNOVV K2 fitted to my GS. It’s hard-wired and starts and stops with the ignition. The recording loops and easily covers a few days riding if you use a decent memory card.

The results are very good - certainly adequate for ‘evidence’ and pretty good for watching/improving riding techniques. I also take acceptable stills from the video.

Downsides...

1. Cost. It’s not the cheapest system by any means - but I think you get what you pay for - and it is a two camera system with GPS.

2. Wi-Fi. Although you can link your phone to the system and download the recordings, it is too slow to be of any use. In practice I remove the memory card (easy) and use it directly on my laptop.

Here's a very short clip to show the quality. It should be noted that (as with all cameras) the quality is impacted by the light levels and this was recorded on a fairly dull English day...


 
I've wondered about the 'incriminating' bit. Your camera shows the other person clearly in the wrong, but you were 5 mph over the limit, what does your insurance company say about liability? On a wider front, I wonder how long it will be before police start checking people's phone and GPS recordings for evidence of offences.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
I've wondered about the 'incriminating' bit. Your camera shows the other person clearly in the wrong, but you were 5 mph over the limit, what does your insurance company say about liability? On a wider front, I wonder how long it will be before police start checking people's phone and GPS recordings for evidence of offences.
It's a good question. I think if you're over the limit, you are opening up a potential problem with liability claims. I guess that's the reason some folk do not connect the GPS on their dashcam.

Having said that, I'm not 100% sure a dashcam speed indication would be admissible evidence. Imagine if you were caught speeding but your dashcam showed you were not. Do you reckon you'd get away with it? Me neither... ;)
 
I don’t know, Richard. How accurate is GPS speed recording? You could certainly try a challenge to the calibration of whatever device the police had used.
 
Answer; the most accurate in the right circumstances; straight road, no big skyscrapers.

Gps calculates the distance between imaginary "dots"on the road, at very precise intervals, the more dots in a straight line the more accurate the result will be.
Similar to counting every ten light poles with a stopwatch.
How accurate? it presents a cruise missile into a bathroom window 1000 km away consistently provided the window does not move.

The whole world's telecom structure ( how you get the internet ) relies on the accuracy of the atomic clock in n.i.s.t. in Fort Collins Colorado;
vibrations, or frequency) is 9.4×10−19, the best of any clock worldwide. This means the logic clock would now neither gain nor lose one second in 33 billion years, which is about two-and-a-half times the estimated age of the universe.

The way to prove this is to drive with preferably more than two gps systems simultaneously and observe the difference ( if you can measure it ) in speed in various locations, fortunately someone has already done this, fast forward to 9 minutes into the video, our friend is not up to date with everything but he does the test correctly.


The secret is the fact that a gps calibrates itself and a laser or radar instrument needs periodic checks to verify it's accuracy, some officers have the mistaken belief that a gps needs to be calibrated too, if they say that ask them how that's done....
 
Thank you, Max, for that clear explanation. I've moved away from the bathroom window. :D
 
Thread starter
Thanks for your input Gents.

Yes, the INNOVA is very expensive at $450 (Cdn) and I have settled for a $200 price range with 2 cameras.
I can use the screen as a rear view mirror.
 
Thread starter
DashCam Installed.

As previously mentioned, I opted for an on-bike permanently installed camera.

The Make is BlueSkySea and the Model is DV988 with dual Front & Rear cameras

The touch screen feature and software are very intuitive and fully waterproof (1080P @ 30 frame/sec), it can also be used as a camera to take still picture and includes a GPS logger.

Installation was easy, however, was time consuming.
The Front camera was installed on top of the headlight bowl and the rear one was installed on top of the tail light cover.

Works well, easy to use, now it is used as a rear view mirror and trip recording.

Thanks for all your input

Regards
Alain Lee
 
Good stuff Alain :thumbsup:
Now, even I ride behind you, you can still see me, :biker: with you soon :D
 
This is a very nice looking unit that is reasonable priced. Have you tried the WiFi feature yet?
 
Thread starter
Lord Popgun_imp said:
This is a very nice looking unit that is reasonable priced. Have you tried the WiFi feature yet?
Got difficulty connecting to the dashcam Wifi network.

Working on it.
 
If your manual says the password is 12345678, that is not it. Its 1234567890. Check their website, they have it listed.
 
starting to look like a cock pit rather than a set of handlebars lol
 
Thread starter
Lord Popgun_imp said:
If your manual says the password is 12345678, that is not it. Its 1234567890. Check their website, they have it listed.
Thanks, the extra digits works.
Saved me a phone call. :banana:

Do you own one of the BlueSkySea dashcam?

Regards
Alain Lee
The ferret_imp said:
starting to look like a cock pit rather than a set of handlebars lol
Only one item left is to install that rubber thingy RLETS on the brake lever.

Have to find the correct link explaining on how to easily install them. :huh:
 
Back
Top