Dart Screens For 2017 EX & RS

2017EX_imp

Been there
Thread starter
Periodically I have seen members looking for ideas on windscreens. I had been looking at Samuriders Road Comet, an excellent and good looking piece, but a bit more than what I was wanting. I had seen the Dart Marlin and Original Flyscreens, but up to now they only fit CB1100s up to 2016.

The other day I stumbled across the Dart Original and Marlin screens, now available for 2017 Ex & RS. Both come with stainless steel headlight bucket brackets to replace the OEM brackets. The Marlin is $189.95 shipped, the Original is $169.95 shipped. In particular, what struck me, was that the curve and height of the Marlin looks very similar to the classic look of the Road Comet. As a result, I think there is a Dart Marlin in the near future for my 2017 EX.

I thought I would post this for those that might not be aware ( like I was not aware until now ) of this option for 2017 models. https://www.dartflyscreens.com/collections/model-honda-cb1100
 
Thread starter
You really never know until you try any particular screen, unless you know someone that has one on their bike to test ride. There are a lot of variables, like screen height, angle, rider height, seating position and on and on. What is left, is reading the various reviews by other riders, found online. Without a bike to actually ride with a given windscreen, I think it is always going to be an educated guess from reading the reviews.
 
I can tell you in 2013 we discovered that windshields with upper edges below 10" above the ign switch generally caused no turbulence. Above that flag flapping noise.

Whether that holds true on 2017's, someone will have to measure and let us know.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
I can tell you in 2013 we discovered that windshields with upper edges below 10" above the ign switch generally caused no turbulence. Above that flag flapping noise.

Whether that holds true on 2017's, someone will have to measure and let us know.
The Original Flyscreen ( doing the conversion from CM to Inch ) is about 10 1/4" wide, by 10 #/8" tall. That was a little smaller than what I have been looking for. The Dart Marlin screen however, doing the conversion, is about 12 1/2" wide by 13 3/4" tall. That total height, allowing roughly 5 1/2 to 6 inches from the headlight bucket to the top edge of my gauges would result in a distance from the top of the gauges to the top of the screen, of 7 3/4 to 8 1/2". Well below the Ferrets good info on 10" max, and my best guess then is the height will be in the sweet spot.

I have also noticed that the mounting systems for Dart generic, and other brands, typically use a tab on the screen arms that hit the top of the bucket brackets to stop rearward movement or rearward tilt. The Dart specific for the CBs, whether pre 2017, or 2017 forward, use a stainless button head screw that goes through the headlight bracket and screen mounting bracket, to lock the rearward tilt in place. A much cleaner and more desirable method IMHOP.
 
I read in a post here (not able to find it now) that someone had removed the Marlin due to the helmet buffeting it was causing. Not trying to be a wet blanket LOL, I'd like one of these too, I think they look great, but I've spent a lot of money on windshields over the last year and they are all sitting in their box on a shelf in my garage. I don't need another one of those. I'm hoping to see some good reports coming in as related to a 2014 Dlx. Thanks !!
 
jdinaz_imp said:
I read in a post here (not able to find it now) that someone had removed the Marlin due to the helmet buffeting it was causing. Not trying to be a wet blanket LOL, I'd like one of these too, I think they look great, but I've spent a lot of money on windshields over the last year and they are all sitting in their box on a shelf in my garage. I don't need another one of those. I'm hoping to see some good reports coming in as related to a 2014 Dlx. Thanks !!
I searched "dart marlin" back to Dec 2016 and found nothing about removal.
I have one on my 2014 CB1100 and had one on my 2016 Moto Guzzi V7II.
In both applications, they reduced chest pressure, but made no difference to the helmet (3/4 helmet).

All my other (15) bikes were naked. Now I am spoiled.
 
Thread starter
jdinaz_imp said:
I read in a post here (not able to find it now) that someone had removed the Marlin due to the helmet buffeting it was causing. Not trying to be a wet blanket LOL, I'd like one of these too, I think they look great, but I've spent a lot of money on windshields over the last year and they are all sitting in their box on a shelf in my garage. I don't need another one of those. I'm hoping to see some good reports coming in as related to a 2014 Dlx. Thanks !!
I have had my 2017EX for about a year now, and your comment about the screen rejects in the boxes on the shelf in the garage is why I have been taking my time deciding what screen to go with. EBay would be a great place to turn those rejects into some cash to invest in something else, and just because they were not what you wanted, doesn't mean they would not be perfect for someone else.

Aside from wanting something well designed and good looking on the bike, I want something to reduce the pressure on my chest above 60 mph. without helmet buffeting. Comparing the dimensions of the Original Flyscreen, and the Marlin, I think the Original would be a too small for what I to achieve. The Ferrets comment on the sweet spot being below 10 inches in height above the gauges, and SportsterDoc commenting that he has a Marlin on his 2014 with good results, are both very encouraging to me. Here is a link to a post by Easy from Europe, about cutting down a Daytona Blast Barrier screen, and his end result would appear to be in the under 10" height sweet spot. Daytona Blast Barrier windshield - 2017 RS, test and mods

The link I included to the Dart web site page, shows pictures of the Marlin mounted on an RS, but scroll down to customer reviews, and there is a picture of a Marlin mounted on a 2017EX. If you scroll down from the 2017s there are also pictures of the screens mounted to CBs up to 2016.

I really like the look/style of the Road Comet, but it is just more than what I have been looking for. As a matter of personal taste, and although there is nothing wrong with it, I prefer not to use handle bar mount. Many of the aftermarket brands I have looked at have mounting systems adapted to the bike, which may or may not look like an afterthought, so I do like the fact that the Dart system includes bike specific stainless headlight bucket brackets. Changing out the headlight bucket brackets, and dismounting then re-mounting the turn signals means a more involved installation, but I think the extra effort would be worth it.

Certainly not promoting the Dart Marlin, or any other screen for that matter, just outlining my thought processes to try to get it right the first time and avoid a mistake. Everyone has their own requirements, and personal taste. All things considered, I think I will end up pulling the trigger on a Dart Marlin.
tommymck_imp said:
Interesting front turn signals in the 2017 pics of the windscreen. Wonder where those come from?
The pictures of the 2017 with Dart screens mounted, are on the RS model, which so far is not being imported into the U.S. So in answer to your question, the turn signal you are seeing in the pictures are stock on the RS model.
 
jdinaz_imp said:
Thanks Doc, that's the kind of info I was hoping to hear. LOL You guys are costing me more money.
It is a major improvement over a naked bike.
However, do not expect to be "comfortable" cruising 80 MPH against a 30 MPH headwind.
The forecast today is 20 MPH, gusting to 40 MPH, from SW.
Not uncommon around here.
Under these circumstances, I generally limit speed to ~65 MPH, against the wind. Cross wind determines in which side of the lane I ride.
 
I installed the 2017 version of the Marlin on a 2017 EX a few weeks ago. Install was straigtforward, it works well for me to reduce fatigue. The only thing that I don't like is that the brackets are a little too flexible and they allow the entire assembly including the headlight to shake and shimmy. Not severely, but I feel like this could have been avoided with a little more metal in the brackets.
 
Thread starter
Man, that is discouraging, but glad you posted before I bought one. I still like the design better than anything else I have seen, so I emailed Dart to see if they might have any plans to make a more rigid bracket to fix that problem. I will post what they reply...if they reply. I had not heard anything about the brackets for up to 2016 models having that problem, and the brackets for pre 2017 models are an entirely different design, soooo all the pre 2017 guys should probably not have that problem.
 
I think you will find that the rigidity of the Dart bracket is not the issue, as it is 5 mm thick on the 2014 model and probably the same for 2017.

The two Dart brackets are longer than the stock Honda bucket brackets to extend the headlight farther out, to allow best angle angle for the screen.

I have seen some movement on my 2014, but it is not the Dart brackets. On the 2014, Honda uses two vertical rods (~5mm OD) to support the bucket and they are set into rubber cushions to reduce shock to the H4. The movement is within the rubber cushions. I have not noticed it affecting the headlight, but I rarely ride at night.

guitar gord, I cannot see from your photo the rigidity of what the Dart brackets mount to, but push side to side and see what actually moves. This may not change the concern by 2017EX, but it is not likely something within Dart's control.
 
[/QUOTE]
It is a major improvement over a naked bike.
However, do not expect to be "comfortable" cruising 80 MPH against a 30 MPH headwind.
The forecast today is 20 MPH, gusting to 40 MPH, from SW.
Not uncommon around here.
Under these circumstances, I generally limit speed to ~65 MPH, against the wind. Cross wind determines in which side of the lane I ride.
[/QUOTE]

No worries there, I don't enjoy riding 80 MPH with no wind ! I was riding at 55mph yesterday with a 25mph head wind, it felt like I would be blown off the bike if my grip weakened. LOL Thanks for the info.
 
It is a major improvement over a naked bike.
However, do not expect to be "comfortable" cruising 80 MPH against a 30 MPH headwind.
The forecast today is 20 MPH, gusting to 40 MPH, from SW.
Not uncommon around here.
Under these circumstances, I generally limit speed to ~65 MPH, against the wind. Cross wind determines in which side of the lane I ride.
[/QUOTE]

No worries there, I don't enjoy riding 80 MPH with no wind ! I was riding at 55mph yesterday with a 25mph head wind, it felt like I would be blown off the bike if my grip weakened. LOL Thanks for the info.
[/QUOTE]
Interstate 15 in Utah, from St George to Cedar City is an 80 MPH speed limit and prevailing wind is from southwest = usually a headwind heading home.
 
I understand that what I'm saying is not the prevailing experience of others, and I appreciate that it is a potentially serious knock against a product from a great company, one of very few who go out of their way to make products for CB1100s. So I will go back to the bike and do more examination of the wiggle to be sure of the cause, tomorrow in the daylight when the mosquitos are sleeping.
 
My apologies to DART, SportsterDoc is correct and the brackets are sufficiently rigid and not at fault for causing the headlight shimmy. That said, the headlight does shimmy more with use of the Marllin then without. I believe this is happening because the Marlin is attached to the headlight bracket assembly, which as SportsterDoc notes, is rubber mounted to reduce shock, and the Marlin catching wind is inducing the vibration.

What I can say is this -- before the Marlin I observed very little movement in the headlight when at speed, with the Marlin I observe a fair bit of headlight shimmy at speed. This is only noticeable when riding in the dark so it may not matter to you. For me, I find it distracting, but not enough to remove the Marlin.
 
Thread starter
guitar gord_imp said:
My apologies to DART, SportsterDoc is correct and the brackets are sufficiently rigid and not at fault for causing the headlight shimmy. That said, the headlight does shimmy more with use of the Marllin then without. I believe this is happening because the Marlin is attached to the headlight bracket assembly, which as SportsterDoc notes, is rubber mounted to reduce shock, and the Marlin catching wind is inducing the vibration.

What I can say is this -- before the Marlin I observed very little movement in the headlight when at speed, with the Marlin I observe a fair bit of headlight shimmy at speed. This is only noticeable when riding in the dark so it may not matter to you. For me, I find it distracting, but not enough to remove the Marlin.
Do the 2017 Dart brackets move the headlight bucket further forward than stock, as SportsterDoc mentioned about his 2014 Dart brackets, and if so by approximately how much? I went out in the garage last night after reading SportsterDocs post and did a light push on brackets of my stock 2017 set up. I saw the slight flex caused by the rubber mounts, just as SportsterDoc said. Reminds me of the rubber headlight mounting on my previous bike, a Harley CVO with Springer front forks. My riding buddies said they knew it was me coming toward them from a distance, because they could see my headlight ( in daylight ) bouncing around LOL. With that in mind, the headlight shimmy is not necessarily concerning to me, as I rarely ride at night. What would be of concern is what I can see in the daytime that might be distracting. So, my question is whether or not enough shimmy is transferred to the screen to make it distracting, or not.
 
Back
Top