Dart Marlin Flyscreen - A Quick Review

a740ba1fbc124994c09d2e55dce23589.jpg
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
I installed the Marlin on a 2014 CB1100A. Packaging, fit and finish were top-notch. Delivery was 5 to 6 calendar days to Canada. Installation was very easy and fast. Hardware mounting was firm and confident. Communication with Dart was very pleasant.

Qualitatively speaking, I feel the Marlin provides maybe around a 50% pressure reduction on the upper body at 120 km/h. I actually found myself drifting into the 140 km/h cruising range somewhat, um, unexpectedly ;D with the Marlin. I have done mostly freeway riding and I am still assessing helmet buffeting behaviour. I think it is okay and better than other windshields on my past rides. I am also taking into consideration my helmet model. So far so good, but I will learn more throughout the riding season.

In short: I like the lines and style. Value is good. The flyscreen does not vibrate like others tend to do, however, it is smaller too.

Minor notes: Do expect the headlight to be offset forward by about two inches or so. This will expose headlight harness wiring more than the original bike bracket design.
Update:

The autumn riding season is well upon us and I put about 4000 kms on the Marlin screen since I first reported. I believe it basically feels the same now as when I first wrote about it. On long freeway stints or very windy days at highway speeds, the Marlin won't be enough and you should consider a fuller screen. Otherwise, it smooths out all other runs without getting in your face (literally) and maintaining the lines of your ride.
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
I installed the Marlin on a 2014 CB1100A. Packaging, fit and finish were top-notch. Delivery was 5 to 6 calendar days to Canada. Installation was very easy and fast. Hardware mounting was firm and confident. Communication with Dart was very pleasant.

Qualitatively speaking, I feel the Marlin provides maybe around a 50% pressure reduction on the upper body at 120 km/h. I actually found myself drifting into the 140 km/h cruising range somewhat, um, unexpectedly ;D with the Marlin. I have done mostly freeway riding and I am still assessing helmet buffeting behaviour. I think it is okay and better than other windshields on my past rides. I am also taking into consideration my helmet model. So far so good, but I will learn more throughout the riding season.

In short: I like the lines and style. Value is good. The flyscreen does not vibrate like others tend to do, however, it is smaller too.

Minor notes: Do expect the headlight to be offset forward by about two inches or so. This will expose headlight harness wiring more than the original bike bracket design.
Update:

The autumn riding season is well upon us and I put about 4000 kms on the Marlin screen since I first reported. I believe it basically feels the same now as when I first wrote about it. On long freeway stints or very windy days at highway speeds, the Marlin won't be enough and you should consider a fuller screen. Otherwise, it smooths out all other runs without getting in your face (literally) and maintaining the lines of your ride.
Update:

The autumn riding season is well upon us and I put about 4000 kms on the Marlin screen since I first reported. I believe it basically feels the same now as when I first wrote about it. On long freeway stints or very windy days at highway speeds, the Marlin won't be enough and you should consider a fuller screen. Otherwise, it smooths out all other runs without getting in your face (literally) and maintaining the lines of your ride.
I would agree. I installed my Marlin in May and have ridden all summer and early fall with it. I would agree that other than long highway stints it certainly makes for a much calmer ride at sub 65 mph pretty nice. I don't get much buffeting with it but I do certainly get more wind noise in the helmet. I think with cold temps it my be nice to have something with more width but overall I love the looks and the quality is top notch. Have a good weekend.
 
the_undecider_imp said:
I received the new Marlin Flyscreen today and quickly went to work installing it. It uses all new brackets, so nothing interchanges with the Original Flyscreen. One minor issue, and I spaced on taking a picture, is that the upright bracket pretty much fits against the back of the instruments cups. I'll take the screen back off and send Steve a picture. I just cut some small strips of rubber with adhesive backing and stuck in between.

Here, you can see the Original over top of the Marlin. Where the Original is very low profile, the Marlin is similarly svelte thanks to it's more swept profile.


[url=http://s960.photobucket.com/user/Pflugerville_Bike_Guy/media/20150404_142618_zpsbrbucrmm.jpg.html]

That swept profile is what I think makes my helmet wind noise greatly reduced. I feel the wind hitting my shoulder with everything above in clean, turbulent free air. The Original had air hitting most of my chest, but the blockage it did provide reduced the pressure on my abdomen. The Marlin goes a step better with much less wind pressure. Before 70 mph was the fastest comfy speed. Now, around 80.

Vertical distance from the ignition switch to the top of the screen is 9 inches. The screen measures 14-3/4" wide when measured around the curve. Height is 12-3/8" from the center of the headlight cutout to the top, measured along the curve.

I love the curved profile, reminds me of a small fairing. Looks like a keeper.

[url=http://s960.photobucket.com/user/Pflugerville_Bike_Guy/media/20150404_142528_zpsfolg8cuz.jpg.html]

[url=http://s960.photobucket.com/user/Pflugerville_Bike_Guy/media/20150404_174157_zpsk85ypdrv.jpg.html]

Is this the dark or the midnight style?
 
I've had a Marlin on my CB for 2-3 years now and like it very much. Very sturdy and well made.
I like the curved shape and how it gives the illusion of speed :D :D
For its size it does a pretty good job of deflecting the air.
Oddly enough, the headlight brackets that came with it were both for one side.
I sent Marlin a picture and they had a correct one in the mail right away - in fact, they simply sent me a new pair.
Great customer service.
 
I just attempted to install my dart marlin on my 2017 cb1100ex and I am about to throw it in the trash can.....the worse instructions ever. The instructions said to atttach black brackets to stainless steel brackets...but give zero direction as to which holes to use on stainless brackets....I figured it out after watching YouTube videos for earlier cb1100. I gave up when directions said to take headlight off and disconnect turn indicator wires. All of these wires are stuffed in back of headlight. After I started yanking all of these wires which are carefully wound and placed in housing , I said the heck with this! and will let dealer install screen tomorrow when I receive my 600 mile service. I’ll just screw headlight back on , but oops , the bolts inside the headlight housing fell inside somewhere and so now I cannot reattach headlight screws!! Wtf! I have headlight duct taped on now. At this point I want to just send screen back to Dart , but do not get to ride my bike tonight
 
Cqrlm911_imp said:
I just attempted to install my dart marlin on my 2017 cb1100ex and I am about to throw it in the trash can.....the worse instructions ever. The instructions said to atttach black brackets to stainless steel brackets...but give zero direction as to which holes to use on stainless brackets....I figured it out after watching YouTube videos for earlier cb1100. I gave up when directions said to take headlight off and disconnect turn indicator wires. All of these wires are stuffed in back of headlight. After I started yanking all of these wires which are carefully wound and placed in housing , I said the heck with this! and will let dealer install screen tomorrow when I receive my 600 mile service. I’ll just screw headlight back on , but oops , the bolts inside the headlight housing fell inside somewhere and so now I cannot reattach headlight screws!! Wtf! I have headlight duct taped on now. At this point I want to just send screen back to Dart , but do not get to ride my bike tonight

If you take the headlight bulb out from the bucket you can find the bolts to mount headlight properly. I put hot glue on the bolts inside to keep them in place.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Good advice - thanks ......sorry to forum for my rant last evening on dart. I’m sure it is a fine company and I am a mechanical embecile. I will attempt install again this evening when I have more time....and hopefully more patience and tolerance
 
Cqrlm911_imp said:
Good advice - thanks ......sorry to forum for my rant last evening on dart. I’m sure it is a fine company and I am a mechanical embecile. I will attempt install again this evening when I have more time....and hopefully more patience and tolerance
Frustration understood, but it's always good to step back and take a deep breath.
More than once I've walked away from a project and came back later or the next day.
I'm no mechanical genius either, but it's really not that hard. Take your time, think about it, and it will fall into place.
 
Rocky_imp said:
Cqrlm911_imp said:
Good advice - thanks ......sorry to forum for my rant last evening on dart. I’m sure it is a fine company and I am a mechanical embecile. I will attempt install again this evening when I have more time....and hopefully more patience and tolerance
Frustration understood, but it's always good to step back and take a deep breath.
More than once I've walked away from a project and came back later or the next day.
I'm no mechanical genius either, but it's really not that hard. Take your time, think about it, and it will fall into place.
You are too modest. Anyone that can keep a 1967 BSA Victor running for more than half a century has to have mechanical smarts. :thumbsup:
 
Nortoon_imp said:
Rocky_imp said:
Cqrlm911_imp said:
Good advice - thanks ......sorry to forum for my rant last evening on dart. I’m sure it is a fine company and I am a mechanical embecile. I will attempt install again this evening when I have more time....and hopefully more patience and tolerance
Frustration understood, but it's always good to step back and take a deep breath.
More than once I've walked away from a project and came back later or the next day.
I'm no mechanical genius either, but it's really not that hard. Take your time, think about it, and it will fall into place.
You are too modest. Anyone that can keep a 1967 BSA Victor running for more than half a century has to have mechanical smarts. :thumbsup:
You are too modest. Anyone that can keep a 1967 BSA Victor running for more than half a century has to have mechanical smarts. :thumbsup:
OK, you caught me and I can't weasel out of it :angel:
I do have a few mechanical smarts, but don't let it get around :D :D :D
 
I've actually removed my Dart after trying the with/without tests. I've found that with the Marlin I get a lot of buffeting especially when following/passing vans/semis whereas without it the buffeting is much less and the ride generally more comfortable.

Now I am built like a brick outhouse which might have an effect.

YMMV
 
Haggard Rider_imp said:
I've actually removed my Dart after trying the with/without tests. I've found that with the Marlin I get a lot of buffeting especially when following/passing vans/semis whereas without it the buffeting is much less and the ride generally more comfortable.

Now I am built like a brick outhouse which might have an effect.

YMMV
Quite true, not every screen/body combo is going to work. So much depends on body size, leg, arm, and torso length, how you sit on the bike, etc.
Finding that perfect screen can be a chore and $$$.
 
Rocky_imp said:
Cqrlm911_imp said:
Good advice - thanks ......sorry to forum for my rant last evening on dart. I’m sure it is a fine company and I am a mechanical embecile. I will attempt install again this evening when I have more time....and hopefully more patience and tolerance
Frustration understood, but it's always good to step back and take a deep breath.
More than once I've walked away from a project and came back later or the next day.
I'm no mechanical genius either, but it's really not that hard. Take your time, think about it, and it will fall into place.
Frustration understood, but it's always good to step back and take a deep breath.
More than once I've walked away from a project and came back later or the next day.
I'm no mechanical genius either, but it's really not that hard. Take your time, think about it, and it will fall into place. After last week’s frustration I was going to take bike to dealer to install marlin screen. I decided to wait and try again this afternoon- took my time I and did it myself.....not nearly as difficult as I thought and I learned about the bike in process. I love the looks on the cb. There are a few extra screws with kit ,but overall high quality. I took bike up to 80 mph and it helps a good bit. I am 5’9”
 
the_undecider_imp said:
I received the new Marlin Flyscreen today and quickly went to work installing it. It uses all new brackets, so nothing interchanges with the Original Flyscreen. One minor issue, and I spaced on taking a picture, is that the upright bracket pretty much fits against the back of the instruments cups. I'll take the screen back off and send Steve a picture. I just cut some small strips of rubber with adhesive backing and stuck in between.

Here, you can see the Original over top of the Marlin. Where the Original is very low profile, the Marlin is similarly svelte thanks to it's more swept profile.


[url=http://s960.photobucket.com/user/Pflugerville_Bike_Guy/media/20150404_142618_zpsbrbucrmm.jpg.html]

That swept profile is what I think makes my helmet wind noise greatly reduced. I feel the wind hitting my shoulder with everything above in clean, turbulent free air. The Original had air hitting most of my chest, but the blockage it did provide reduced the pressure on my abdomen. The Marlin goes a step better with much less wind pressure. Before 70 mph was the fastest comfy speed. Now, around 80.

Vertical distance from the ignition switch to the top of the screen is 9 inches. The screen measures 14-3/4" wide when measured around the curve. Height is 12-3/8" from the center of the headlight cutout to the top, measured along the curve.

I love the curved profile, reminds me of a small fairing. Looks like a keeper.

[url=http://s960.photobucket.com/user/Pflugerville_Bike_Guy/media/20150404_142528_zpsfolg8cuz.jpg.html]

[url=http://s960.photobucket.com/user/Pflugerville_Bike_Guy/media/20150404_174157_zpsk85ypdrv.jpg.html]

Why are these pics so blurry, I can't open them, and with a logo that won't go away?
 
Charlie Bravo, the short answer to your question is "Photobucket". As that doesn't make any sense, I'll give you the long answer as well.

Once upon a time almost everyone used Photobucket as the free site to host photos they displayed on this and many other forums. We—oh, yes, I was one of them—had lots and lots of photos stored on Photobucket and happily displayed on other places on the Internet. One day, some genius at Photobucket had a bright idea. "We've got all these punters aboard, let's charge them US$400 a year for the pleasure of hosting their photos." Clearly this was a ridiculous amount and we all voted with our feet. Some deleted their Photobucket accounts; others (like me) simply declined to pay and left our photos there.

This brilliant pricing strategy nearly killed Photobucket and so it came to pass that it was modified to be more reasonable, but by then many of us had moved on to Imgur or other free hosting services. Those of us who have left photos stored on Photobucket but who aren't paying the ransom are now rewarded by having those photos displayed blurred and with the Photobucket logo.

If you're looking on an iMobile device, I don't think there's anything you can do about it. Likewise if you use Safari on a Mac, you're probably stuck with it. However, if you really want to to see the photos, get on a PC or Mac running either Firefox or Chrome, go to the app store and get an add on that thwarts Photobucket's blurring and logo. The one I have for Chrome is called Photobucket Hotlink Fix. Hey presto, no blurring or logo.
 
Back
Top