Dart Marlin Flyscreen - A Quick Review

the_undecider_imp

Been there
Thread starter
I received the new Marlin Flyscreen today and quickly went to work installing it. It uses all new brackets, so nothing interchanges with the Original Flyscreen. One minor issue, and I spaced on taking a picture, is that the upright bracket pretty much fits against the back of the instruments cups. I'll take the screen back off and send Steve a picture. I just cut some small strips of rubber with adhesive backing and stuck in between.

Here, you can see the Original over top of the Marlin. Where the Original is very low profile, the Marlin is similarly svelte thanks to it's more swept profile.


[url=http://s960.photobucket.com/user/Pflugerville_Bike_Guy/media/20150404_142618_zpsbrbucrmm.jpg.html]

That swept profile is what I think makes my helmet wind noise greatly reduced. I feel the wind hitting my shoulder with everything above in clean, turbulent free air. The Original had air hitting most of my chest, but the blockage it did provide reduced the pressure on my abdomen. The Marlin goes a step better with much less wind pressure. Before 70 mph was the fastest comfy speed. Now, around 80.

Vertical distance from the ignition switch to the top of the screen is 9 inches. The screen measures 14-3/4" wide when measured around the curve. Height is 12-3/8" from the center of the headlight cutout to the top, measured along the curve.

I love the curved profile, reminds me of a small fairing. Looks like a keeper.

[url=http://s960.photobucket.com/user/Pflugerville_Bike_Guy/media/20150404_142528_zpsfolg8cuz.jpg.html]

[url=http://s960.photobucket.com/user/Pflugerville_Bike_Guy/media/20150404_174157_zpsk85ypdrv.jpg.html]
 
Good review. I think I will stick with the original Dart for the moment. If I am lucky enough to see a Marlin at the NC rally I'll have a rethink then. In a reply to your original post I said that the Marlin, plus the solo seat, make for a nice line.

Cheers
 
I agree with Ptero that the shield and solo seat make a great looking combo.

The 9" height from the ignition and your report would coincide with what has been reported before about the best height for a small shield being 8 1/2 to 10" above the ignition.

Great report, thanks.
 
Having to use rubber pieces would not make me happy. Hopefully some re-engineering will be done to eliminate this issue. Is the bracket adjustable?
 
Thread starter
aschem_imp said:
Having to use rubber pieces would not make me happy. Hopefully some re-engineering will be done to eliminate this issue. Is the bracket adjustable?
No adjustment. I'm not thrilled about using the rubber strips. There is a small bit of space between the bracket and instrument cups, but I figured it would likely make contact under the vibration and wind hitting it. I'm sure Steve will address the issue. A minor tweak of the upright brackets should be all it needs.
 
Nice work Undecider. It looks good to me.
 
the_undecider_imp said:
aschem_imp said:
Having to use rubber pieces would not make me happy. Hopefully some re-engineering will be done to eliminate this issue. Is the bracket adjustable?
No adjustment. I'm not thrilled about using the rubber strips. There is a small bit of space between the bracket and instrument cups, but I figured it would likely make contact under the vibration and wind hitting it. I'm sure Steve will address the issue. A minor tweak of the upright brackets should be all it needs.
No adjustment. I'm not thrilled about using the rubber strips. There is a small bit of space between the bracket and instrument cups, but I figured it would likely make contact under the vibration and wind hitting it. I'm sure Steve will address the issue. A minor tweak of the upright brackets should be all it needs.
Hmm... the fitting is pretty close, but there should be a quarter inch or so between the bracket and the instruments. There is a small amount of tolerance in the screen brackets - try loosening all four screws that hold the brackets to the bike, and see if that improves the clearance.
 
Thread starter
sleddy_imp said:
the_undecider_imp said:
aschem_imp said:
Having to use rubber pieces would not make me happy. Hopefully some re-engineering will be done to eliminate this issue. Is the bracket adjustable?
No adjustment. I'm not thrilled about using the rubber strips. There is a small bit of space between the bracket and instrument cups, but I figured it would likely make contact under the vibration and wind hitting it. I'm sure Steve will address the issue. A minor tweak of the upright brackets should be all it needs.
No adjustment. I'm not thrilled about using the rubber strips. There is a small bit of space between the bracket and instrument cups, but I figured it would likely make contact under the vibration and wind hitting it. I'm sure Steve will address the issue. A minor tweak of the upright brackets should be all it needs.
Hmm... the fitting is pretty close, but there should be a quarter inch or so between the bracket and the instruments. There is a small amount of tolerance in the screen brackets - try loosening all four screws that hold the brackets to the bike, and see if that improves the clearance.
No adjustment. I'm not thrilled about using the rubber strips. There is a small bit of space between the bracket and instrument cups, but I figured it would likely make contact under the vibration and wind hitting it. I'm sure Steve will address the issue. A minor tweak of the upright brackets should be all it needs.
Hmm... the fitting is pretty close, but there should be a quarter inch or so between the bracket and the instruments. There is a small amount of tolerance in the screen brackets - try loosening all four screws that hold the brackets to the bike, and see if that improves the clearance.
That was the first thing I did and it didn't do anything appreciable.
 
aschem_imp said:
Having to use rubber pieces would not make me happy. Hopefully some re-engineering will be done to eliminate this issue. Is the bracket adjustable?
To follow on from the posts above. Bracket proximity to the instrument panel was an issue with my original screen. No contact on fitting but on the road an occasional vibration as contact was made passing over bumps. Why? I doubt if it was poor design and take the view that the panel may sag with time or that movement of the panel is more than anticipated. In any case my solution was to elongate the rear bracket positioning holes and change the screen angle slightly, thus giving the required clearance. It would have been just as easy to reshape the brackets, smoothly, to alter their shape to achieve clearance, but I chose the former. The slight and imperceptible change to the screen angle made no difference to the screen performance.

In any case all the above became irrelevant as I Emailed Steve with details of the problem and a couple of photos to illustrate. I did this as information to him and I did stress that I had solved my issue and required no further action from him. Despite this Steve responded promptly, saying a set of redesigned brackets would be sent to me as soon as they became available, at no charge. Within a couple of weeks the new brackets arrived. In short, problem solved promptly, efficiently and in good spirit.

Cheers
 
Pterodactyl_imp said:
aschem_imp said:
Having to use rubber pieces would not make me happy. Hopefully some re-engineering will be done to eliminate this issue. Is the bracket adjustable?
To follow on from the posts above. Bracket proximity to the instrument panel was an issue with my original screen. No contact on fitting but on the road an occasional vibration as contact was made passing over bumps. Why? I doubt if it was poor design and take the view that the panel may sag with time or that movement of the panel is more than anticipated. In any case my solution was to elongate the rear bracket positioning holes and change the screen angle slightly, thus giving the required clearance. It would have been just as easy to reshape the brackets, smoothly, to alter their shape to achieve clearance, but I chose the former. The slight and imperceptible change to the screen angle made no difference to the screen performance.

In any case all the above became irrelevant as I Emailed Steve with details of the problem and a couple of photos to illustrate. I did this as information to him and I did stress that I had solved my issue and required no further action from him. Despite this Steve responded promptly, saying a set of redesigned brackets would be sent to me as soon as they became available, at no charge. Within a couple of weeks the new brackets arrived. In short, problem solved promptly, efficiently and in good spirit.

Cheers
To follow on from the posts above. Bracket proximity to the instrument panel was an issue with my original screen. No contact on fitting but on the road an occasional vibration as contact was made passing over bumps. Why? I doubt if it was poor design and take the view that the panel may sag with time or that movement of the panel is more than anticipated. In any case my solution was to elongate the rear bracket positioning holes and change the screen angle slightly, thus giving the required clearance. It would have been just as easy to reshape the brackets, smoothly, to alter their shape to achieve clearance, but I chose the former. The slight and imperceptible change to the screen angle made no difference to the screen performance.

In any case all the above became irrelevant as I Emailed Steve with details of the problem and a couple of photos to illustrate. I did this as information to him and I did stress that I had solved my issue and required no further action from him. Despite this Steve responded promptly, saying a set of redesigned brackets would be sent to me as soon as they became available, at no charge. Within a couple of weeks the new brackets arrived. In short, problem solved promptly, efficiently and in good spirit.

Cheers
Would you be so kind as to take a couple of pics to show us how it looks? Also, can you show us a pic of the "new" bracket as it's installed on your CB? I'm interested in this one since the feedback from others is the Street Shield is too high.

Pterodactyl, thanks for the info on this new product sir.
 
Dart Marlin arrived and installed. Thanks to Steve for the great service. I love the look and the function. Recommended!
b711326c85488ecb48a9b62e494f923c.jpg
1cfbd3acb1c73ada5512113d5e1762cf.jpg
22ff19f41600674cb99c71879a6d44b6.jpg
 
Mmmm. That looks good. Be interested to hear how you find it when you're riding Buttaknife.
 
I emailed Steve and it does sound like he will have the Marlin available for the 14 Deluxe at some point in May. It really looks good.
 
Back
Top