Dart Flyscreen highly recommended

ScottSny_imp said:
Got mine today and installed it. Super easy and looks great!
Looks great! Looks like we ordered the same day, but I'm still waiting. ..not fair! I should have mine any day. Looks like you got the lighter tint which looks great with the Chrome gauge covers. I am anxious to see how my dark tint looks.
 
I'm a little worried about the clearance of those chrome covers and the screen brackets...it's close. Anyone else have an issue with this?
 
If you have a CB 2014 model: new designed brackets will be available soon - see above.
For the 2013 there have been redesigned brackets released in June, i believe. You can send Steve a mail to verify this.

Regards
Gustav

Edit: sorry, now I saw the picture: your model is a 2013. Maybe you can get a benefit from the newest 2014 brackets for lot of more space to the instrument cases.
 
I filed the brackets on mine and told Steve back in Jan or Feb as I recall. Also told him about missing index mark for headlight. He said he would improve the bracket.
 
Updating my Flyscreen install
New brackets were received quickly and installed. This allowed for better gap with the gauge, but it separated the screen from the headlight more than the original brackets. Due to weather/work last night was the first chance I really had to go for a good ride and see what the results would be. I am now going to file down the original brackets and paint them because that gap between the headlight and the screen creates a nice high pitched whistle @ any speed over 40mph. Drove me absolutely crazy!! I will post more pics to illustrate as I change it out
 
Interesting. Keep us updated please.
 
ScottSny_imp said:
Updating my Flyscreen install
New brackets were received quickly and installed. This allowed for better gap with the gauge, but it separated the screen from the headlight more than the original brackets. Due to weather/work last night was the first chance I really had to go for a good ride and see what the results would be. I am now going to file down the original brackets and paint them because that gap between the headlight and the screen creates a nice high pitched whistle @ any speed over 40mph. Drove me absolutely crazy!! I will post more pics to illustrate as I change it out
Well, if that is the case, I definitely won't be the first to order the 2014 version (once it is released) until someone verifies that it doesn't double as a "Deer Whistle".

A former motorcycle driving instructor of mine could have used a "Moose Whistle" on his Harley, but that is another unfortunate story :-/
 
I installed mine yesterday and got no whistle, but maybe that is due to the Staintune exhaust note covering some of that sound.

I also did not find that it offered much different feel in the wind than without it. Having said that, I did not get over 50 mph (so maybe not fast enough to feel the difference), and also, even if it provided zero wind protection, I would still buy it again because it looks so cool! I love the look and it frankly looks like it belongs there unlike many windshields/screens I have seen on other bikes.

Not to mention I loved getting a package marked "Royal Mail".
 
Here are some pictures with the new brackets
After bolting the screen up with both sets of brackets and comparing them there is a gap present around the headlight with both but the original brackets produce and overhang above the headlight while the replacement brackets are more flush with the front of the light as these pics illustrate.
Upper pic = replacement.
Lower pic = original.
I am going to paint the original ones that were ground down and filed and then install and road test for noise tomorrow.
 
After about 120 miles of observations here's my update...
I could not reproduce the wind noise that I encountered the other day. Maybe my headlight angle was allowing the wind to produce the whistle...I also had the my wife with me that day so the angles could have been altered by that extra weight.
I can also say that the screen is a definite difference maker up to about 65mph. The wind doesn't pound me in the chest and make me feel like I am pulling away from the handlebars. If you don't wear a helmet you will still get a lot of wind in the face, but with a helmet the ride was much better. In my opinion the screen throws the wind up at an angle that your helmet will then deflect. Overall I am happy with the mod. For the money spent I like the look and the ride improvement enough to say it's a win!
 
Thread starter
Update to riding impressions after some more miles with the Dart. I have put approx another 400 miles on the bike since installing the flyscreen.
I'm still very satisfied with the wind protection it provides.

In clean air with no vehicles in front of me, 70 mph with the screen is very smooth. My commute is approx 86 miles round trip. I find that like many others the only problem I have is my bum getting sore after approx. an hour of riding. Besides that I'd have no problem with the screen and much longer trips.

:beerchug:
 
Back
Top