Dart Flyscreen highly recommended

Calamari_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
I'll try to get to the point as quick as possible. I purchased my 2013 CB1100 approximately 2 weeks ago. Like many of you I ride it as often as I can. Also, it didn't take very long at all before I figured out that I wanted some kind of protection against the wind pressure on my chest. So I started looking around this forum and found info on many different screens, windshields, etc. I found many options but I really love the look of this bike and didn't want to take away from the natural beauty of it by pasting a great big ugly windshield on it.

After a bit of searching, I decided to try the Dart flyscreen. I found some good write ups and info so I took the plunge. I ordered it from their website even though I was a bit skeptical about ordering outside the States. It arrived in 5 days, I was very impressed by that. Not that the company had anything to do after it left their hands as far as shipping but it just gave me a positive feeling. I also got an email from the company thanking me for my order. It arrived and was very well packaged. The fit and finish was absolutely flawless on the screen as well as the other parts and mounting hardware that were included. Using the provided instructions, I was able to mount it in approx. 20 minutes. It was so simple I thought I'd messed something up or missed a step. It looks very well installed on the bike and in my opinion doesn't detract from the overall look of the bike.

Now for the ride test. I wasn't able to ride right away because it rained for the next 2 days. For some stats, I am 5' 9" and weigh a muscular 200 lbs. My inseam is 30 inches. I used a full face helmet. I rode approx. 10 miles at 60 - 75 mph. I was thoroughly impressed. The Dart completely took the pressure of the wind off my chest. I no longer had to wrestle with pulling with my arms and pushing my torso against the wind. My arms could hang on lightly on the bars. It really felt as if I had a much bigger screen. For those that have owned a sportbike with a normal height windscreen, it feels exacly the same. The wind is off the chest and only partially on the helmet. This of course will vary depending on your height. Personally, unless I have a fairly sizeable windscreen, I usually go with a full face helmet because of the aero design and the noise reduction. I have found that wind flows much better around a full face than a half lid and goggles. Plus being a long time sportbike rider, I'm just used to the full face helmet.

I do most of my riding on country roads, some in town and minimal highway. My average speed is 60-65 mph. I can tell you that with this screen and my style of riding, I can ride all day long because of the wind protection it provides. I didn't post pics but the website has pics of the CB with the exact same type screen I installed. go to: http://www.dartflyscreens.com then click on CB1100A. I paid $159 and free shipping. After trying it out, I would easily pay double. I of course have not tried any other screens on my CB but highly recommend adding this one to your list of potentials if you're looking for one. I don't know if it fits the 2014, DLX or whatever other models or mods may be out there. I do know it fit my stock from the factory 2013 CB1100.

Ride On :thumbsup:
 
It looks good! And I like those headlight brackets.

Good write-up too. Thanks for the info.
 
Excellent report Calamari. :thumbsup:
 
Calamari_imp said:
I'll try to get to the point as quick as possible. I purchased my 2013 CB1100 approximately 2 weeks ago. Like many of you I ride it as often as I can. Also, it didn't take very long at all before I figured out that I wanted some kind of protection against the wind pressure on my chest. So I started looking around this forum and found info on many different screens, windshields, etc. I found many options but I really love the look of this bike and didn't want to take away from the natural beauty of it by pasting a great big ugly windshield on it.

After a bit of searching, I decided to try the Dart flyscreen. I found some good write ups and info so I took the plunge. I ordered it from their website even though I was a bit skeptical about ordering outside the States. It arrived in 5 days, I was very impressed by that. Not that the company had anything to do after it left their hands as far as shipping but it just gave me a positive feeling. I also got an email from the company thanking me for my order. It arrived and was very well packaged. The fit and finish was absolutely flawless on the screen as well as the other parts and mounting hardware that were included. Using the provided instructions, I was able to mount it in approx. 20 minutes. It was so simple I thought I'd messed something up or missed a step. It looks very well installed on the bike and in my opinion doesn't detract from the overall look of the bike.

Now for the ride test. I wasn't able to ride right away because it rained for the next 2 days. For some stats, I am 5' 9" and weigh a muscular 200 lbs. My inseam is 30 inches. I used a full face helmet. I rode approx. 10 miles at 60 - 75 mph. I was thoroughly impressed. The Dart completely took the pressure of the wind off my chest. I no longer had to wrestle with pulling with my arms and pushing my torso against the wind. My arms could hang on lightly on the bars. It really felt as if I had a much bigger screen. For those that have owned a sportbike with a normal height windscreen, it feels exacly the same. The wind is off the chest and only partially on the helmet. This of course will vary depending on your height. Personally, unless I have a fairly sizeable windscreen, I usually go with a full face helmet because of the aero design and the noise reduction. I have found that wind flows much better around a full face than a half lid and goggles. Plus being a long time sportbike rider, I'm just used to the full face helmet.

I do most of my riding on country roads, some in town and minimal highway. My average speed is 60-65 mph. I can tell you that with this screen and my style of riding, I can ride all day long because of the wind protection it provides. I didn't post pics but the website has pics of the CB with the exact same type screen I installed. go to: http://www.dartflyscreens.com then click on CB1100A. I paid $159 and free shipping. After trying it out, I would easily pay double. I of course have not tried any other screens on my CB but highly recommend adding this one to your list of potentials if you're looking for one. I don't know if it fits the 2014, DLX or whatever other models or mods may be out there. I do know it fit my stock from the factory 2013 CB1100.

Ride On :thumbsup:
well you've convinced me
 
Great report, thanks for sharing your experience.
I've been considering one of those for a while now, so input like this is always appreciated.
 
I bought mine (it might have been the very first one) as soon as they were available. Re the OP comments:

I no longer had to wrestle with pulling with my arms and pushing my torso against the wind. My arms could hang on lightly on the bars. It really felt as if I had a much bigger screen. For those that have owned a sportbike with a normal height windscreen, it feels exacly the same. The wind is off the chest and only partially on the helmet.

I have the same results at 5' 11" height. Calm air right up to the bottom of my helmet, then a nice smooth airflow over and around. Unless I rode in extremely cold weather I wouldn't consider anything larger.
 
Calamari_imp said:
I'll try to get to the point as quick as possible. I purchased my 2013 CB1100 approximately 2 weeks ago. Like many of you I ride it as often as I can. Also, it didn't take very long at all before I figured out that I wanted some kind of protection against the wind pressure on my chest. So I started looking around this forum and found info on many different screens, windshields, etc. I found many options but I really love the look of this bike and didn't want to take away from the natural beauty of it by pasting a great big ugly windshield on it.

After a bit of searching, I decided to try the Dart flyscreen. I found some good write ups and info so I took the plunge. I ordered it from their website even though I was a bit skeptical about ordering outside the States. It arrived in 5 days, I was very impressed by that. Not that the company had anything to do after it left their hands as far as shipping but it just gave me a positive feeling. I also got an email from the company thanking me for my order. It arrived and was very well packaged. The fit and finish was absolutely flawless on the screen as well as the other parts and mounting hardware that were included. Using the provided instructions, I was able to mount it in approx. 20 minutes. It was so simple I thought I'd messed something up or missed a step. It looks very well installed on the bike and in my opinion doesn't detract from the overall look of the bike.

Now for the ride test. I wasn't able to ride right away because it rained for the next 2 days. For some stats, I am 5' 9" and weigh a muscular 200 lbs. My inseam is 30 inches. I used a full face helmet. I rode approx. 10 miles at 60 - 75 mph. I was thoroughly impressed. The Dart completely took the pressure of the wind off my chest. I no longer had to wrestle with pulling with my arms and pushing my torso against the wind. My arms could hang on lightly on the bars. It really felt as if I had a much bigger screen. For those that have owned a sportbike with a normal height windscreen, it feels exacly the same. The wind is off the chest and only partially on the helmet. This of course will vary depending on your height. Personally, unless I have a fairly sizeable windscreen, I usually go with a full face helmet because of the aero design and the noise reduction. I have found that wind flows much better around a full face than a half lid and goggles. Plus being a long time sportbike rider, I'm just used to the full face helmet.

I do most of my riding on country roads, some in town and minimal highway. My average speed is 60-65 mph. I can tell you that with this screen and my style of riding, I can ride all day long because of the wind protection it provides. I didn't post pics but the website has pics of the CB with the exact same type screen I installed. go to: http://www.dartflyscreens.com then click on CB1100A. I paid $159 and free shipping. After trying it out, I would easily pay double. I of course have not tried any other screens on my CB but highly recommend adding this one to your list of potentials if you're looking for one. I don't know if it fits the 2014, DLX or whatever other models or mods may be out there. I do know it fit my stock from the factory 2013 CB1100.

Ride On :thumbsup:
A little protection from the wind does not hurt, even on my cb 1100 I mounted a small windshield such as size, but the real difference I tried this with the universal GIVI windscreen, the aesthetics of the bike changes a lot but you know sometimes the 'aesthetics is the enemy of efficiency, I traveled 8400 km from Italy to Nordkapp in Norway and the cold and the rain were my friends, but the Givi windscreen was my greatest friend, when I returned home I removed the windshield .... but the difference is huge.http://www.ebay.it/itm/PARABREZZA-CUPOLINO-SCORREVOLE-UNIVERSALE-MOTO-GIVI-AIRFLOW-AF49-KIT-ATTACCHI-/360376377079?pt=Ricambi_e_Accessori_Moto&hash=item53e81b1ef7
 
Sounds like a great ride, Andor.
 
Many thanks for posting this! I wanted something tailor made at a reasonable price that would just knock the wind off my torso at 65-75 mph. Hope my 6'1" frame isn't too tall. This looks about the same size as the Puig universal screen I just ordered from Amazon. It's going back as soon as I get it...not even going to take it out of the box.
 
Thread starter
I hope that at 6'1" it works well for you. I probably should have posted the disclaimer "Results may vary depending on your size and riding style". Personally I think it will do what you're looking for. I am still amazed at the difference of this little screen. It looks good and functions well without taking away from the look of the bike.
 
Calamari_imp said:
I hope that at 6'1" it works well for you. I probably should have posted the disclaimer "Results may vary depending on your size and riding style". Personally I think it will do what you're looking for. I am still amazed at the difference of this little screen. It looks good and functions well without taking away from the look of the bike.
I'm somewhat short of torso, so I should be fine. I am more interested in form over function, but I expect it will achieve the intended results. Thanks again for posting this.
 
Does the Dart Flyscreen work with the 2014s that have the higher headlight and larger instrument/gauge pods?

It seems like a neat attachment system, but it is not cheap either (compared to screen offerings from National Cycle). However, even if it didn't improve air flow much, it does look sharp on a bike that should remain mostly "naked" IMHO.

I'm another in the 6'-1" crowd, but since my last handlebar adjustment (rotated slightly toward me), I don't seem to get any bad windblast on my chest riding sans screen of any sort. Maybe the way the air is now flowing over my arms is creating better aerodynamics?

Now, the bugs on my face screen are another story. As the name would suggest, the Dart should help with that, shouldn't it?
 
Gumby 1100_imp said:
Does the Dart Flyscreen work with the 2014s that have the higher headlight and larger instrument/gauge pods?

It seems like a neat attachment system, but it is not cheap either (compared to screen offerings from National Cycle). However, even if it didn't improve air flow much, it does look sharp on a bike that should remain mostly "naked" IMHO.

I'm another in the 6'-1" crowd, but since my last handlebar adjustment (rotated slightly toward me), I don't seem to get any bad windblast on my chest riding sans screen of any sort. Maybe the way the air is now flowing over my arms is creating better aerodynamics?

Now, the bugs on my face screen are another story. As the name would suggest, the Dart should help with that, shouldn't it?
It looks like they are working on one for the 2014. Can't hurt to shoot them an email to inquire about it.
 
Quote:It looks like they are working on one for the 2014. Can't hurt to shoot them an email to inquire about it.
Yes, there is a special version of the brackets in development to fit the screen properly to the 2014. I am in correspondence with Steve from dartflyscreens.com about it.

Regards
Gustav
 
Gumby 1100_imp said:
Does the Dart Flyscreen work with the 2014s that have the higher headlight and larger instrument/gauge pods?

It seems like a neat attachment system, but it is not cheap either (compared to screen offerings from National Cycle). However, even if it didn't improve air flow much, it does look sharp on a bike that should remain mostly "naked" IMHO.

I'm another in the 6'-1" crowd, but since my last handlebar adjustment (rotated slightly toward me), I don't seem to get any bad windblast on my chest riding sans screen of any sort. Maybe the way the air is now flowing over my arms is creating better aerodynamics?

Now, the bugs on my face screen are another story. As the name would suggest, the Dart should help with that, shouldn't it?
I am sure that Steve at Dart will do his level best to accommodate the fit of the screen.

As far as bugs go, the answer is NO. Your helmet will most likely be in clean air, unless you are a super short arse, so looking through a veil of bugs will still be part of the experience. The screen does collect a mass of bugs so I guess those would normally be adorning the instrument cluster, or your lower/mid jacket front.

Cheers
 
I'm looking forward to the release of the 2014 Dart model.

One reason is to get rid of the cheap plastic headlight brackets supplied by Honda. From a distance they don't look too bad, but upon closer inspection mine where missing silver paint at the front where it appeared they ground off some injection moulding flashing.
I touched up the ground areas with something that has proven invaluable to me with various bikes: Chrome Silver Nail Polish (the "all purpose" and extremely durable touch up tool).

When you buy the Dart, you essentially get durable metal headlight brackets for free!
 
Back
Top