Darn - The CB1100 is very heavy

cbdtran_imp

Been there
Thread starter
last night I try to lean the motorbike at stop just to feel how heavy it is, it is!

Seem to me this bike is 600 lbs not 540, compared to the BMW R1200R, it feels much heavier at lean angle; compare to the Yamaha FZ1, it feels 100 lbs heavier.

Does anyone really weight the bike on scale for the real number?
 
Lol..lean a Wing, ST 1300, K model Beemer or any Harley. You want heavy? I wouldn't even try to lean my ST 1300 because it would list to the port side like the Titanic in a heartbeat. Lol

Honda says 542 on weight. Seems about right to me. It's no CB250R but its not a GL 1800 either.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Lol..lean a Wing, ST 1300, K model Beemer or any Harley. You want heavy? I wouldn't even try to lean my ST 1300 because it would list to the port side like the Titanic in a heartbeat. Lol

Honda says 542 on weight. Seems about right to me. It's no CB250R but its not a GL 1800 either.
Agreed you better make sure you have sure footing with the ST
 
The location of the center of gravity has a lot to do with how "heavy" the bike feels when leaned over. Obviously the higher the COG, the heavier it will feel. Compared to the typical "ADV" bike, the CB's COG is nice and low.
 
The Spaceman_imp said:
The location of the center of gravity has a lot to do with how "heavy" the bike feels when leaned over. Obviously the higher the COG, the heavier it will feel. Compared to the typical "ADV" bike, the CB's COG is nice and low.
Absolutely correct. Having the weight higher makes the biker "top heavy" and can make it seem much heavier than it really is. It has a great deal to do with handling too. That is one of the things I liked about the old BMW's I used to ride. The weight was low in the frame. They were a pleasure to ride.
 
Yeah, I had to pick up my ST1300 a few years ago, after FUBARing a corner and ending up in the dirt.

I knew I'd only have enough strength for one try, so I gave it 100% on that first tug. Luckily, the hernias didn't let go! :D
 
A wise uncle told me if I ever dropped my bike to pick it up immediately while the adrenaline was still flowing!
 
Its true about center of gravity and "top heavy" as in having a top box. I recently found a good example of this.............I traded in a Goldwing for F6B, the F6 does not have top box, cruise or reverse (about 65pds lighter) and the feel/ride of the F6 is different from the Wing, feels almost like a totally different bike.
With the CB1100 and F6B life is good!
 
Oooohhh I like the F6B. Bet thats a lot of fun
 
I added a 6 gal tank to the XR650L then went riding up the back way to Crown King. Using the word road to describe parts of the trial is really pushing the term. Anyway, dropped that sucker too many times to count and that full (because yes I filled up before I left) gas tank was a hell of a lot of weight in the wrong spot.

I won't do that again.
 
Rboe_imp said:
I added a 6 gal tank to the XR650L then went riding up the back way to Crown King. Using the word road to describe parts of the trial is really pushing the term. Anyway, dropped that sucker too many times to count and that full (because yes I filled up before I left) gas tank was a hell of a lot of weight in the wrong spot.

I won't do that again.
6 gallons x 6lbs per gallon = 36lbs, not that heavy. Being up high is what did it.

I find this bike only marginally heavier than my CBR, which is about 100lbs lighter, and has its weight as well managed as one could possibly ask for, being a sport bike.
 
I was surprised how small the CB looks in person and to me it felt fairly light. I've yet to blessed with a test ride so my impressions are just from sitting in the showroom making vroom noises.
 
I don't doubt that the bike is about 540 lbs. It's obviously a bit heavy, but it's noticeably lighter than my cruiser and easier to get up off it's side.

I had to pick it up a couple weeks ago at a red light - I was getting ready to turn right, and someone changed lanes in the middle of the intersection as I started to pull out. I grabbed way too much front brake in some sand, and on it's side it went. Only thing damaged was my pride and the right-side bar end... Picking up the bike while the adrenaline is flowing does definitely make it easier.
 
Greg_imp said:
A wise uncle told me if I ever dropped my bike to pick it up immediately while the adrenaline was still flowing!
Your uncle was right! I had to hoist my Vulcan 1700 up off the ground after a driveway mishap when I took a dive. It was much easier than I thought it would be thanks to adrenaline/anger/embarrassment....having crash bars helps give a little leverage too.
 
I like the CB's weight. On the "brain-side" I like it because I know it stems from quality materials like the heavy-duty frame bars, the steel gas tank, (Ducati's retro bikes had plastic tanks that deformed and leaked), even steel fenders. On the "butt-side" the bike tracks like a train on the super-slab and in the corners, and the weight helps that.

Carbon fiber and Unobtainium have their places, but the CB doesn't need them.
 
Gasoline is 6 lbs./gallon. Diesel is about the same. Water is 8.34 lbs/gallon.
Thanks I learned something today... wonder if it has to do with the density or molecular makeup of the different liquids?

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk 4.1.4
 
dBuster_imp said:
Gasoline is 6 lbs./gallon. Diesel is about the same. Water is 8.34 lbs/gallon.
Thanks I learned something today... wonder if it has to do with the density or molecular makeup of the different liquids?

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk 4.1.4
Yes, less dense than water (compare that to mercury at over 100 lbs per gallon). I must be a bit of an expert on the subject since just the other day my wife told me "when it comes to dense, you set the standard"
 
I'm only a 135 lbs and don't find the CB1100 heavy. Now the Goldwing I had was one heavy bike (with ABS, etc.). I now have a '13 Feejer that's only a 100 lbs heavier than the CB. I feel that both the CB and the Yammie have their weight down low, however, if you lean these bike beyond a certain point, there'll be no returning. Compared to the goldwing I had, I find the Feejer to be much more comfy due to the seating position and also find the suspension, handling, tracking to be much better and no low speed wobble. Traction control, factory heated grips, adjustable handlebars, factory cruise control and electric windshield are all icing on the cake for me. And did I mention weight? Yes, approx. 300 lbs lighter than the wing.
 
Back
Top