Cyclops LED Headlight

kmoney_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
Got one of these in the mail today and put it in. Install is fairly easy on the CB, and all of the extra electronics do manage to fit into our relatively small headlight bucket.

The only real modification is that you have to bend the spring clip on the headlight retainer in order for it to clear the now much larger base on the LED housing. I would rate the overall quality as pretty good. The base is made of soft plastic, and I somewhat question the longevity of the pins that are holding the bulb to the retainer (it's a twist-and-lock setup), but time will bear this out I guess... Will post up some beam pics when I get it adjusted and out on an actual road. Immediate observation is that it's definitely much brighter than the stock halogen. It is also fan cooled and you do notice the fan at KOEO, but not when the bike is actually running.

0617e00c83aba2daccb57f676cda2404.jpg


63eba1add95934038be03b86136a709b.jpg


ef8ec456c28047ad0f4063b094c9e8b0.jpg


8b283f183bb624d30f4f39b69d507ac4.jpg


35b5aceef2043e78c9b310f545375afd.jpg
 
Thread starter
Jim21680_imp said:
Interesting. Did the boot require cutting? Also, what did this end up costing you?
They're $63USD. The boot didn't require cutting, but the fit is basically as tight as you could possibly get and still be okay. I may take it out and run it without the weather boot, but my only fear is that if condensation gets in there the LED's aren't hot enough to vaporize it, so I end up with a wet headlight housing.
 
Did you go with the 3800 lumen H4 bulb?
 
We live in vastly different climates, but I haven't had any problems without the boot yet.
Mine is a fanless unit, but I'm assuming the fan on yours is drawing air back away from the LED (evacuating the headlamp?)

If it's blowing the other way, into the lamp, I could definitely see condensation being a problem, with or without the boot.
 
Thread starter
kennyw_imp said:
Did you go with the 3800 lumen H4 bulb?
It's the 3800 lumen. In addition to being brighter I think this has the potential to give better patterns -- notice how on the 3600 the LEDs are mounted in a triagular fashion, whereas these are mounted and shielded in the same manner as an h4 halogen.
Jim21680_imp said:
We live in vastly different climates, but I haven't had any problems without the boot yet.
Mine is a fanless unit, but I'm assuming the fan on yours is drawing air back away from the LED (evacuating the headlamp?)

If it's blowing the other way, into the lamp, I could definitely see condensation being a problem, with or without the boot.
Thanks. The fan does blow out so maybe I'll give it a shot.
 
Back
Top