CTX 700 DCT/ABS

Capo_imp said:
I rented and rode an NC 700 DCT on the Angeles Crest for over 200 miles a few years back. It was...adequate. Having a Speed Triple there now puts it in perspective.

The NC was Nice enough, and it makes for a good all weather, comfy bike for those looking for high- quality, lo- drama adequacy in a motorbike. The diesel- esque power delivery, 5k redline, and fun- sucking DCT made it feel like the scooter that it was derived from, but bikes like that have their place.

I'd find it an ideal NYC or urban bike, especially with that roo- pouch where the gas tank should be. Good weather protection. Ferret, you indicated you're heading into your dotage () so it might work out for you. In that I'm only 59, I have a while to go before I'd settle!!

(There needs to be an emoji for good natured ball- busting!)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Capo you tongue in cheek description of the NC700 made me laugh. The first 23 years I rode a motorcycle, good natured kidding was always a part of the crowd that I hung around with. I miss that. It's hard to do that on-line because it is so easy to be misunderstood and hurt someone's feelings.

You description of the NC700 however does reflect many of the comments made on the CB500X Forum by people who owned or tested the NC.
 
Nortoon_imp said:
Capo_imp said:
I rented and rode an NC 700 DCT on the Angeles Crest for over 200 miles a few years back. It was...adequate. Having a Speed Triple there now puts it in perspective.

The NC was Nice enough, and it makes for a good all weather, comfy bike for those looking for high- quality, lo- drama adequacy in a motorbike. The diesel- esque power delivery, 5k redline, and fun- sucking DCT made it feel like the scooter that it was derived from, but bikes like that have their place.

I'd find it an ideal NYC or urban bike, especially with that roo- pouch where the gas tank should be. Good weather protection. Ferret, you indicated you're heading into your dotage () so it might work out for you. In that I'm only 59, I have a while to go before I'd settle!!

(There needs to be an emoji for good natured ball- busting!)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Capo you tongue in cheek description of the NC700 made me laugh. The first 23 years I rode a motorcycle, good natured kidding was always a part of the crowd that I hung around with. I miss that. It's hard to do that on-line because it is so easy to be misunderstood and hurt someone's feelings.

You description of the NC700 however does reflect many of the comments made on the CB500X Forum by people who owned or tested the NC.
Me too! :D
 
I could not do the NC700 manual. Not without beefing up the motor. It just didn't feel right. It's like the gears/motor had flat spots. The seat for me was horrible. Pulling me into the tank and sitting on the inside edges of my sit bones, unlike sitting on a flat rock wall, which although hard, is comfortable. The 500X was just so easy to get on and ride. It was like a bicycle with a nice motor. Then I sat on a Corbin NC700X and it was just too tall and weird shaped.

The ferret_imp said:
Just got back from returning the CTX and picking up my ST. It's now ready for some trippin! Only got a little wet coming home lol

Anyhow, on my return on the DCT, I paid attention where it shifted this time . On flat straight ground taking off from a light it shifted into 2nd at 15 mph, into 3rd @ 20, into 4th @ 25 into 5th @ 30 and into 6th @ 35, downshifts were at approx. the same speeds. Again this was in D mode (NOT sport mode). Roads were a little wet and I wasn't going to experiment with a bike that didn't belong to me.

Sea, yea it was a stretch to the pegs for me since I'm shorter than you by a bunch as evidenced by the Ribbers pic in your ride report. So much so, I didn't even try and use the rear brake, I just used the front. My left hand only reflexively reached for the clutch about 3 times each day lol. I actually thought about Cheryl and her bike on my ride back up to the shop, as I had a few turns to go thru. Remembering the roads I took you on in Kentucky, I'm even more impressed with her riding than I was before. The riding position is not really conducive to curvy roads and I took you guys on some doozies. She did unbelievably great... I didn't realize just how great until I rode the same machine thru some curves.

I don't think the bike lacks any power for the riding I was doing, but I never exceeded the speed limit of 45 mph. It would have been more aggressive in the Sport Mode, or using the paddle shifters, but for me yesterday and today, it was just a conveyance to get home and back, 11 miles each way.

I have ridden the SV 650 (my nephew has had 2) and the NC 700 (his brother in Nevada has one and Di and I borrowed it to ride thru the Sierra Nevada's in Nevada and Calif) and have ridden the FZ-07 at Yamaha days at my local dealer. Have not ridden the CB500X yet. Since I'm a low rpm/use the torque type rider, I am leaning toward the NC 700 (but not a DCT I'm afraid). Lots of SV 650s used for great prices though. The NC's are hard to find used around here.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Just got back from returning the CTX and picking up my ST. It's now ready for some trippin! Only got a little wet coming home lol

Anyhow, on my return on the DCT, I paid attention where it shifted this time . On flat straight ground taking off from a light it shifted into 2nd at 15 mph, into 3rd @ 20, into 4th @ 25 into 5th @ 30 and into 6th @ 35, downshifts were at approx. the same speeds. Again this was in D mode (NOT sport mode). Roads were a little wet and I wasn't going to experiment with a bike that didn't belong to me.

Sea, yea it was a stretch to the pegs for me since I'm shorter than you by a bunch as evidenced by the Ribbers pic in your ride report. So much so, I didn't even try and use the rear brake, I just used the front. My left hand only reflexively reached for the clutch about 3 times each day lol. I actually thought about Cheryl and her bike on my ride back up to the shop, as I had a few turns to go thru. Remembering the roads I took you on in Kentucky, I'm even more impressed with her riding than I was before. The riding position is not really conducive to curvy roads and I took you guys on some doozies. She did unbelievably great... I didn't realize just how great until I rode the same machine thru some curves.

I don't think the bike lacks any power for the riding I was doing, but I never exceeded the speed limit of 45 mph. It would have been more aggressive in the Sport Mode, or using the paddle shifters, but for me yesterday and today, it was just a conveyance to get home and back, 11 miles each way.

I have ridden the SV 650 (my nephew has had 2) and the NC 700 (his brother in Nevada has one and Di and I borrowed it to ride thru the Sierra Nevada's in Nevada and Calif) and have ridden the FZ-07 at Yamaha days at my local dealer. Have not ridden the CB500X yet. Since I'm a low rpm/use the torque type rider, I am leaning toward the NC 700 (but not a DCT I'm afraid). Lots of SV 650s used for great prices though. The NC's are hard to find used around here.
On the CB500X Forum a 2012 Honda NC700 DCT with ABS
http://www.cb500x.com/index.php/topic,5204.0.html



2012 Honda NC700X DCT – seat height lowered 1” - easily returned to stock height, or lowered further.
$4,000 - possible trade for a CB500X with ABS
Located in Lincoln, NE
Just under 9,100 miles
Always garaged, but not a garage queen, has been well cared for and runs like a top
Rear lowered ½” with lowering link from Soupy’s Performance, and Soupy’s adjustable side stand installed. Fork tubes raised ½”
25mm lower seat (original full height seat included)
Rox Pivoting 2" Handlebar Risers
NC700S Center stand installed
Shinko 705 front and rear with about 3,000 miles on them
Cal Sci windscreen (OEM short windscreen included)
Kaoko throttle lock
Fork gaiters
Added 12v outlet in the “frunk” with Battery Tender adapter
SW-MOTECH On-Road Off-Road Convertible Foot pegs mounted in lower position (15mm from stock position)
SW-MOTECH Quick-Lock EVO Side carrier racks with adapter kit for Givi Monokey/Kappa side cases
GIVI E22 hard bags
 
Flynrider_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
While the Honda Australia website leaves a little to be desired, it looks like three variants of the CTX 700 will be offered here. The CTX 700—the basic 6-speed manual version; the CTX 700D—with DCT; and the CTX 700N—manual with no fairing, so I suppose 'N' stands for naked.

I'm not sure why I'd buy a bike with automatic transmission.
I'm with you there, Cormanus. I won't even buy a car with an automatic. If I had to deal with heavy city traffic, I'd probably have a different opinion.
I'm with you there, Cormanus. I won't even buy a car with an automatic. If I had to deal with heavy city traffic, I'd probably have a different opinion.
My understanding is the bike is targeting the daily commuter. While scooters are commuters, this bike is freeway worthy no questions asked.

We finally got the NC750X north of the border. It has a bit more power (54 hp, 50 ft-lbs), and some extra tech like torque control. I too keep hearing locally that the Africa+DCT and Gold Wing+DCT are a serious hit and this is from long time traditional riders. Maybe I will check out the 2018/19 NC750X this year and see what all the ruckus is about. It definitely is no rocket: 0 - 60 mph in about 5.4 s, but can achieve 2.94 L/100 kms economy - and that is scooter territory.
 
The NC700X had a hard redline of 6500rpm, something most riders complained about. I noticed it most when going up freeway on-ramps - wished it wasn't so abrupt. When they went to the NC750X in 2018 in the US, the rev limit was upped to 7500rpm because they added a rear counterbalancer shaft.
 
pekingduck_imp said:
The NC700X had a hard redline of 6500rpm, something most riders complained about. I noticed it most when going up freeway on-ramps - wished it wasn't so abrupt. When they went to the NC750X in 2018 in the US, the rev limit was upped to 7500rpm because they added a rear counterbalancer shaft.
For the 2018 model, my understanding is in addition to going to manual mode to override the shift points in the tranny, one can also choose to select "sport" (?) behaviour when in automatic mode. I reckon the sport setting allows the tranny to stay in a gear longer during acceleration. The added RPM red line ceiling probably reduces the frequency of hitting the engine limiter.
 
EmptySea_imp said:
Here's the CBR650f my local Honda dealer has. He says he'll take $9000 including all the add-ons and he'll pay for a one way ticket from Cincy to OHare
3597010cbf63cb4bdb7ca852f53564f0.jpg

ee92a7aa084635d502c9fa3841126ecd.jpg

18d81cc9817b3d2a7eedd1a3643d2947.jpg

1aeb4af1fa23ed9017bea8321b2097c8.jpg



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
RE CBR: A colleague used to claim reaching 300 km/h. That is a different world to me.

One thing that is obvious, it is far different than the NC7xxX DCT, or heck, anything road DCT.
 
I don't dispute whatever was said here but I like standard tranny and shifting gears...
Wing = big/heavy bike...maybe DCT..???
Good luck to all
 
DCT-based Gold Wings appear to be a significant hit at three Honda dealerships I have visited. Existing G.Wingers appear to be choosing DCT 4:1 leaving the standard gearbox models on the floor.
 
pekingduck_imp said:
The NC700X had a hard redline of 6500rpm, something most riders complained about. I noticed it most when going up freeway on-ramps - wished it wasn't so abrupt. When they went to the NC750X in 2018 in the US, the rev limit was upped to 7500rpm because they added a rear counterbalancer shaft.
take the DCT version and with DCT in the auto mode D or Sport...so you have never any rpm problems ! ! ! bcos DCT changes always the gears befor you come in the limiter and of the otherside it changes aleways befor you kill the engine bcos to low rpms

btw. the NC engine is a torque-motor..you need not this rpms...
peterbaron_imp said:
I don't dispute whatever was said here but I like standard tranny and shifting gears...
Wing = big/heavy bike...maybe DCT..???
Good luck to all
why must be a bike heavy / big for DCT ?

why must be the bike a commuter ?

---------------------------------------

nobody changes the gears self so fast like DCT does .....and DCT changes the gears always in the best torque/rpm relation....


.







peterbaron_imp said:
I don't dispute whatever was said here but I like standard tranny and shifting gears...
Wing = big/heavy bike...maybe DCT..???
Good luck to all


why must be a bike heavy / big for DCT ?










 
I don't think PB's comment was for any technical reason. Maybe just leveraging his standard gear shift pride :) , which would be natural position for many.

When my tendons stop performing at their best, I hope to have the option and access to fun on something like a DCT-based (or pure electric) machine.
 
Back
Top