CrossHelmet: A Smart Helmet ...

I gotta pass on that thing. My head is worth only about $550 USD :P
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
I gotta pass on that thing. My head is worth only about $550 USD :P
Think mine is worth less!
i can remember when Shoei S20 helmets were $40 each.
 
While the rear view camera seems like a good idea, to me, the permanent heads-up display may be more distracting than useful, especially at night with headlight glare. On my CB11, what is directly back in my lane is partially blocked by my forearms, an advantage at night.

I have many more close calls from vehicles merging or cutting in my lane than from behind, so am constantly glancing left and right. The heads-up display would not help me there, and would give a false sense of security.

And noise cancellation? I doubt it would be very effective unless it could completely cover your ears. My cheap foam earplugs do a remarkably good job. (btw -that's Yoshi Kosaka of Garage Company in the last part of the vid)
 
Hey! :@

You’re probably right, sigh. :-/
 
popgun, I think Houtman is being really cheap saying that.

This helmet is way beyond my pocket, although I think it’s neat. I wonder though if the propaganda is right that the touchpad is on the right side of the helmet. If so, it would be difficult to operate on the move unless you had cruise control.
 
Thread starter
Leave it the Japanese to take the lead on things like this. A good Godzilla helmet, but maybe not for riding? In any case, noise cancelling is interesting, but I wonder what the long term effects it would be since there has got to be "sound leakage" in a helmet.

Love the responses here.
 
For that amount of money I'd expect a high intensity wifi LED in the back of the helmet connected to the brake light. Arguably adds more safety benefit than any 3 interior options combined that this helmet boasts.
 
Thread starter
Be careful what you ask for. Cagers like deer-in-the-headlights will say, "Whuzzzzz that shining on the back of this head ... ?" ... as their bumper strikes your rear wheel.

- - -

I personally would use the HUD over a bar mounted GPS phone (that always seems to get washed out by the sun) for daily traffic status. I don't care for music, but the inter-rider com could be a convenience bonus for long distance group rides. I think things like these will come cheaper in the next few years.
 
Back
Top