crankcase/sprocket cover replacement

Houtman_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
I found the left side of the CB1100 somewhat lacking in 'bling" and ordered a chrome chain guard from Samurider,hopefully it will be here soon.When I saw a brochure of the UK bikes I noticed that on their bikes they had a silver colored left crank case/front sprocket cover.I thought why not have that one on my bike to get a better look on the left side.After being in contact with David Silver Spares in England I ordered a cover with the 3 bolts as well.The total cost including shipping to the USA was about $285.I could have bought a cover here cheaper and painted it but I wanted the original Honda paint/finish on it and keep my old one as a spare.As soon as it arrives I will post a picture.
 
I'm not sure, but doesn't Webike have a billet aluminum part to replace the sprocket cover? They have a part they call "sprocket cover," but I can't tell if it replaces the cover or goes under it to somehow improve the sprocket's operation. Their brilliant English translations don't help...
 
Thread starter
http://i1360.photobucket.com/albums/r653/JohnMBHoutman/009_zps4224f2ce.jpg
http://i1360.photobucket.com/albums/r653/JohnMBHoutman/010_zps217673bf.jpg
Hi,we finally posted these 2 pictures after a struggle with photo bucket,still it is not easy for us to do.
On the first picture you can see the new crankcase /sprocket cover in the same material and color as the side cover.I think that this way it looks a little nicer than the darker cover.The price was about $285 for cover and the 3 special bolts in the silver color.It only took 10 minutes to install,put the grommets from the old cover onto the new one and I used my own st. st. washers and the new bolts.
The second picture is of my new Corbin seat,I ordered the seat in vinyl instaed of leather.I have had vinyl Corbin seats for over 20 years and they look like new,more water proof than leather and very little up keep.I ordered the tomato red welts.I will never get a back rest for this seat but it still came with the little flap covering the area for a backrest fit.If I had known I would have ordered the seat with a smooth back but hopefully a rack will cover this flap.I have an original Honda rear carrier for the CB1100 but also ordered a black Kilima seat from Samurider and will see which one looks best on the bike.It is very easy to spend money on this bike with all the nice products available from Japan.I am still waiting for my chrome chain guard and my Over st. st. engine bars.
 
Ferret,

I was thinking whats the big deal? Don't we already have that. Went to the garage and, oh yeah, its black plastic!

For $300 it going to stay black plastic too!

I think it looks great on that bike, expecially with that red on the seat.
 
Your other picture Houtman


Houtman_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
I have about 1500 miles on it but not cleaned yet.Having 3 other bikes on the road as well and rotating them in order to keep them all running good will give less miles on each bike.It is not as bad now living in NC but when I lived in Upstate NY I had 8 bikes and all on the road and a shorter riding season.You really had to take care of the gas situation and not and up with carb. problems.
Same situation here. I had 4 plus my wife has one that I was always riding in rotation...lots of seafoam in the winter and 5 battery tender jrs. I sold two to buy the CB so down to 3 plus my wifes. Its hard to keep up with it all sometimes, but I wouldn't have it any other way. Love my motorcycles.
 
I do like the silver cover from the UK but would absolutely jump on a polished aluminium or even chrome steel versions. It looks like David Silver Spares only deals in spares for Honda bikes 10 years and older. Did you convince him to order the part from Honda UK?

You should really like the upgrade from the factory black plastic chain cover to chrome steel chain cover. I love mine!

I've been looking at the carbon fiber versions of crankcase/sprocket covers from Force Design. but carbon fiber doesn't really do it for me.
 
Thread starter
CB4ME_imp said:
I do like the silver cover from the UK but would absolutely jump on a polished aluminium or even chrome steel versions. It looks like David Silver Spares only deals in spares for Honda bikes 10 years and older. Did you convince him to order the part from Honda UK?

You should really like the upgrade from the factory black plastic chain cover to chrome steel chain cover. I love mine!

I've been looking at the carbon fiber versions of crankcase/sprocket covers from Force Design. but carbon fiber doesn't really do it for me.
Yes,emailing Dave Silver and ordering the part was no problem.10 days between first email and having the part in my hand,Dave Silver gives excellent service.The UK price was about $225 for just the cover,in the USA you can buy them for about $160 and than paint them but I wanted the Honda exact color and finish.On top of the $225 was shipping .I just had an email from Samurider that my chrome chainguard,st. st. Over engine guards and the black Kilima carrier are on the way.Samurider also gives great service and keeps buyers informed .
 
I am sorely tempted to order the UK crankcase/sproket covers. I really like what they do for the bike.

Are the UK covers the same black plastic covers as the US ones, only factory painted by Honda, or are they solid silver colored plastic?

I have to agree that Samurider is very responsive. I just asked Takashi to help me find Candy Glory Red air cleaner covers. I also asked if CB1100 owners were keeping him busy. He replied that CB1100 owners were singlehandedly keeping him busy! I'm pretty sure it's all the folks on this forum.
 
Thread starter
I am certain that they are solid silver as the back is a silver color but no clear coat.I just took the grommets of the old ones ,used new st. st. washers I had and used the 3 special silver bolts I also ordered from Dave Silver.I do not know if he received them directly from Honda or from an other dealer but I have had excellent service from Dave Silver in the past ordering parts for my CBX.I think that the silver cover really lightens up the left side of the bike.It is not cheap but it was worth it to me.I probably will not put a shield on the front as I do not mind the wind.The Corbin seat is a very tight fit,in the past I just put the Corbin seats loose on my CB1000 and just went for a long ride.I think my weight did make it finally fit and now it is easy to fit by hand.On the Corbin website the tuck and roll looks worse than it is in reality.I like the looks of the seat but could have done without the little back flap to fit a backrest.
 
Houtman,

Thanks for the information. Like the seat, love the license plate number and the silver cover. Sounds like you've had some nice Honda's: CBX, CB1000. Do you have an overall favorite, or does each shine in its own way?

Contacting David Silver today once I figure out the washers, gromets and bolts.
 
Thread starter
I love all my bikes in their own way.Yesterday I took my 79 CBX to go to the Pisgah Inn Country Store on the BRP .There are always a lot of bikers stopping there for a break.The CBX always attracks a lot of people commenting on it.I would not take it out on very long trips any more like in the past,although they are very reliable.The CB1000 is a vastly underrated bike,I love it for long trips,strong and lots of room to carry stuff.The Cb1100 is a great bike for around town,light and very easy to move around traffic with perfect transmission.The older Honda,s have still a clunky sound to them when changing gears.
 
Houtman_imp said:
I am certain that they are solid silver as the back is a silver color but no clear coat.I just took the grommets of the old ones ,used new st. st. washers I had and used the 3 special silver bolts I also ordered from Dave Silver.I do not know if he received them directly from Honda or from an other dealer but I have had excellent service from Dave Silver in the past ordering parts for my CBX.I think that the silver cover really lightens up the left side of the bike.It is not cheap but it was worth it to me.I probably will not put a shield on the front as I do not mind the wind.The Corbin seat is a very tight fit,in the past I just put the Corbin seats loose on my CB1000 and just went for a long ride.I think my weight did make it finally fit and now it is easy to fit by hand.On the Corbin website the tuck and roll looks worse than it is in reality.I like the looks of the seat but could have done without the little back flap to fit a backrest.
The silver cover looks really good ! Sounds like you've got a nice collection of Honda 1000 standards :-)
 
Back
Top