Covid times, and my CB

j3gq_imp

Been there
Thread starter
Not a grand revelation, I know. But Covid has changed many things, like it or not. And sitting down and looking at these last 18 months, and the way they made me feel, I realize there has been very little to enjoy, or to keep looking forward to .... with one exception, the time spend on my CB.

Pathetic ? May be, but that’s the way I see it these days.
Thanks for this great forum, advice, insight, and not the least friendship.
 
yes these are trying times indeed and riding the CB (or any motorcycle) provides a brief respite from all the craziness.
 
j3gq_imp said:
Not a grand revelation, I know. But Covid has changed many things, like it or not. And sitting down and looking at these last 18 months, and the way they made me feel, I realize there has been very little to enjoy, or to keep looking forward to .... with one exception, the time spend on my CB.

Pathetic ? May be, but that’s the way I see it these days.
Thanks for this great forum, advice, insight, and not the least friendship.
Not pathetic at all. It is a blessing to have something in life that you're passionate about.

j3gq_imp said:
Not a grand revelation, I know. But Covid has changed many things, like it or not. And sitting down and looking at these last 18 months, and the way they made me feel, I realize there has been very little to enjoy, or to keep looking forward to .... with one exception, the time spend on my CB.

Pathetic ? May be, but that’s the way I see it these days.
Thanks for this great forum, advice, insight, and not the least friendship.
I'm love mornings with coffee and breakfast while reading through the posts here.
 
Covid, yeah. Wasn't in my mind while cruising the rural north this morning in a wonderful 14C crisp, clean sunny air. The beast just lapped up the coolness and responded to every command without hesitation. I look forward to that feelin' every time.
 
These weird times may be with us for a while, so hang on to the joy.
 
I've found lots of interesting things to do with my time, but then i'm in what I understand to be a strange bracket of the population for whom nothing really changed over the last 18 months. My life remained untouched, I was never exposed to Covid, nobody I work with ever even got it. I read enough and talk to enough people to know how bizarre that is.

That said, I have managed to get in more quality riding this year than I think any year of my life previous. 2020 and 2021 have been banner years for fun miles. I've bonded with the CB in ways it's hard to describe. The climate of society has made that opening, and I think that opening has taught me it's what i'm meant to be doing. In fact, i've gotten to enjoy so much riding this last year that I'm considering going through the advanced rider course work and becoming an MSF instructor for a weekend side hustle. All so I can spend more time on my CB and teach others to find their CB and spend more time on it.
 
misterprofessionality_imp said:
I've found lots of interesting things to do with my time, but then i'm in what I understand to be a strange bracket of the population for whom nothing really changed over the last 18 months. My life remained untouched, I was never exposed to Covid, nobody I work with ever even got it. I read enough and talk to enough people to know how bizarre that is.

That said, I have managed to get in more quality riding this year than I think any year of my life previous. 2020 and 2021 have been banner years for fun miles. I've bonded with the CB in ways it's hard to describe. The climate of society has made that opening, and I think that opening has taught me it's what i'm meant to be doing. In fact, i've gotten to enjoy so much riding this last year that I'm considering going through the advanced rider course work and becoming an MSF instructor for a weekend side hustle. All so I can spend more time on my CB and teach others to find their CB and spend more time on it.
Cool story, MP; I hope your plans to become an MSF instrucotr pan out.

My wife has experienced something similar ...for her, she had a 1-way 50-minute train commute and was growing tired of that. She was considering retiring even though she loves her job. Overnight she was required to work from home (IT). Her company realized overall productivity improved and now they have no plans to require their employees to return to a physical location. Now she says she may work 5-6 years more.

I teach at a CC and we're still doing classes online using zoom. It works decently, and it does create more flexibilty with my daily schedule and allows for more riding than what I would typically do if I'm on campus daily. I no longer commute on my KLR650, but my CB1100 sees lots more mid-week action. If it's nice out, I go for a ride--the grading and class prep for next day can wait till after dark hours. But soon the OR rains will return full-time...I don't like riding in the rain! I got enough of that commuting by bike and mc for the last 20 years from each Nov to June.
 
My turn signal switch has been a bit problematic since I bought the bike. After fettling it a bit I gave up and ordered a new one. Got an email from Babbit's Honda that Honda has told them that something in the switch is currently impossible to get due to supply problems and they have no idea when it will become available

Ufdah!

Oh well, 1st world problem but covid supply problems finally hit home for me (well, first since TP was a problem :D )
 
Billie_imp said:
Frulk_imp said:
General Discussion... the rest of the subtitle states...” Topics directly related to Honda's CB1100 ”
Well then how about a Political-Religion section.
One of the reasons I continue to follow this forum, even after selling both my Hondas, is because there is NOT a "Political-Religion" section. Let's keep it that way...
 
decarmine_imp said:
Billie_imp said:
Frulk_imp said:
General Discussion... the rest of the subtitle states...” Topics directly related to Honda's CB1100 ”
Well then how about a Political-Religion section.
One of the reasons I continue to follow this forum, even after selling both my Hondas, is because there is NOT a "Political-Religion" section. Let's keep it that way...
One of the reasons I continue to follow this forum, even after selling both my Hondas, is because there is NOT a "Political-Religion" section. Let's keep it that way...
No one would force you to participate.
 
decarmine_imp said:
Billie_imp said:
Frulk_imp said:
General Discussion... the rest of the subtitle states...” Topics directly related to Honda's CB1100 ”
Well then how about a Political-Religion section.
One of the reasons I continue to follow this forum, even after selling both my Hondas, is because there is NOT a "Political-Religion" section. Let's keep it that way...
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
 
It is a weird world right now. I work in the automotive business, so I've heard detailed explanations about component and supply chain issues causing shortages at dealerships. And, I have friends in the maritime shipping industry who have given me explanations about why there are dozens of ships stacked up outside our harbors and parts are hard to get.

One thing is for sure about these issues... while my motorcycles give me great joy each day, and I love taking my car out on weekends, I'm very afraid of damaging any of them. My Bonneville was laid up for months last year waiting for critical parts from England. I'm sure CB1100 parts are even more difficult to find right now. My wife's CRV is currently running with a few missing pieces that are on long-term backorder.

I'm not going to ride or drive any less than I do, but I am being very careful.
 
Back
Top