Country of Origin

Thread starter
Django_imp said:
My CBF was built in Atessa, Italy.

I think, the idea of producing in countries, where many consumers reside, is also, to overcome import restrictions and foreign trade deficit. At least, that are the reasons, why German car manufacturers produce in USA and Brasilia.
That's true but lower wage rates are also an attraction.
 
Paulb_imp said:
Django_imp said:
My CBF was built in Atessa, Italy.

I think, the idea of producing in countries, where many consumers reside, is also, to overcome import restrictions and foreign trade deficit. At least, that are the reasons, why German car manufacturers produce in USA and Brasilia.
That's true but lower wage rates are also an attraction.
That's true but lower wage rates are also an attraction.
True, true.
 
Made in Japan does mean quite a bit to me still. When I was a lad cartoons of the day made fun of products from Japan. Just as Made in Korea became a black eye in the 80's. Now it's China. I had a bolt in my rear caliper stay break off and caused the caliper to flip up and lock up the rear (at 25 mph) and of course I went down. The bolt was a high tension spec US made peice...or so I thought. I found out through some investigation that the US company was importing their steel from China.
 
I rode a china bike about 8 years ago. Build quality was sub par, at best. I've heard the quality has improved. I have no desire to find out. Same with the Korean bikes.

As for Hondas built in Thailand, I bought a new CRF250L when they came out. The quality of the ancillary components, such as switch controls, brackets and whatnot, weren't up the spec of the genuine 'Made in Japan' pieces. It wasn't a bad bike overall, just not what we've come to expect from Honda. That's how they got the price down on those bikes.

Now, my SR400, those are 'Made in Japan' and the quality of the components show it. And the price of that bike reflects that. But really, why go through the cost of moving production when they have always been made in Japan. (The SR's have been in continuous production from the start, back in '78).

As for Harley's, last I checked, they were 60/40 bikes. Sixty percent still American (albeit, with foreign sourced raw materials), forty percent outsourced components. Heck, Harley started outsourcing parts back in the early '70's, so, it's been awhile.
 
It's a funny thing with this `Made in ...'.

Originally, `Made in Germany' was introduced in the 19. century in Great Britain, to distinguish the quality Britain made products from the cheap German copies (rings a bell?). So Made in Gemany was a mark-down at that times and then evolved to today's meaning as seal of quality.

So, in those early times `Made in Germany' was the `Made in China' of today.:P
 
made in china will become what 'made in japan' stands for today
'made in korea' is already on par with 'made in 'japan'
 
I've owned many Honda's since 1970 and I think my Thailand built CRF250L is every bit up to Honda standards. My switches are exactly like my DLXs minus the flash to pass. It's a fantastic little bike, especially after some suspension and gearing upgrades. Can't wait for Honda to do a bigger version to replace the ancient XR650L.
 
Interesting thread.
Just recalled a conversation I had recently with a friend who is a Honnda/Suzuki dealer. Said warranty claims were rising significantly, seems after the typhoon in Japan two years ago the manufacturers subbed out quite a number of assemblies and parts, biting them in the butt now. Motorcycles and cars.

Another friend reminded me when I was leaning on an upper floor balcony railing at a beach condo - that was installed by the low bidder.
 
4 Paws_imp said:
Interesting thread.
Just recalled a conversation I had recently with a friend who is a Honnda/Suzuki dealer. Said warranty claims were rising significantly, seems after the typhoon in Japan two years ago the manufacturers subbed out quite a number of assemblies and parts, biting them in the butt now. Motorcycles and cars.

Another friend reminded me when I was leaning on an upper floor balcony railing at a beach condo - that was installed by the low bidder.
Maybe not even built by a bidder...Absolutely true story-- very late 1970s I was visiting my retired parents on the gulf coast of Florida, and a two story elevated (parking on ground level) condo building was to be built. One day, a convoy of trucks arrived. They delivered the pre-fabricated walls, roof trusses and you know what else? Boxes that contained hammers and assembly instructions. They advertised for and hired college students to put the whole thing together, under supervision I assume.
I never wanted to walk under the thing never mind buy one of the units.
 
BestStandard_imp said:
I've owned many Honda's since 1970 and I think my Thailand built CRF250L is every bit up to Honda standards. My switches are exactly like my DLXs minus the flash to pass. It's a fantastic little bike, especially after some suspension and gearing upgrades. Can't wait for Honda to do a bigger version to replace the ancient XR650L.
I don't have a DLX, but I can tell you the L components were not of the same build quality that other Honda models had at the time the L's came out. The Harley dealer I worked at also carried Honda, at the time. I had plenty of opportunities to not only compare by looking, but also in practice, as well.

Time will time if they stand up to test of time, compared to the genuine 'Made in Japan' parts.

H E double hockey sticks (since the actual word hell, might be offensive, to who knows who), have you seen the switch gear Harley is now using? It looks and feels cheaper than the L's. So maybe we both lucked out!

As for an updated version of the XR650L, don't hold your breath. Seriously. Though I REALLY hope I'm wrong about that!
 
Django_imp said:
My CBF was built in Atessa, Italy.

I think, the idea of producing in countries, where many consumers reside, is also, to overcome import restrictions and foreign trade deficit. At least, that are the reasons, why German car manufacturers produce in USA and Brasilia.
It is. Google "Chicken Tax" and it will explain why so many imports trucks and SUVS (Toyota Tundra, Mercedes ML, BMW X, etc...) are made in America.
 
soulmachine_imp said:
BestStandard_imp said:
I've owned many Honda's since 1970 and I think my Thailand built CRF250L is every bit up to Honda standards. My switches are exactly like my DLXs minus the flash to pass. It's a fantastic little bike, especially after some suspension and gearing upgrades. Can't wait for Honda to do a bigger version to replace the ancient XR650L.
I don't have a DLX, but I can tell you the L components were not of the same build quality that other Honda models had at the time the L's came out. The Harley dealer I worked at also carried Honda, at the time. I had plenty of opportunities to not only compare by looking, but also in practice, as well.

Time will time if they stand up to test of time, compared to the genuine 'Made in Japan' parts.

H E double hockey sticks (since the actual word hell, might be offensive, to who knows who), have you seen the switch gear Harley is now using? It looks and feels cheaper than the L's. So maybe we both lucked out!

As for an updated version of the XR650L, don't hold your breath. Seriously. Though I REALLY hope I'm wrong about that!
I don't have a DLX, but I can tell you the L components were not of the same build quality that other Honda models had at the time the L's came out. The Harley dealer I worked at also carried Honda, at the time. I had plenty of opportunities to not only compare by looking, but also in practice, as well.

Time will time if they stand up to test of time, compared to the genuine 'Made in Japan' parts.

H E double hockey sticks (since the actual word hell, might be offensive, to who knows who), have you seen the switch gear Harley is now using? It looks and feels cheaper than the L's. So maybe we both lucked out!

As for an updated version of the XR650L, don't hold your breath. Seriously. Though I REALLY hope I'm wrong about that!
I wouldn't fixate to much on the whole 'is it really made in Japan or not' thing.

Made in Germany, for example, is perceived as being quality and durability.
However I've heard about Audi interior trims being compromised simply by being exposed by the sun during a long duration.
And lets face it Audi has one of the nicest looking interiors.

So its not because it looks good it is good.
I'd rather have the hard cheap looking plastic interior so to speak instead of the high end looking interior.

Talking about switch gears, the BMW K1600 wich has been in production since 2011, is infamous for having switch gears that suck!
Youtube and Google search show the failures even leading to a complete stall of the engine while riding on the highway.
 
Back
Top