Country of Origin

Paulb_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Does it matter where your bike is made? Do you expect a BMW to be manufactured in Germany? What if your Triumph is made in Thailand? Is it imaginable that Harley Davidsons could be made anywhere other than the USA ? Many manufacturers are moving manufacturing plants away from their country of origin and I wonder how bikers feel about this, does buying the brand also include the country?
 
It matters to me not in the least, unless the sticker says "Made in Great Britain" when in fact it's assembled in Thailand. Otherwise, I don't care. With the proper tools and training, one country's workers are no more or less skilled than another's. If the argument instead is about heritage, soul, and nationalistic pride, to me that's just naivete and arrogance.
 
Don't really care anymore -- modern global commerce has made country of origin a somewhat nebulous concept anyway. I agree with LongRanger, that all country's workers can be equally skilled. What really matters is that the company makes sure their QC and what they demand from suppliers and factories is up to par.

That said, I do try to buy things made in Canada and the USA when I can, not so much because of the quality difference, but because I don't mind paying the premium to 'keep the money at home' and actually allow someone to earn a living wage to build the things I buy.
 
Matters not to me. My last Jeep was assembled in Mexico and my Chevy truck in Canada. My Nissan was assembled in Tennessee. As long as a product is well designed, a Thai, Mexican, Canadian, Brit or anyone of any nationality can assemble a quality product given a good work place and respectful management.
 
Thread starter
This question was raised recently in the UK when it was learned that the new Bonnevilles were to be made in Thailand. I think it is very easy to assume something sinister behind the question but I don't think this is true. One question which is to be asked is, "are we merely buying a bike or are we buying into a brand"? My main concern is the machinery but the brand also has some influence. If I were to buy a Harley I would be disappointed if it was made in the UK. Some of the romance would disappear from the product. I would prefer my Honda to be made in Japan as this would cement the bike with the nation and with its history. The new Triumphs were almost universally accepted when Mr Bloor bought the name nearly thirty years ago and some of this acceptance must be put down to the sympathetic approach to the brand but also to the fact that the new factory was close to the original and employed some of the original workers and their families. I feel national pride has a role to play here together with a desire to cling to motorcycling heritage.
 
I guess in the age of the multi national it is inevitable that "national pride" may be bruised. After all if the Holden is not made in Australia, by Australians, for Australian conditions, how can it be considered our "national car"? This thinking prevailed here, and perhaps still prevails, despite the fact that GMH was the parent company. But GMH couldn't stand the pain any more so our Holdens are now made elsewhere. Pride hurt? Yes. But sinister? No. Unless an element of parochialism is injected. And, sadly, it often is.

What do I get when I buy a new Mini Cooper? Multi-national vehicle I suppose. A long way from Coventry.

Cheers
 
Like Paulb, I am glad my CB was made in Japan as it just seems that it should be, as was my 2003 Bonnie made in England as it seems it should be, however "made" is probably the wrong choice of words..ASSEMBLED would be the correct term and all of them are assembled from parts manufactured all over the world, including my Japanese CB.
 
The Ural was entirely made in Russia for decades and when the Cold War ended they decided to try to sell it here. The bike sold very poorly until they upgraded to Brembo brakes, Japanese carbs and electrics. Now they are a fairly, if not noisy, reliable bike.
 
National pride aside, I'm not sure I'd prefer someone who built Triumphs at the old Meriden plant in the 70's and early 80's, during the labor strife, to build me a bike today. A bike assembled with globally-sourced components on a modern, quality-controlled, computerized Thai production line is fine with me. It wouldn't diminish my ownership experience.
 
I know some facts about Goldwings.

The second to last models were made (assembled) in the States, yet its Honda wich is Japanese, but for some reason, a Goldwing made in the USA doesn't sound wrong at all.

But now, the last generation GW, are made back in Japan.

Its a bit like Acura, why does Honda wanna rebadge some products for certain markets is beyond me.
Somehow their sales department thinks products under the Honda name or badge won't sell as good as Acura.
Personally, the name "Honda NSX" inspires more appeal than the name Acura NSX.
 
Thread starter
Riko_imp said:
I know some facts about Goldwings.

The second to last models were made (assembled) in the States, yet its Honda wich is Japanese, but for some reason, a Goldwing made in the USA doesn't sound wrong at all.

But now, the last generation GW, are made back in Japan.

Its a bit like Acura, why does Honda wanna rebadge some products for certain markets is beyond me.
Somehow their sales department thinks products under the Honda name or badge won't sell as good as Acura.
Personally, the name "Honda NSX" inspires more appeal than the name Acura NSX.
As I understand the Goldwing production, Honda knew that the US would be the biggest marketplace for this bike and thought that it would be better accepted if they produced it in the States. I think we have to remember that a generation ago attitudes to foreign products were not as liberal as they are today. It is only in relatively recent years that companies have adopted global production methods and this has made their products more generally accepted.
 
It mattered more years ago, today not so much. Buying a Honda, Acura or motorcycles I would always look for the SN# starting with J.

Certain models of Honda and Acura are made in Ohio, Indiana and Alabama which I suppose keeps transport and tariffs down to the end customer. I have no issue with vehicles Made in the USA
 
It matters to me. Do not wish to buy a bike or other goods whenever possible from a country that pollutes as much as the People's Republic China; practiced/practices democide and still has the same type of government in power that allows/allowed it to happen (N. Korea, PRC, Vietnam, Cambodia, Pakistan to name a few); or from a country that supports terrorism like Iran; bullies it's neighbors like Russia in the Ukraine, or PRC in the Western Philippine Sea/South China Sea. I don't want my money going into the pockets of extremely corrupt governments who have little to no regard for people and the environment.
 
Wow I'm not sure you can buy products from anywhere if you are going to exclude countries with corrupt governments :rofl:

Guess it depends on your definition of corrupt, but we are not going to get into politics here, will just take your statement at face value.
 
I guess a lot of us have brand loyalties - vehicles, bikes, beers, jeans. I'm conscious of where something is produced and profess to prefer local and US made but honestly when I walk through my house it is truly an international experience.

Anyone own or ride a Chineese motorcycle?
 
My CBF was built in Atessa, Italy.

I think, the idea of producing in countries, where many consumers reside, is also, to overcome import restrictions and foreign trade deficit. At least, that are the reasons, why German car manufacturers produce in USA and Brasilia.
 
Back
Top