Corbin seat, test rides, Guzzis and stuff

Cresty_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
I no longer have a need for my Corbin seat. Purchased it for my 2014 CB1100 a couple of years ago and only used it one summer. Like new condition, a must have for the CB1100.

**SOLD**
 
Cresty, if the Corbin is a 'must have' why are you getting rid of it? Sold your CB?
 
Thread starter
Cormanus_imp said:
Cresty, if the Corbin is a 'must have' why are you getting rid of it? Sold your CB?
Yes I did and the first two responses were form Dealerships, strange don' t you think. The Honda Dealership that purchased it, told me my bike would sell their 17 models CB1100. They said to sell this bike all you have to do is get customers to ride them. That's where the used CB1100 comes in and keeps them off the 17 model. After the test ride the customer is excited until they find out the used bike will require money down. Then the 17 model can be purchased no money down on some special deal through Honda I guess. An other CB1100 on the road, but they have a hard time keeping a used CB1100 in house. I just finished restoring a 81 CB650C and also have a 73 CB350F, love those 4 bangers. Still need to sell my Corbin seat, too much work to fit it to my other bikes.
 
What a curious thing. I confess I still can't figure out why it's so hard to get a test ride in the USA.

I was going to ask for pictures of the other bikes, but I see you're having trouble.
 
When you take a test drive you probably start out gently. But it isn't long before you twist the throttle to see what it will do. Not a problem for the dealer with a older bike that is well broken in. But a brand new motorcycle not so much.

You take a test drive and decide to buy that model. But you don't want to pay full price for the one with 2000 miles on it that you know has been ridden hard by everyone who test rode it.
 
Nortoon_imp said:
When you take a test drive you probably start out gently. But it isn't long before you twist the throttle to see what it will do. Not a problem for the dealer with a older bike that is well broken in. But a brand new motorcycle not so much.

You take a test drive and decide to buy that model. But you don't want to pay full price for the one with 2000 miles on it that you know has been ridden hard by everyone who test rode it.
Nothing like hard test riding a showroom bike with 14 kms on it.

Bah, Honda can likely take it? :-/
 
I pulled up at my Honda dealer on a Moto Guzzi and looked at a 2013 on the showroom floor. Sales manager and I talked for a few minutes and then I think he suggested I take it for a ride. I did. Two days later I called and asked if they had one in a crate. He said they had two. I asked what the VIN numbers were and picked Vin # 00021. This particular Honda dealer would let me ride anything in the dealership. A lot has to do with first impressions and how you present. I don’t think he would do that for a 19 year wearing frayed jeans, a rap concert t- Shirt and baseball cap on sideways with the price tag dangling off it (if that‘s even still in vogue). But, I could be wrong.
 
The BMW / Triumph dealer here has a large demo fleet and will let you ride anything you like. They're almost too pushy. I've not seen this level of accommodation from dealers who sell the Japanese brands.
 
I once walked into a Moto Guzzi dealer and the sales guy threw me the keys to the Griso for a test ride. No paperwork, just go.
 
Gold...the salesman had to act fast before you came to your senses. When I was down @ the multi brand dealer that handled Moto Guzzi looking at the MG V7R they had a used one on the lot. I took it for a ride and came back and asked the salesman if they had a new one. He said he THINKs they do. I said "I'll take it if you have one". He was somewhat caught off guard and blurted out "YOU WILL???". Hard to sell a 50HP air cooled bike that's sitting next to Ducati's and BMW's and costs almost what they do. Anyway, they had one new one in a crate they put together for me a couple of days later and while the tech was bringing it back to the dealership he crashed it entering their parking lot. I had to wait another 6 weeks before they had one available to be shipped to the dealer. Wasn't too happy about that.

Many of the MG faithful dislike this bike. They hate the chrome tank. They REALLY hate the Racer designation. They REALLY, REALLY hate that the Racer designation is on a 50HP bike. They REALLY, REALLY, REALLY hate the number plates......Me, I loved it from the moment I saw it...I make no bones about it...it was an emotional purchase. My plan was to mothball it once I decided to stop riding, drain the fluids, and haul it down into the basement into the den as an object de art. That may not happen now as every time my youngest daughter (who rides a Sportster) shows up in the garage she asks "when can I pick up my Racer?". The bad thing is she's serious.

c4ae586c38b2dd1cdae5169e6d195f89.jpg
 
Frulk_imp said:
Gold...the salesman had to act fast before you came to your senses. When I was down @ the multi brand dealer that handled Moto Guzzi looking at the MG V7R they had a used one on the lot. I took it for a ride and came back and asked the salesman if they had a new one. He said he THINKs they do. I said "I'll take it if you have one". He was somewhat caught off guard and blurted out "YOU WILL???". Hard to sell a 50HP air cooled bike that's sitting next to Ducati's and BMW's and costs almost what they do. Anyway, they had one new one in a crate they put together for me a couple of days later and while the tech was bringing it back to the dealership he crashed it entering their parking lot. I had to wait another 6 weeks before they had one available to be shipped to the dealer. Wasn't too happy about that.

Many of the MG faithful dislike this bike. They hate the chrome tank. They REALLY hate the Racer designation. They REALLY, REALLY hate that the Racer designation is on a 50HP bike. They REALLY, REALLY, REALLY hate the number plates......Me, I loved it from the moment I saw it...I make no bones about it...it was an emotional purchase. My plan was to mothball it once I decided to stop riding, drain the fluids, and haul it down into the basement into the den as an object de art. That may not happen now as every time my youngest daughter (who rides a Sportster) shows up in the garage she asks "when can I pick up my Racer?". The bad thing is she's serious.

c4ae586c38b2dd1cdae5169e6d195f89.jpg
I was wondering the other day how often that happens. Even when you bring the bike for service and they take it for an evaluation ride. Probably happens more often than you think because they're riding all sorts of different bikes.
 
Frulk, great story! Frustrating for sure, but kinda funny.

My BMW dealer had to eat a new fairing panel and crankcase cover when his tech lost control of the fuel line on my K1200RS and sprayed gas all over the bike, ruining the finish on those two components.
 
Frulk_imp said:
Gold...the salesman had to act fast before you came to your senses. When I was down @ the multi brand dealer that handled Moto Guzzi looking at the MG V7R they had a used one on the lot. I took it for a ride and came back and asked the salesman if they had a new one. He said he THINKs they do. I said "I'll take it if you have one". He was somewhat caught off guard and blurted out "YOU WILL???". Hard to sell a 50HP air cooled bike that's sitting next to Ducati's and BMW's and costs almost what they do. Anyway, they had one new one in a crate they put together for me a couple of days later and while the tech was bringing it back to the dealership he crashed it entering their parking lot. I had to wait another 6 weeks before they had one available to be shipped to the dealer. Wasn't too happy about that.

Many of the MG faithful dislike this bike. They hate the chrome tank. They REALLY hate the Racer designation. They REALLY, REALLY hate that the Racer designation is on a 50HP bike. They REALLY, REALLY, REALLY hate the number plates......Me, I loved it from the moment I saw it...I make no bones about it...it was an emotional purchase. My plan was to mothball it once I decided to stop riding, drain the fluids, and haul it down into the basement into the den as an object de art. That may not happen now as every time my youngest daughter (who rides a Sportster) shows up in the garage she asks "when can I pick up my Racer?". The bad thing is she's serious.

c4ae586c38b2dd1cdae5169e6d195f89.jpg
The chrome graphic V7 was heavily available in Canada for a few years. The chrome tank is unique. In regards to the racer fashion, it is very Euro and I suppose very popular over there. I thought they were supposed to be "limited edition", yet, I saw them in every showroom - sometimes two or three of them at a time.

I understand making it a basement bar center piece. But that wouldn't do it justice. It is a classic. It needs to be free like anything else with two wheels and a motor between the knees. Your daughter will likely adopt it. It is hip.

- - -

Man that is a nice snow-capped mountain back drop.
 
Frulk-I love your Guzzi. Many moons ago when I was in school in DC I bought a used 1975 Guzzi 850T with a Vesco Rabid Transit fairing. The bike and fairing had been painted with silver Imron paint with red pinstriping. When I graduated I moved to Atlanta and that bike saw many miles on the roads of North Georgia. My biggest problem with Guzzi in recent years is the lousy dealer network. When I last checked, there was not a Guzzi dealer in the State of Ohio.
 
apex1_imp said:
Frulk-I love your Guzzi. Many moons ago when I was in school in DC I bought a used 1975 Guzzi 850T with a Vesco Rabid Transit fairing. The bike and fairing had been painted with silver Imron paint with red pinstriping. When I graduated I moved to Atlanta and that bike saw many miles on the roads of North Georgia. My biggest problem with Guzzi in recent years is the lousy dealer network. When I last checked, there was not a Guzzi dealer in the State of Ohio.
(+1) I'd be a Griso owner today (vs. a CB1100) if I decided I could live with the weak dealer network.
 
I was a couple years late to the dance on the green Tenni Griso. I sat on the Red and Black one at the dealer with the motor running but never rode it. The green Tenni Griso was SUPPOSED to be in the spot in the garage the CB currently sits in. In retrospect, it all worked out.
 
Frulk_imp said:
I was a couple years late to the dance on the green Tenni Griso. I sat on the Red and Black one at the dealer with the motor running but never rode it. The green Tenni Griso was SUPPOSED to be in the spot in the garage the CB currently sits in. In retrospect, it all worked out.
(+1) Green Tenni Griso, brown saddle.
(+1) CB100.

No complaints on the outcome too.
 
Thread starter
Cormanus_imp said:
What a curious thing. I confess I still can't figure out why it's so hard to get a test ride in the USA.

I was going to ask for pictures of the other bikes, but I see you're having trouble.
I now wonder if I sold my CB1100 to cheap. It had 5168 miles and the only accessory on it was the Honda engine guard's, no damage and real clean. I just didn't want to put up with the tire kickers with no money wanting to ride it. Not many other CB1100 in Idaho to compare to. You tell me if I let it go to cheap. Dealer paid $5,500. Enjoyed being with the forum, but now off to the CB650C & CB350F sites.
 
I think you did OK on that. We've had members struggle to sell some nicely appointed CB's with less or comparable miles at a price point below your's at $5,500. My local area currently has some CB's for sale that have been on KSL for a looooooong time at prices above what you got.

For instance:

This bike has been for sale for a while:

https://classifieds.ksl.com/listing/55406724

Same with these two. They have been for sale for months and months: Click on the Harley motor for pics of the CB's.

https://classifieds.ksl.com/listing/55496091

Same with this. Been listed for months:

https://classifieds.ksl.com/listing/55615154

This I think is relatively new:

https://classifieds.ksl.com/listing/55049590

We've discussed the issue of used CB prices many times before . At these prices, considering what they went for new, the CB's are one of the BARGAINS of the used motorcycle market for what you get in return.
 
Now I get to delete the whole thread!

Cresty, I agree with Frulk. I don't think you sold the bike too cheaply.
 
Back
Top