Considering 2013... should I keep looking for 2014?

colbrt_imp

New to the forum
Thread starter
New member, old rider here. :)

Let's start this off by saying, I want a red one. To me, there's just something about those Honda candy colors, and I've owned too many black bikes through the years.

Considering trading my Versys on a nice used 2013. (Yes, they are very different bikes, it's just time for something else.) I know there were some changes made on the 2014 deluxe model that sound rather appealing to me (except I think I prefer the 4-into-1, reminds me of my 400F a bit.) My riding is primarily PA backroads; 45-55 mph stuff... if I'm doing highway, it's just a way to get to work or between the roads I want to be on (or to get home before dark.) I know it's a personal decision, but, was the '14 really that much better?

My other bike right now is a CTX700. Don't hate me, it's DCT. :)
 
Having had both, I think it really just depends on the condition of used bike you will find. Since your riding is below highway speed, the 6th gear won’t make that big of a difference to you.
 
A decent '13 will likely be easier to find than a '14dlx, and the price of the latter will probably be 1-2k more than a '13 for bikes in similar condition and miles.
 
I've had both a 2013 and a 2017. There is nothing wrong with the 2013 model. I racked up 52k miles in mine between commuting and cross country trips. It handled all of it well.
 
I've owned both a 2013 and 2014. I typically ride on two lane roads at 55 mph and so the sixth gear of the 2014 isn't the huge advantage I thought it would be. I also like the red better. But both bikes are great!
 
Colbrt, I ride a 2013 and most of my riding is on the backroads. I've also done the interstate from Arizona to Oregon with no problem. Honda tuned this motor for the mid range where we ride. Just twist the fun control and away you go with a big grin on your face! For me, 5 speeds is just right. Good luck on your search.
 
I used to commute on the freeway on my 2013 and there is no issue on the freeway. I have no clue why people get so hung up on having a 6th gear. This bike has a ton of torque and is not laboring AT ALL (even with my big butt on it).
 
The sixth gear on the 2014-and-newer CB1100s has nothing to do with preventing the motor from laboring. It's in overdrive gear. Its sole purpose is to reduce the RPM and make for a smoother, less buzzy ride at highway speeds. As such, it's a fantastic addition. The bike and overall ride experience only benefit from having that extra gear.
 
VLJ_imp said:
The sixth gear on the 2014-and-newer CB1100s has nothing to do with preventing the motor from laboring. It's in overdrive gear. Its sole purpose is to reduce the RPM and make for a smoother, less buzzy ride at highway speeds. As such, it's a fantastic addition. The bike and overall ride experience only benefit from having that extra gear.
++++++1^^^^ :clap:
 
I sold a BMW 1200 with a six speed and bought a ‘13 CB. I ride at all speeds, and have to make a sprint of 80 mph or greater in a few spots on my commute to cross over all lanes of a wide freeway in a short distance, and have no regrets. The bike is very well composed in all conditions.

As others have mentioned, a ‘13 will typically be cheaper than later models. In my case, budget was the main limiting factor, as I couldn’t add more cash from the proceeds of the sale of my ‘07 BMW. I was able to pick up a 1700 mile ‘13 CB after waiting a short while when it popped up.

Very happy with my choice.
 
colbrt_imp said:
New member, old rider here. :)

Let's start this off by saying, I want a red one. To me, there's just something about those Honda candy colors, and I've owned too many black bikes through the years.

Considering trading my Versys on a nice used 2013. (Yes, they are very different bikes, it's just time for something else.) I know there were some changes made on the 2014 deluxe model that sound rather appealing to me (except I think I prefer the 4-into-1, reminds me of my 400F a bit.) My riding is primarily PA backroads; 45-55 mph stuff... if I'm doing highway, it's just a way to get to work or between the roads I want to be on (or to get home before dark.) I know it's a personal decision, but, was the '14 really that much better?

My other bike right now is a CTX700. Don't hate me, it's DCT. :)
Welcome aboard the Forum colbrt. No problem with the DCT. I have the '14 CB1100 4-into-1 and the NC750XD. The two Hondas complement each other and both are wonderful for much different reasons. I almost got a '18 Versys 650 LT, so we think alike it appears. You will really like the CB1100. Almost as important, when not elsewhere, you will be here.
 
I have a red '13 and a black '14. Since the '14 does not have a squeaky clean title it makes more sense to sell the '13 and keep the '14.

I prefer the red one but I must admit I do like the 6th gear and the gear indicator. If I had clean titles on both bikes I'd keep the red one (the black one has shiny black engine bits - you know what a pain it is to keep them looking good).

I have not listed it yet 'cause I'm shuffling my feet - and lazy. :D
 
I had a 13 and bought a 14 dlx. No problem at all with the 13 and 5 speed, but I love my dlx with 6 speed and gear indicator and chrome head pipes and dual mufflers and ABS, and color matched side covers, and silver engine and wheels, and bigger tank, etc ......
 
And just in case some don't know, a GiPro gear indicator can be added to a 2013 bike very easily. Plug and play.
 
I rode a bike with a gear indicator for years, and still kept kicking up for the next one after I hit six.
 
colbrt_imp said:
New member, old rider here. :)

Let's start this off by saying, I want a red one. To me, there's just something about those Honda candy colors, and I've owned too many black bikes through the years.

Considering trading my Versys on a nice used 2013. (Yes, they are very different bikes, it's just time for something else.) I know there were some changes made on the 2014 deluxe model that sound rather appealing to me (except I think I prefer the 4-into-1, reminds me of my 400F a bit.) My riding is primarily PA backroads; 45-55 mph stuff... if I'm doing highway, it's just a way to get to work or between the roads I want to be on (or to get home before dark.) I know it's a personal decision, but, was the '14 really that much better?

My other bike right now is a CTX700. Don't hate me, it's DCT. :)
I looked for a long time and even test road a 2014 Black CB1100 but I too just had to have a RED one. 2014 Deluxe's are hard to find used, I watched one nearby that seller was asking $7,900 with only 3k miles, but could not justify the price to age since no warranty was left.

In the end I recently lucked out on my 2013 Red CB for less than half the above price and only 1800 original miles. Spent $100 to replace a few cosmetic items (scratches and light rust) and she looks almost brand new.

Yes 6 gears was an improvement for distance between fill ups and the silver engine looks good as well, but there are lots of 2014's in black for sale as well as 2013's in Red.

Take your time, find the right seller, and either year will not disappoint!:biker:
 
On a slightly subtler note Guth myself and others seem to prefer the slimmer looking red tank on the "13, it has less capacity but i would not trade that for the bigger version, i did add some chrome edging to the seems as others have done and think it has improved the looks, it seems more "clothed" to me if that makes sense and i generally get 250 km out of it as opposed to 350 km on my old cb550 with the same relaxed riding style.
My cb919 has six gears and when i come to a stop it's click click, click, etc., not so much with the "13, you get the idea; welcome to the forum.
 
I bought my '14 five years ago, and the dealer had a '13 still unsold which was quite a bit cheaper. I picked the '14 because of the sixth gear, and as much as I love the looks of this model, and still get compliments, I really think Honda nailed it with the '13 in terms of classic UJM styling and color scheme. It's still a beauty.
 
Back
Top