Complete list of retro bikes

peterbaron_imp said:
Nortoon_imp said:
postoak_imp said:
Well, as I said, for my purposes, something vaguely resembling a UJM street standard. From the period of late '60s to mid-late '70s. My salad days. The angular look of the late '70s and '80s doesn't qualify. Nothing with a foot-forward position would qualify.
Anything with a motocross rear end with no fender does not qualify. Dual shocks and chrome mufflers are a must, unless it is a single cylinder motor.
Agree
Agree
(+1) Keep it fundamental to the original spirit.
 
Stichill_imp said:
Carburetors required, or no?
I reckon "retro" would accommodate injection, but yes, I understand your reason for asking.

It appears many use faux carbs in there injection integration solution.
 
Thread starter
I would also eliminate mini-bikes, boutique bikes, 2 cycle engine bikes, plus bikes that won't cruise at 70 mph.

I haven't applied all of the disqualifiers mentioned but here is the list I have:

BMW R nineT Pure

Honda CB1100

Kawasaki W800
Kawasaki Z900RS

Moto Guzzi V7
Moto Guzzi V9

Royal Enfield Inteceptor 650

Suzuki TU250x

Triumph Bonneville 100
Triumph Bonneville 120
Triumph Street Twin
Triumph Speed Twin

Yamaha SR400
Yamaha XSR 700
Yamaha XSR 900
 
baxtercat_imp said:
updated version of the Kawa W800 just announced at the Tokyo show. coming to US
I like that.
 
EmptySea_imp said:
Interesting thread. If you keep adding specific disqualifiers, you’ll narrow the list to zero. Lol.
You are right Sea. The only thing that has not been totally disqualified yet is a Retro of the Honda Kick N Go:
5c0e1e4433b362c5b375029a6a55e09f.jpg


It is not water-cooled, a scrambler, EFI, 2-cycle, nor have electronic ignition, etc.

It will maintain 70 mph plus after riding off a cliff.
 
postoak_imp said:
I would also eliminate mini-bikes, boutique bikes, 2 cycle engine bikes, plus bikes that won't cruise at 70 mph.

I haven't applied all of the disqualifiers mentioned but here is the list I have:

BMW R nineT Pure

Honda CB1100

Kawasaki W800
Kawasaki Z900RS

Moto Guzzi V7
Moto Guzzi V9

Royal Enfield Inteceptor 650

Suzuki TU250x

Triumph Bonneville 100
Triumph Bonneville 120
Triumph Street Twin
Triumph Speed Twin

Yamaha SR400
Yamaha XSR 700
Yamaha XSR 900
Good list...Will these 2 cruise at 70mph? I suppose they will, but I bet the experience is substantially different on them. Having said that, I wouldn't mind having either, or both.
 
My only gripe with the W800 is if I'm paying $$ for 800cc and paying premium insurance for a bike over 750cc, I want it to have more power than my cousins 1983 CB450. It doesn't and weighs 80 lbs more too.
 
within any such list we could distinguish between "retro appearance" features and "retro performance" or function elements. The Kawa Z900 RS or the new BMW /5 lean towards the appearance side--their functionality and performance are much like that of the Z900 and RnineT engines/platform just under the skin. Most of the "retro" there is in the paint job and cosmetics. Air-cooled engines and twin shocks look retro but, more important, they are functionally old-fashion technology--one pays a certain price in performance for a bike that is retro inside and out. So the question becomes, do you want a bike that looks kinda retro, or one that reminds you of the sounds and sensations of operating a vintage bike--the experience of kickstarting, or the pings of an engine cooling down, or simply riding without electronic traction aids and digital display screens. Some will complain about spending money on a new bike that does not have the same power as some other bike, but it seems to me that those looking for a retro experience might prefer a bike that both looks and rides somewhat like an old bike, but without the upkeep and safety compromises of owning an actual vintage machine. Is carb maintenance worth carb authenticity--using a choke, tickling etc? would anyone still want a 6 volt system or drum brakes? the interesting category is when function and looks intersect--LED headlights, for instance, or spoked wheels with tubes. For some, "cruising at 70" will not be a particularly retro qualifier, but on today's highways maybe a practical one.
 
"Retro" to me implies "in the spirit of the original" - enough so to illicit common emotions associated with the original, but without many of the burdens.
 
Back
Top