commuting with laptop

jtopiso_imp

Been there
Thread starter
Hi all,

does anybody know of any laptop bag/backpack with some kind of quick-release system so I can fix it to the bike for commuting, and take it off without much hassle?

I don't like the look of pannier or trunks. I have a rackbar, but straping the laptop everytime is not the most convenient way. Using a backpack is currently the best option in terms of time (short commute), but it's not the safest or most confortable.

Ideas?

Thanks!
 
While you are searching loosen the straps on the backpack so that when you are sitting on the bike the backpack weight is taken by the seat instead of the shoulders. You should look for a decent size tailbag such as the Kriega US-20 DRYPACK, the straps on that don't look too complicated to put on/take off.
 
Kreiga makes a good commuter pack.
If you want one cheaper but as good you can check Ogio. I use an Ogio No Drag.Nothing gets wet even at high speeds. If you research them you'll see why.
 
I have an Oxford tailbag, it has a zipper and strap release system which leave you with a backpack in hand, and the bottom to which you zip and strap stays on the bike. I think 14" laptop would be the biggest you can put in tho, although they might have other sizes. This one can be expanded too if you have more stuff
53cd4514a23397b5c653c9e9249adafe.jpg


'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
 
Thread starter
tod.branko_imp said:
I have an Oxford tailbag, it has a zipper and strap release system which leave you with a backpack in hand, and the bottom to which you zip and strap stays on the bike. I think 14" laptop would be the biggest you can put in tho, although they might have other sizes. This one can be expanded too if you have more stuff
53cd4514a23397b5c653c9e9249adafe.jpg


'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
Interesting!

Can you show a picture with what remains on the bike when the rest of the bag is unziped from?
 
jtopiso_imp said:
tod.branko_imp said:
I have an Oxford tailbag, it has a zipper and strap release system which leave you with a backpack in hand, and the bottom to which you zip and strap stays on the bike. I think 14" laptop would be the biggest you can put in tho, although they might have other sizes. This one can be expanded too if you have more stuff
53cd4514a23397b5c653c9e9249adafe.jpg


'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
Interesting!

Can you show a picture with what remains on the bike when the rest of the bag is unziped from?
Interesting!

Can you show a picture with what remains on the bike when the rest of the bag is unziped from? This is what stays on the seat, sorry for the low quality photo, it's the only one I have at the moment
db19e264e48a1ce4c1a3e0e4f90b45d5.jpg


'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
 
@Tod
That's pretty cool. How does this thang behave when loaded up - in particular on top ? Does it sit solid in its place, or does it tend to lean left or right, and needs to be loaded with care ?
 
When I had my R1 in college, I considered getting one of these hard-shell backpacks

OGIO No Drag Mach 5 Backpack - RevZilla

Ultimately decided against it since it sort of looked like a turtle shell on a human, and I also had a hard laptop case for my old Macbook air.

Not sure what the safety ratings and/or claimed protection are on it's current iteration(there's been a few of them over the years) But may be worth checking your local CL for a used one if the price is too steep.

I now own a rugged, everlasting, and waterproof bag that is also expandable

https://missionworkshop.com/collections/backpacks/products/the-vandal?variant=32846516256877

I'm pretty sure the material would work just as well if not better than the average textile jacket in terms of road rash/abrasions protection. Impact, However, not so much being that it has no real solid padding/armor. But then again it's not a dedicated riding bag, it's an uber-versatile adventure bag that does many things very well, serving as a riding backpack is one of them, for me anyway.
 
Thread starter
tod.branko_imp said:
jtopiso_imp said:
tod.branko_imp said:
I have an Oxford tailbag, it has a zipper and strap release system which leave you with a backpack in hand, and the bottom to which you zip and strap stays on the bike. I think 14" laptop would be the biggest you can put in tho, although they might have other sizes. This one can be expanded too if you have more stuff
53cd4514a23397b5c653c9e9249adafe.jpg


'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
Interesting!

Can you show a picture with what remains on the bike when the rest of the bag is unziped from?
Interesting!

Can you show a picture with what remains on the bike when the rest of the bag is unziped from? This is what stays on the seat, sorry for the low quality photo, it's the only one I have at the moment
db19e264e48a1ce4c1a3e0e4f90b45d5.jpg


'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
This is what stays on the seat, sorry for the low quality photo, it's the only one I have at the moment

'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
Nice, thanks.

I like that concept. That's what I'd need, but with a much shorter bag, and wide enough for a 15" laptop.

If it doesn't exist, they should make it!

If I find something, I will post it here.
 
Bolt 1 of the harbor freight pelican cases on the rear rack and call it a day. They come with the pull foam blocks inside so you can make as much space as you want for your laptop. Or remove the. Entirely like I did and put your bag in there.

And with the quick detach knob heads, you un screw 4 bolts by hand and the box is off for the weekend twisties if you want.

I have the 4800 model and I can fit a 17 inch laptop among more. If you only have a 15 inch the 3800 might work for you its a little smaller of a box.

You can get the 4800 for 50$ and the 3800 for 30 i believe. Plus a few bolts and washers. I just did a write up on it.

These are way more sleek and rugged than traditional top boxes. And you can lock them just the same. Also, the box will keep that laptop protected through just about anything.
7a2eb08394b6e34113498e76f3324b82.jpg
592287a0800c7775cc89b3bc0fc582e2.jpg


Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
For reference my 17 inch laptop with 2 of the 4 foam blocks the box comes with.
9b6e73eee66ae9c84f0b4782b7d6302c.jpg


Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
 
One of the major pluses of that box is the foam that comes with it. Top boxes bounce things around like few other things I can think of. Being able to pack them in place with foam seems really handy to me.
 
Thread starter
mvk24_imp said:
Bolt 1 of the harbor freight pelican cases on the rear rack and call it a day. They come with the pull foam blocks inside so you can make as much space as you want for your laptop. Or remove the. Entirely like I did and put your bag in there.

And with the quick detach knob heads, you un screw 4 bolts by hand and the box is off for the weekend twisties if you want.

I have the 4800 model and I can fit a 17 inch laptop among more. If you only have a 15 inch the 3800 might work for you its a little smaller of a box.

You can get the 4800 for 50$ and the 3800 for 30 i believe. Plus a few bolts and washers. I just did a write up on it.

These are way more sleek and rugged than traditional top boxes. And you can lock them just the same. Also, the box will keep that laptop protected through just about anything.
7a2eb08394b6e34113498e76f3324b82.jpg
592287a0800c7775cc89b3bc0fc582e2.jpg


Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
For reference my 17 inch laptop with 2 of the 4 foam blocks the box comes with.
9b6e73eee66ae9c84f0b4782b7d6302c.jpg


Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
That's a nice solution.
I don't like much the idea of having that box fixed to the bike, but perhaps this is the most practical solution.
 
jtopiso_imp said:
mvk24_imp said:
Bolt 1 of the harbor freight pelican cases on the rear rack and call it a day. They come with the pull foam blocks inside so you can make as much space as you want for your laptop. Or remove the. Entirely like I did and put your bag in there.

And with the quick detach knob heads, you un screw 4 bolts by hand and the box is off for the weekend twisties if you want.

I have the 4800 model and I can fit a 17 inch laptop among more. If you only have a 15 inch the 3800 might work for you its a little smaller of a box.

You can get the 4800 for 50$ and the 3800 for 30 i believe. Plus a few bolts and washers. I just did a write up on it.

These are way more sleek and rugged than traditional top boxes. And you can lock them just the same. Also, the box will keep that laptop protected through just about anything.
7a2eb08394b6e34113498e76f3324b82.jpg
592287a0800c7775cc89b3bc0fc582e2.jpg


Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
For reference my 17 inch laptop with 2 of the 4 foam blocks the box comes with.
9b6e73eee66ae9c84f0b4782b7d6302c.jpg


Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
That's a nice solution.
I don't like much the idea of having that box fixed to the bike, but perhaps this is the most practical solution.
That's a nice solution.
I don't like much the idea of having that box fixed to the bike, but perhaps this is the most practical solution. If you do it the way I did it comes off very easily and quickly.

4 bolts, no tools

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
 
Hmm... that's quite an elegant solution, mk24... thumb screws and it's off. Pretty cool!
 
Thread starter
mvk24_imp said:
jtopiso_imp said:
mvk24_imp said:
Bolt 1 of the harbor freight pelican cases on the rear rack and call it a day. They come with the pull foam blocks inside so you can make as much space as you want for your laptop. Or remove the. Entirely like I did and put your bag in there.

And with the quick detach knob heads, you un screw 4 bolts by hand and the box is off for the weekend twisties if you want.

I have the 4800 model and I can fit a 17 inch laptop among more. If you only have a 15 inch the 3800 might work for you its a little smaller of a box.

You can get the 4800 for 50$ and the 3800 for 30 i believe. Plus a few bolts and washers. I just did a write up on it.

These are way more sleek and rugged than traditional top boxes. And you can lock them just the same. Also, the box will keep that laptop protected through just about anything.
7a2eb08394b6e34113498e76f3324b82.jpg
592287a0800c7775cc89b3bc0fc582e2.jpg


Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
For reference my 17 inch laptop with 2 of the 4 foam blocks the box comes with.
9b6e73eee66ae9c84f0b4782b7d6302c.jpg


Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
That's a nice solution.
I don't like much the idea of having that box fixed to the bike, but perhaps this is the most practical solution.
That's a nice solution.
I don't like much the idea of having that box fixed to the bike, but perhaps this is the most practical solution. If you do it the way I did it comes off very easily and quickly.

4 bolts, no tools

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
Yes, but what I am looking for is a small case or bag for the laptop that can be attached/quick-released from the bike, so if the laptop is off the bike, the "case" goes with it.

For now, I think I am taking the backpack route...
 
Not the cheapest route or a soft bag option, but for space and ease of quick-release, it's hard to beat Givi.

I have bigger boxes for shopping and trips, but the E36NA is my daily go-to-work box, and it's the smallest, cheapest Monokey top box they make. The pictures make it look bigger than it is, but it will hold a laptop and your lunch, no problem.

You'd need any type of rack, a Monokey mount plate, which would run about $60, and the E36 runs about $160 if you do your shopping.

You could go cheaper with one of their Monolock boxes as well.
 
jtopiso_imp said:
mvk24_imp said:
jtopiso_imp said:
mvk24_imp said:
Bolt 1 of the harbor freight pelican cases on the rear rack and call it a day. They come with the pull foam blocks inside so you can make as much space as you want for your laptop. Or remove the. Entirely like I did and put your bag in there.

And with the quick detach knob heads, you un screw 4 bolts by hand and the box is off for the weekend twisties if you want.

I have the 4800 model and I can fit a 17 inch laptop among more. If you only have a 15 inch the 3800 might work for you its a little smaller of a box.

You can get the 4800 for 50$ and the 3800 for 30 i believe. Plus a few bolts and washers. I just did a write up on it.

These are way more sleek and rugged than traditional top boxes. And you can lock them just the same. Also, the box will keep that laptop protected through just about anything.
7a2eb08394b6e34113498e76f3324b82.jpg
592287a0800c7775cc89b3bc0fc582e2.jpg


Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
For reference my 17 inch laptop with 2 of the 4 foam blocks the box comes with.
9b6e73eee66ae9c84f0b4782b7d6302c.jpg


Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
That's a nice solution.
I don't like much the idea of having that box fixed to the bike, but perhaps this is the most practical solution.
That's a nice solution.
I don't like much the idea of having that box fixed to the bike, but perhaps this is the most practical solution. If you do it the way I did it comes off very easily and quickly.

4 bolts, no tools

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
Yes, but what I am looking for is a small case or bag for the laptop that can be attached/quick-released from the bike, so if the laptop is off the bike, the "case" goes with it.

For now, I think I am taking the backpack route...
Yes, but what I am looking for is a small case or bag for the laptop that can be attached/quick-released from the bike, so if the laptop is off the bike, the "case" goes with it.

For now, I think I am taking the backpack route... Yes in that case a backpack sounds like it does the trick.

I have an LAPG 3 day pack for work and it can be snugged up slim if I only have my 17inch laptop in the main compartment. But the 2 large exterior pockets will hold everything you need. I keep my trauma kit and such in juwt the lower pocket at all times. If you were going away for a weekend you can easily fit clothes plus a helmet in it when you expand it. And of course you can modify it any way you like since it is Molle.

They run about 54$ on Amazon or LA police gears website for a little less plus shipping.

Really nice everyday bag so far. Here is the link. I have some clips on the molle so I can quickly attach my gloves, hat, etc on the bag too. Would be a great bike bag.

That bag + a bungee net and you are good to go my friend
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MZ9PXQV/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glc_fabc_MQ50FKQDT3DYC0BTSH4D?psc=1

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
 
Back
Top