Comet fairing

pittycheria_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Does the comet fairing work as a windshield ? Seems too small to make a difference . Anyone who has it can you please give me some feedback. I am 6 feet and own a 2017.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
the idea of a bucket style fairing isn't to be behind a windshield for protection per se. its to break up air flow..even a small shield will break it up enough to keep the body from being buffeted around on a straight naked bike.. the dangers/difficulty is that many wind up with redirected air flow at helmet level depending upon the fairing..

Every naked bike I've own gets at least a tiny headlight shield. I have found that in the rain without one, water seems to gather a lot faster in the crotch area, which is less than enjoyable
 
I'm 6 foot and had one on my 2013. Without it, on the highways I was fighting to not be pushed back in the seat. The wind was hitting me square in the chest. With it, I did not have that problem. You may still feel some air hit you higher up, but its more spread out I guess, and doesn't feel anywhere near as strong. I had a full face helmet so it didn't bother me, no head or neck buffeting, but with an open face, you may be annoyed.
 
+1 on what Honda Hawk Rider said. I'm amazed what a difference just this small aluminum fly screen makes

e9298d1c57f34ebb5d0a9833d89ac82c.jpg
 
Have one, good choice when you balance looks with comfort.
Definitely NOT a "Windjammer" touring comfort shield/wind screen but perfectly adequate for all the trips I've taken so far, no plans to replace.
 
Very happy with mine. I can ride at whatever speed I want to with no worry about fatigue. I used to commute 115 miles a day (round trip) and after an hour with no shield I was pretty wiped out. Once I put the shield on it was a whole new ballgame.
 
Thread starter
Thank you for all your feedback. I pulled the plug and got one. Was the installation easy ?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Real Easy. And once installed, can be taken on and off fast if the mounting adapters and lower bracket are left on.
 
Frulk_imp said:
+1 on what Honda Hawk Rider said. I'm amazed what a difference just this small aluminum fly screen makes

e9298d1c57f34ebb5d0a9833d89ac82c.jpg

I like how your bike is set up. I've been wanting to do it similar. What seat is that? What kind of bags? Do you have more pics you wouldn't mind me seeing?


2013 CB 1100
 
He has some cool levers and pegs too. And Dart headlight brackets. What is the story with your bar end weights Frulk?
 
Happy to oblige Downeck:

Almost all of the aftermarket parts were bought off forum members for some really good prices.

The levers and footpegs came from the same member. The levers are shorter than the OEM but just like them, allow for reach adjustment. At first I found them uncomfortable around my 4th finger which sits right on the knob at the end of the lever. For some reason that went away after 2-3 weeks of use and I'm pretty happy with them now.

The grips were sourced from Biltwell and my daughter bought them for me as I commented I liked the ones she put on her sportster. The middle of the grips are very beefy and fill the hand/palm areas nicely. I REALLY like their feel. YMMV.

The bar end weights also came from a member. They replaced the stock ones because the one on the right side got scratched up and ground down when the bike went down on black ice in Tincup Canyon (a few miles west of Freedom, Wyoming) last Nov. They're lighter than the stock versions but I like they build quality and look and the weight difference doesn't seem to affect vibe feedback through the bars at all. They kind of have a custom look with the knurling.

91d937aa671a8da5d6ae067fb35a95b7.jpg


The footpegs were sourced from the same member that sold me the levers. About $25 US. They have a wide range of adjustments and can go vertical up or down about 2 inches or so plus they can moved around the clock dial for fore and aft movement. Appear to be milled bar-stock Aluminum that have great surface grip. They also fold back via spring mounts. again. huge bang for the buck in looks and function for the money. I currently have them set as high as they go and back somewhat for a more aggressive/café style riding position.

af93d80dd3e5a55004cb2aa721acd735.jpg


The seat is a K&H Café version I picked up from member Lolo. He decided to go another way. K&H will buld the seat to your specs (weight and so forth) and this one was set up for Lolo who I think is a fair amount lighter than me. That being said I love this seat and can crank out long distance jaunts with 2 hours in the saddle no problems. I can't imagine what it would feel like if it was actually made for my weight. Attached to the rack by the seat is an air pump. I'm a retired competitive cyclist and can't break old habits.

147c42caa30e8f02eaa5460f32c935d7.jpg


Shown here are the RAM mount and charging cord running under the tank to the storage compartment where I have a portable charger that can bring an IPhone 7 back from dead to fully charged a total of 6 times. More than enough to meet my Phones GPS needs.

54fef3db3067725b8a6192e5f95d8daf.jpg


I have 2-3 tankbags and the one in the pic you posted asking for more pictures is the largest. It's a magnetic Nelson Rigg bag that fully extended is just monstrous. Comes with rain cover. I REALLY like that model because it has some cool features. The bag in the pic below is smaller but still good sized. Magnetic and made by Tourmaster it too has many features I like. Electric cord ports/see through map pocket and so forth. The only real difference between the two is size. Lastly, the soft luggage is Tourmaster as well. Good stuff for the price but storage in this version (not the largest made) is somewhat limited. I see many of our members run the straps over the seat but I prefer them under it. I keep the clips looped on the frame year round even when the bags aren't on the bike.

The 2013 VSCCB1100 Limited Edition #21 Tim Duncan tribute edition shown here in its natural habitat with Tourmaster tank bag.

10ba93342b81a0eb5ee62267996cbdb8.jpg


This pic is in profile of the bike resting at home shown the OEM rack that I purchased from a member for a song and a dance.

03c62187174b4028575b32db2bad0317.jpg


Compared to some of our regulars I've barely even touched the bike. My only real pending things are the color scheme. I've mentioned it before that I feel there's too much going on. Plans are to color match the fairing and side covers in the tanks red. That should really help to integrate the brown seat (which I really like). Beyond that I just plan to ride it relentlessly whenever I can throughout the American west.

This last pic has no relevance to the topic at hand. I just wanted to build up my ADV cred. 40 miles from a paved road in eastern Oregon.

da36d1ee00cb5d0650d03d975fa6ec63.jpg
 
Nice bike, Frulk. And great pictures. Yet more places I now want to ride.
 
Incredible view Frulk! What's there that makes someone want to make a road 40 miles in the middle of nowhere? Mining?
 
Popgun....Lot's of old farm and ranch roads out in eastern Oregon. This one leads to a small state park and camping area. Where the pic was taken was actually a well groomed cinder surface close to the park entrance. BUT...Leading up to it was 35 miles of washboards.
 
Frulk_imp said:
Happy to oblige Downeck:

Almost all of the aftermarket parts were bought off forum members for some really good prices.

The levers and footpegs came from the same member. The levers are shorter than the OEM but just like them, allow for reach adjustment. At first I found them uncomfortable around my 4th finger which sits right on the knob at the end of the lever. For some reason that went away after 2-3 weeks of use and I'm pretty happy with them now.

The grips were sourced from Biltwell and my daughter bought them for me as I commented I liked the ones she put on her sportster. The middle of the grips are very beefy and fill the hand/palm areas nicely. I REALLY like their feel. YMMV.

The bar end weights also came from a member. They replaced the stock ones because the one on the right side got scratched up and ground down when the bike went down on black ice in Tincup Canyon (a few miles west of Freedom, Wyoming) last Nov. They're lighter than the stock versions but I like they build quality and look and the weight difference doesn't seem to affect vibe feedback through the bars at all. They kind of have a custom look with the knurling.

91d937aa671a8da5d6ae067fb35a95b7.jpg


The footpegs were sourced from the same member that sold me the levers. About $25 US. They have a wide range of adjustments and can go vertical up or down about 2 inches or so plus they can moved around the clock dial for fore and aft movement. Appear to be milled bar-stock Aluminum that have great surface grip. They also fold back via spring mounts. again. huge bang for the buck in looks and function for the money. I currently have them set as high as they go and back somewhat for a more aggressive/café style riding position.

af93d80dd3e5a55004cb2aa721acd735.jpg


The seat is a K&H Café version I picked up from member Lolo. He decided to go another way. K&H will buld the seat to your specs (weight and so forth) and this one was set up for Lolo who I think is a fair amount lighter than me. That being said I love this seat and can crank out long distance jaunts with 2 hours in the saddle no problems. I can't imagine what it would feel like if it was actually made for my weight. Attached to the rack by the seat is an air pump. I'm a retired competitive cyclist and can't break old habits.

147c42caa30e8f02eaa5460f32c935d7.jpg


Shown here are the RAM mount and charging cord running under the tank to the storage compartment where I have a portable charger that can bring an IPhone 7 back from dead to fully charged a total of 6 times. More than enough to meet my Phones GPS needs.

54fef3db3067725b8a6192e5f95d8daf.jpg


I have 2-3 tankbags and the one in the pic you posted asking for more pictures is the largest. It's a magnetic Nelson Rigg bag that fully extended is just monstrous. Comes with rain cover. I REALLY like that model because it has some cool features. The bag in the pic below is smaller but still good sized. Magnetic and made by Tourmaster it too has many features I like. Electric cord ports/see through map pocket and so forth. The only real difference between the two is size. Lastly, the soft luggage is Tourmaster as well. Good stuff for the price but storage in this version (not the largest made) is somewhat limited. I see many of our members run the straps over the seat but I prefer them under it. I keep the clips looped on the frame year round even when the bags aren't on the bike.

The 2013 VSCCB1100 Limited Edition #21 Tim Duncan tribute edition shown here in its natural habitat with Tourmaster tank bag.

10ba93342b81a0eb5ee62267996cbdb8.jpg


This pic is in profile of the bike resting at home shown the OEM rack that I purchased from a member for a song and a dance.

03c62187174b4028575b32db2bad0317.jpg


Compared to some of our regulars I've barely even touched the bike. My only real pending things are the color scheme. I've mentioned it before that I feel there's too much going on. Plans are to color match the fairing and side covers in the tanks red. That should really help to integrate the brown seat (which I really like). Beyond that I just plan to ride it relentlessly whenever I can throughout the American west.

This last pic has no relevance to the topic at hand. I just wanted to build up my ADV cred. 40 miles from a paved road in eastern Oregon.

da36d1ee00cb5d0650d03d975fa6ec63.jpg
Spectacular. I want.
 
Back
Top