Color schemes

capz65_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Just joined. Been lovingly riding my 2014 1100 6 years. Tired of the all black so I'm looking into vinyl wrapping it. Love that it's cheap and professional looking if done right. As for colors what are the thoughts on bold, bright color schemes for our retro bikes? Stay conservative or anything goes? For instance, I love the look of the new Yamaha cyan storm scheme on the mt 07. Light grey and cyan. Think it'll fit with the CB?
 
Welcome to the forum, capz65.
 
Welcome Cap!!

Link to the Yamaha mentioned: 2026 MT-07 | Yamaha Motorsports USA

I don't care for the color but it is your bike and you should get what you want. Then post pics so we can see it! Cause we like pics here :)
 
I always said that if I were going to do a custom color scheme on a bike, I'd do a classic blue and orange Gulf livery. And hey, it's vinyl, so if you don't like, it, you can pull it off.
 
I guess if it was up to me, I would go for one of the most iconic colours of the CB750: the Flake Sunrise Orange. Absolutely stunning and it would look just as nice on a CB1100.

See this example (unfortunately not mine):

4727ff2cf64a910c7bbe44ba0559703f.jpg
 
bioman_imp said:
I guess if it was up to me, I would go for one of the most iconic colours of the CB750: the Flake Sunrise Orange. Absolutely stunning and it would look just as nice on a CB1100.

See this example (unfortunately not mine):

4727ff2cf64a910c7bbe44ba0559703f.jpg
I agree with that paint job but I'd say the Candy Teal just looks too good on our bike to pass up.

843ca3434e1fdfc781a2a3fcfcfedc56.jpg
 
capz65_imp said:
Just joined. Been lovingly riding my 2014 1100 6 years. Tired of the all black so I'm looking into vinyl wrapping it. Love that it's cheap and professional looking if done right. As for colors what are the thoughts on bold, bright color schemes for our retro bikes? Stay conservative or anything goes? For instance, I love the look of the new Yamaha cyan storm scheme on the mt 07. Light grey and cyan. Think it'll fit with the CB?
Will the wrap withstand the heat of the CB1100 air-cooled mill while idling in still midday humid air - and non-moving summer traffic congestion?
 
My understanding is that the wrap is easily removed if you don't like it or something happens to it. I'd say go for it!
 
Welcome, capz. Sure it’s all personal, but look at the EX colors in 2019 (in Europe). In this one year only Honda offered a blue CB which looks gorgeous. Not 2nd best to the original colors back in the 70th.
Also very interested in whether the wrap can stand the heat.
 
I wonder if the wrapper company can offer a "six pack" of wrapper designs that the owner can install themselves at home when they get bored of one, or one gets damaged.

I am thinking use case: Fuel tank.
 
Probably not - wraps aren't just a stick-on affair unless it's a flat surface. On a a compound-curved tank, it would need to be applied in panels and trimmed pretty carefully.
One thing that could be done is to hide the seams in the panels along the color breaks in the stripes. I've seen that done. It would look more like a paint job.

Depending on the type of vinyl used, they're pretty fuel resistant. I've had a few cars done for past companies, and they've held up well.
 
Thread starter
Good point on the heat issue I'll just call a shop and ask if it's an issue. It's just so cheap! And bonus that's it's removable. Could even do the helmet to match. I know it's prob not easy. I'll practice on the Maserati first.......daughters 6V ride-on haha
Love the teal and orange pics posted above. My first bike was a Tahitian blue Nighthawk. It popped.
 
You can go nuts with a wrap job.

This car is wrapped, believe it or not. Looking at it up close, you'd be hard pressed to tell, until the owner shows you where the panel breaks are - very carefully hidden in the stripe patterns.
 
Thread starter
So many possibilities. The trimming seems like it takes practice and skill, to cut just the wrap and not nick the paint.
 
Thread starter
Ordered the tools and a small amount of cheap vinyl to practice and get a feel for the method. I'll wrap the lawnmower or something. Came up with a few color schemes. Pick one for me cause I can't. Not a CB in the pics but you'll get the visual.

20220420_104044-COLLAGE.jpg
 
I'd go for upper right or lower left, but I'd leave the wheels stock, or if you're changing wheels, black.

I've always wanted to do a bike in Porsche "Gulf blue" with orange trim. the upper right one seems closest, but even if I did that, I'd still leave the wheels black or silver (or the combination of the two).
 
Back
Top