Coffee Shop Bikes

rboe

Road warrior
Thread starter
The gang has been talking a bit about a "Coffee Shop" bike and one of them published an article on it here: http://www.vintagemotorcyclesonline.com/features/stories/335-coffee-shop-bike

Seems ripe for discussion. To me, the GB500 would be a perfect Coffee Shop bike but the definition is pretty broad and the CB1100 seems to fit it pretty good too. At least for my coffee shop riding needs (CB1100 content!).

I see the Coffee Shop bike as being a toned down more relaxed version of a Cafe' Bike but with considerable over lap. I typically run over to Dunkin Donuts or The Grotto up in Cave Creek (ten minutes to 30 minutes ride one way). Rarely the Grotto run will turn into a Bartlett Lake run so a Coffee Shop Bike will need to endure some entertaining twisty bits and cruising - for me.

Since running to coffee shop to chat with me mates can be the only time I get out on the bike during the week; a Coffee Shop Bike suddenly is a better bike to have than one suited to cross country touring.

What would be YOUR Coffee Shop Bike and why?
 
Two years ago I started looking around for a "Coffee Shop Bike", I just didn't know it. I was riding a heavy HD and wanted something much lighter. In my showroom searches I was being offered lots of bikes with lots of fairings and liquid cooled, not really interested. I was waiting to test ride a Scout and in the showroom they had a SR400 that I loved the vintage looks of, but it felt to small coming off the HD. Long story short I ended up with the CB1100 with no regrets. Same UJM look that I loved without the small bike feel, but about 100 lbs more than I wanted. Contrary to my fairing and liquid cooling dislike I also fell in love with an 84 VF500 and added that to the stable. Vintage sport bike ? And its the perfect weight for bopping around. Which one do I take to the Coffee Shop? both, even though I drink tea :D

 
I'd love to have my CBR250r back and think it would make a good CSB, although it lacks a little in the classic beauty department. I would love a vintage CB (any displacement under 750) or maybe this new 500 cc (I think) bike from Genuine Motorcycles that showed up in another thread here.

My 2013 CB1100 works pretty well as a CSB, but it exceeds the weight parameters. That said, having no other bike from which to choose, I am "forced" to ride this one to coffee shops (or the occasional tea shop) whenever I need to get out of the house...errr..I mean whenever I need coffee or tea. :)
 
I have a few bikes that fit the category, but the 1961 Moto Morini 175 virtually owns the label of 'coffee shop bike.' Italian flair, always a point of conversation at my espresso stop, and a throaty, clattering 12 BHP to whisk me back home!

 
^^^ Gorgeous bike!

I call 'em Sunday Afternoon Bikes, not Coffee Shop Bikes, but same idea. I've had a few over the years, expressly for that purpose. CB750. CB400F. RD350. V7 Classic. And now the CB1100. The riding enjoyment has increased with each iteration.
 
I don't drink a lot of coffee, but I've been known to ride down to the local hardware and ice cream shop on my CB175.

5b16510f5f99e8b97b82febcb0d7d9b4.jpg
 
Thread starter
Oooh! The Moto Morini is da bomb! The Morini v twin 350 would be very nice too. :D

I'll add the CX500, VT at FT500's and really hitting the bottom of the barrel size wise: The MB5.
 
Chapomis: I really ADMIRE the way your keep your motorcycles so clean, pristine!

Razor: Absolutely beautiful Honda 175!

And me - I've got only the CB1100 - but it's good for the coffee shop... three states over ;)
 
This Guzzi V7R was bought specifically to ride on Sat and Sunday mornings during the summer to my buddies coffee shop about 5 miles from my house. Then, at least on one of those days a couple times a month after we've hung out for about an hour or so we see who showed up on their bikes and go for a casual ride around our local mountains anywhere from 50-75 miles. I also trailer it to southern Utah a couple times a year and ride through the red rock country down there.

2f3975610a3d44ffebc9e55d3dde0b26.jpg
 
Thread starter
Oh yes!!! The V7 would be excellent! The Racer, even better! Like the CB, the "little" V7 tourers much better than folks give it credit. She is a sleeper.

The Bonneville would be a good CSB too.

Dang, you guys have some nice ideas!
 
It's funny that I've never actually thought about a "coffee shop bike" living here in Portland where coffee (along with microbrews) is consumed in such large quantities. Not to mention that there are countless places to ride to in pursuit of coffee.

I'll be shocked if anyone posts up with a machine that would get my vote over Capo's Moto Morini, that's awesome.

I suppose my Hawk would be my CSB...

4ee68ff5a3eecd8a34becce37657182a.jpg
 
quietguy_imp said:
Breath-taking views there, Frulk...

I'd love to one day ride both Utah and Colorado - unbelievable beauty in both states.
You've got a home base and garage here in CO if you ever need. There are incredible roads leading to 11,000' passes within two miles of my house, and a good lakeside coffee shop two miles the other way, but the riding season is short. PM me when you're ready.
 
Guess a 77 KZ1000 would have to be it for me. I totally rebuilt one in 2014 and since I have never ridden to a coffee shop, it will have to do for me I guess.
 
LongRanger_imp said:
quietguy_imp said:
Breath-taking views there, Frulk...

I'd love to one day ride both Utah and Colorado - unbelievable beauty in both states.
You've got a home base and garage here in CO if you ever need. There are incredible roads leading to 11,000' passes within two miles of my house, and a good lakeside coffee shop two miles the other way, but the riding season is short. PM me when you're ready.
Thank you very much, LongRanger!

My biggest fear? Possibly never leave...:shy:
 
Back
Top