Clicking Noise from Rear Wheel Area

Chapomis_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
Two rides ago I heard a noise coming from the rear wheel. My first description of the noise was it sounded like a tiny baseball card in bicycle spokes. A better description would be the noise the rear axle of a 10 speed bike when you are coasting. My first reaction was to apply the rear brake, but that didn't affect the noise at all. So I stopped the bike and checked carefully for any foreign objects, nothing. My son, who was following me said that he could hear it from 20' behind me. After the shortened ride I put it up on the centerstand, in neutral, and spun the wheel. It definitely sounds like 10 speed coasting noise and seemed to come from the rear wheel sprocket area. When I spun the wheel forward the clicking stopped after a few revolutions, but when I spun the wheel backwards the clicking was consistent. The chain didn't look especially dry and there is only 550 miles on the bike, but I lubed it anyways and the sound seemed to diminish, but Jane was rushing me to get to a dinner engagement so I just put it away. Fast forward to yesterday. The clicking is still there. I found that it was very quiet when I was accelerating, but the minute I backed off the throttle it was very apparent. I stopped and saw ACK and we put it up on the centerstand and he was baffled. He looked at the chain tension and he thought that it was a bit slack, but by no means bad, especially with only 550 miles. To me it sounds like the noise is coming from the left side of the hub near the sprocket. Its not nearly as loud when I listen from the right side. Has anyone else heard this clicking ?
 
Chapomis_imp said:
Two rides ago I heard a noise coming from the rear wheel. My first description of the noise was it sounded like a tiny baseball card in bicycle spokes. A better description would be the noise the rear axle of a 10 speed bike when you are coasting. My first reaction was to apply the rear brake, but that didn't affect the noise at all. So I stopped the bike and checked carefully for any foreign objects, nothing. My son, who was following me said that he could hear it from 20' behind me. After the shortened ride I put it up on the centerstand, in neutral, and spun the wheel. It definitely sounds like 10 speed coasting noise and seemed to come from the rear wheel sprocket area. When I spun the wheel forward the clicking stopped after a few revolutions, but when I spun the wheel backwards the clicking was consistent. The chain didn't look especially dry and there is only 550 miles on the bike, but I lubed it anyways and the sound seemed to diminish, but Jane was rushing me to get to a dinner engagement so I just put it away. Fast forward to yesterday. The clicking is still there. I found that it was very quiet when I was accelerating, but the minute I backed off the throttle it was very apparent. I stopped and saw ACK and we put it up on the centerstand and he was baffled. He looked at the chain tension and he thought that it was a bit slack, but by no means bad, especially with only 550 miles. To me it sounds like the noise is coming from the left side of the hub near the sprocket. Its not nearly as loud when I listen from the right side. Has anyone else heard this clicking ?

Make sure that the chain is correctly aligned with the two sprockets. Under load the sound might not be as noticeable as when you are coasting.
 
I would check the chain for a defective, binding link. Next, remove the rear wheel and do a close inspection of all associated parts, wheel bearings, sprocket, brake disc and spacers. If still in warranty, I would take it to the dealer if all else fails.
 
hmm my initial reaction was dry chain, but you said no. I would loosen the axle, check alignment as Gary suggested, and retighten to spec just to eliminate that..
 
My DLX has that very same noise. I would say its more of a whirring sound than a click and only heard when coasting off throttle. My bike also has low miles 360. Chain appears lubricated and bike rides smoothly. I have not investigated as I thought it was just a character of the bike but now I think I should.
I am out of warranty so will have to try to fix myself or pay $$$ if its serious.
 
I'll be riding mine in a bit. Will try and listen. It's not a noise associated with the slotted speed sensor is it?
 
My first thought was speed sensor also, but what Steve said, one binding link in the chain makes sense to me too. If other bikes have the noise, could it be just a normal sound from the master link?

-George. who sometimes is glad his hearing isn't what it used to be.
 
There is a spec in the service manual for the gap between the sensor and ring. Man, I would think if the sensor was rubbing on the ring that the sensor would get messed up pretty quickly.
 
maybe not rubbing popgun, but air noise as the holes pass thru. Drilled front rotors do this I've noticed.
 
I guess that is a possibility. I didn't know that about drilled rotors. If mine does that I don't hear it. Or can't hear it :)
 
This noise in definitely something moving. I certainly don't think its to do with the ABS sensor or pick up ring and it does not change if the rear brake is applied. I would guess its more chain/sprocket related or at worse rear wheel bearing although I would expect if it was a bearing it would be noisy under load.
I will do more investigation this weekend.
 
Thread starter
ClassicVW_imp said:
My first thought was speed sensor also, but what Steve said, one binding link in the chain makes sense to me too. If other bikes have the noise, could it be just a normal sound from the master link?

-George. who sometimes is glad his hearing isn't what it used to be.
I don't know where the speed sensor is, but i will look harder for it. If it were the master link there would be a longer interval in the sound at low speed (IE: spinning the tire on the centerstand) and a shorter interval as the speed increased. Like getting a stone or nail in a car tire. This sound is much more consistent slow or fast which leads me to believe that it is in the center of the radius/wheel. I compare it to disc sander where the outside edge is traveling at a high rpm and technically the center isn't moving at all. This seems to be coming from just a little ways from the center of the axle.....bearing distance. I am going to check alignment, find the sensor to see where it lies in the radius. I noticed that there are hole in the wheel hub. Is it possible that something foreign got inside the hub ? I do live on a dirt road and have a stone driveway. I am going to try and record the sound and post it to uTube.
 
Is the wheel true to the frame? If it's cocked a bit either way it would throw the chain, sprocket, and everything else out of alignment. I'd put it up on the center stand and spin the rear tire while looking from the back of the bike.
 
Thread starter
Here's what I was able to record.
Hard to distinguish the noise with the swooshing of the brake rotor. I lubed the chain again and again it got quiet, again, so I think it really is just a dry chain. What confuses me about that is how soon it happened (500 miles) and how quickly it happened. One ride it was quiet the next ride it was loud. I do have to confess that all my recent previous bikes have been either belt or shaft drive (chain in early 70s). I won't be able to test ride today, but will report when I do. The upside to this was that it got me to within 6" of my rear wheel with glasses on. It was nasty down there. All cleaned and polished now ! Oh, found the speed sensor, wasn't that.
 
I usually lube the chain every 300 to 400 miles with Tirox Synthetic chain lube. I can tell when I roll my bike out for a ride whether the chain needs lubing. It's noisy when lube is needed.
 
Noise has a way of traveling down the chain, did you have someone spin the wheel and listen by the front sprocket? Are you sure its coming from the rear?? I hear normal chain and rotor noise but that clicking does not sound normal.

I would remove the rear wheel, check for wear spots on the axle, lube check bearings and reinstall.
 
95 miles today. No clicking I could hear.
 
I see what you did there, Ferret: a quiet gloat about nearly 100 miles in the saddle carefully packaged with a helpful noise report. :beerchug: <-----tea
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
95 miles today. No clicking I could hear.
Did you have ear plugs in ?
CIP57_imp said:
Noise has a way of traveling down the chain, did you have someone spin the wheel and listen by the front sprocket? Are you sure its coming from the rear?? I hear normal chain and rotor noise but that clicking does not sound normal.

I would remove the rear wheel, check for wear spots on the axle, lube check bearings and reinstall.
I considered that. I have a stethoscope somewhere. When ACK and I were looking at it he thought it might be coming from the rubber track that is midway between sprockets on top of the frame. That contributes to some of the noise, but not the clicking. Its epicenter is at the axle.
If this was an older bike with an expired warrantee, I would yank the rear wheel and investigate. But if the noise persists I will bring it to a dealer and let them stress about it.
 
No offense intended, Chapomis, but I'd bet my paycheck that the dealer isn't gong to stress over it. I wouldn't expect a dealer to pursue the source of a slight noise like this without there being more of a problem evident. And he's gong to say that everything is within specs and hand the bike back to you.
 
Back
Top