cleaned headers

Well I admit those pipes look GOOD, but I'm just not putting hydrocloric, phosphoric or sulfuric acids on my bike. Just way too many ways for things to go wrong. YMMV

InDC--You probably got water in a spark plug cap or something like that. It isn't that uncommon when washing any engine, especially if you use a pressure wand, or high stream from a hose.
 
The headers are just going to have to be cleaned if you want them to stay shiny. I have 4500 miles on my 13 CB and have cleaned them twice. There is no way around it, short of replacing the headers with double wall chrome ones. If you ride in rain or fog the moisture is going to make them turn colors quicker. Find something that works for you and plan on having to clean them. I hand wash my CB with a bucket and a small amount of car wash soap. I wax the painted and chrome surfaces, takes me about an hour. The headers usually take me about 25 to 30 minutes to polish. My CB has only been wet twice, once on a ride for about 30 minutes and once while being trailered. If you are going to use water, lower pressure and when done only a leaf blower. High pressure water and high pressure air will force water into areas that could cause problems. Find something that works for you and have fun!! :thumbsup:

Now, if I had a adventurer type, plastic cover bike, I'd hose it off and ride on.
 
Thread starter
I have had my bike for 4 and a half months, 8,000 miles. I ride 66 miles 5 or 6 days a week. I have ridden in thunderstorms, rain and fog on many occasions. I usually dont worry about my headers being gold colored. I just thought I would try the pontoon acid because it sounds very similar to the Optiglanz product. I am assuming the Optiglanz probably contains some form of acid if it tells you to wear gloves and avoid overspray. If I decide to try it again later, I will just wipe the acid on with a sponge and wash it off with water, no overspray to get on vulnerable parts. I am not promoting the use of acid on the pipes, just tried it mainly out of curiosity.
 
InDC_imp said:
meowguy_imp said:
I have just given up on my headers. Spare time I have I just ride. :)
I hear ya. I live in an apt. and hate cleaning my bike (2002 CB750). I don't know if the two are related (e.g. it's against the rules to wash cars, etc.), but I also have a perverse pride in riding a dirty bike. Like it's some kind of purist/real rider kind of thing. Ridiculous? I took it to a self-service car wash once, and although I thought I was being careful, water was sucked in or made it's way into the system and one of the pistons wouldn't fire when I was done. Maybe that's because it was hot and I should have put it in the back of my truck and washed it cold. Thoughts?
I hear ya. I live in an apt. and hate cleaning my bike (2002 CB750). I don't know if the two are related (e.g. it's against the rules to wash cars, etc.), but I also have a perverse pride in riding a dirty bike. Like it's some kind of purist/real rider kind of thing. Ridiculous? I took it to a self-service car wash once, and although I thought I was being careful, water was sucked in or made it's way into the system and one of the pistons wouldn't fire when I was done. Maybe that's because it was hot and I should have put it in the back of my truck and washed it cold. Thoughts?
Yeah...don't do that!
 
Thanks Fredkb. I appreciate your tip. I never knew they were chrome like that. I just told people that the Japenese found some alien metal and used it for out headers because people would ask-what metal is that? Titanium? The pipes are that color from the factory! Mine are bronze now. I was told not to clean em by an old timer though.
 
fredkb_imp said:
Here is a couple of pics of the acid we use for pontoons.
de6abfa5ffa4d6cc015896650b1f2e44.jpg
b55c98a0bcf63fb2d5e8bd7ce00b5e60.jpg
e2306355d6ae2486d3abfe90adc59600.jpg
cac2a25164d8da72723a051ad3cfe35a.jpg
That looks like hydrofluoric acid listed on there. HF is, in my opinion, one of most if not the-most dangerous acids. We do have it in one of the labs but there is a calcium glutonate antidote available for accidental exposure. Often, the fingernail must be removed in cases of exposure to ensure the acid is removed or neutralized. This stuff will kill you.
 
I purchased my CB last week with 575 miles. The pipes from the engine for about 8 inches had already turned brown. I had a bottle of "blue-b-gone" that I had never opened and I tried it. It looked like a regular polish to me. A white cream. There are no warnings about skin contact, only a warning if it gets in your eyes. I used it on a cloth barehanded and felt no issues. Of course I washed thoroughly afterwards. It got rid of the brown and the pipes are again bright silver. It did take several applications and some time. Instructions state to rub it on and quickly remove. Each area came lighter with each application, maybe 4 or 5 applications until everything was removed.
 
Acid is a Tripp to use. I don't want to die on acid.
I'm going to try this 120g tube of yoshimura header cleaner.
It's going for 39.95 tube. Use small amounts it's expensive. Video proof on the website looks good but I will wear gloves! Here it is I'm in. Don't trip out.

http://www.stainmagic.us
 
fredkb_imp said:
I figure if I screw the headers up by experimenting with the pontoon acid, then I will have a good excuse to buy the yoshi black exhaust system. I will post a picture of the pontoon acid I used when I return to work. We get it in a 55 gallon drum.
A few more pics.
7cda48fbcc2addad1d78c7cf2f1cd5a4.jpg
bdeacc2482f33a9713ee3a7c150d2f4e.jpg
84eb08588b4873dca4363ee4893f8098.jpg
I'm looking at the engine behind the headers, around the oil filter. Is that mud or did it eat the paint?
 
Mdalon_imp said:
Acid is a Tripp to use. I don't want to die on acid.
I'm going to try this 120g tube of yoshimura header cleaner.
It's going for 39.95 tube. Use small amounts it's expensive. Video proof on the website looks good but I will wear gloves! Here it is I'm in. Don't trip out.

http://www.stainmagic.us
I've wanted to try this. Let us know how it goes.
 
Thread starter
It is just dirt. I was extremely careful not to get the acid on any part of the bike except the headers. I was inside, not in the wind. I also put cardboard behind the headers, moving the cardboard as I went so as to fully protect everything. I also put the spray nozzle against the pipe and very gently squeezed the trigger so there was no overspray whatsoever. It just very gently wet the pipe slightly. Then I rinsed the bike except the headers. After a few minutes, I rinsed the pipes and washed with a wet rag.
Here is the dirt on front of motor. I ride in rain a couple of times nearly every week.
941eb49c2538c4bb4f44658e9787e48f.jpg

Before
0317165039dd4bd10ae9052f2f593ec0.jpg
2440abcde922c5d8f90e0703e1a850f2.jpg

after a quick wipe with a wet rag
77dfbcae167d08a8d0e266b8b558618f.jpg
e61e8017b2813b5d53f404a932f54309.jpg
 
I gave up on those factory headers, I tried everything to make them shine. The only product I found that would touch the tarnish was STAIN MAGIC. So kudos to you fredKB. I just traded my CB1100 for Ducati Hyperstrada which I'm totally satisfied with. Funny thing is it also has a stainless header that turns brown, but it does'nt bother me. Honda should have made chrome headers the standard.
 
Thread starter
Dakota, Thanks for the heads up on the dangers of hydroflouric acid. We have been using this stuff for many years. I never realized that it was so highly toxic. I will inform my co-workers of the dangers and we will all take measures to be safer. Thanks again. I think I will just see how the reviews on the Stain Magic turn out and maybe try that and not use acid any more.
 
fredkb_imp said:
It is just dirt. I was extremely careful not to get the acid on any part of the bike except the headers. I was inside, not in the wind. I also put cardboard behind the headers, moving the cardboard as I went so as to fully protect everything. I also put the spray nozzle against the pipe and very gently squeezed the trigger so there was no overspray whatsoever. It just very gently wet the pipe slightly. Then I rinsed the bike except the headers. After a few minutes, I rinsed the pipes and washed with a wet rag.
Here is the dirt on front of motor. I ride in rain a couple of times nearly every week.
941eb49c2538c4bb4f44658e9787e48f.jpg

Before
0317165039dd4bd10ae9052f2f593ec0.jpg
2440abcde922c5d8f90e0703e1a850f2.jpg

after a quick wipe with a wet rag
77dfbcae167d08a8d0e266b8b558618f.jpg
e61e8017b2813b5d53f404a932f54309.jpg
So, if I take my new black 14 out it will get dirty...guess I'll need a much bigger garage...
 
Back
Top