clean front sprocket

Bronzaar_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Hello fellow CB1100 cruisers,

Since i got my liscence in january and am driving this beautifull Honda cb1100 2013, i am around 4000 km (+-2500 miles)

In allready lubricated the chain a couple of times. but now i real gonna clean it the first time. i understood it's better to clean the sprockets asswell.

Is there anyone here that can explain me how to dismantle some parts to reach to the front sprocket?

thanks in advance!

Mathieu
 
Bronzaar, Who does that? Most likely no one.

However, remove the bolt and pull the shift arm off the splined shaft. Mark it first so you can put it back in the same place. Remove the screws in the cover and pull it off. Thats about it.
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Bronzaar, Who does that? Most likely no one.

However, remove the bolt and pull the shift arm off the splined shaft. Mark it first so you can put it back in the same place. Remove the screws in the cover and pull it off. Thats about it.
I haven't done this on the CB, but popgun has it right.
On my Bonneville, about every other year or so I pull the sprocket cover off and clean out all the chain lube and dirt that has accumulated in there. I'm not concerned about cleaning the sprocket itself, just getting the lube out that tends to pack in there over time.
I know when it needs to be done when I can see the lube beginning to seep out from under the cover due to the heat of the engine.
Come to think of it, I've never had the cover off my 900F, but maybe I should take a look :D :D :D
It only has 33,000 km's on the factory chain and sprockets.
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Bronzaar, Who does that? Most likely no one.

However, remove the bolt and pull the shift arm off the splined shaft. Mark it first so you can put it back in the same place. Remove the screws in the cover and pull it off. Thats about it.
Can't say I have ever done it, but may consider it now.
 
I Never pulled the cover off to clean in that area with almost 19.5K miles on the bike. As mentioned above. It’s not hard to do if you have the time. I’ll clean that area when I go to replaced the sprockets at the recommended intervals. I need to check on those intervals in the service manual. Might do that Saturday. It’s supposed to rain here most of the day then.
 
I never did that for the last 42 years! Well, 19 years of that I was riding a Kardan... :)

Hey, it's inside a black box. It's good, if lubricated, nobody would look after it.
 
At least on my 2017 EX, you don't have to mark the shaft or the shift linkage; the factory put punch marks on both.
 
Cookie, All years should be like that. But some peopld have moved the linkage on the shaft. For instance, I moved mine one tooth AND adjusted the rod to get the pedal where I wanted it.

Since I don’t know where Bronzaar’s is set, I just told him to mark it and didn’t mention the punch marks.
 
Thread starter
ok thanks for the answers guys!

now i know i don't have to bother that much i won't do it either.
I guess the fact that it's my verry first bike ever that makes me want to be sure i do everything right to be safe. i'm verry new in motorcycles.

The guy in a Honda shop in Belgium who told me he does it every weekend must be a maniac. Or he want me to buy lube bottles as much as possible. :)

When i bought it it had 30.000KM now it has 34.000. In the shop they said to come back at 36.000 for a first check up. I will ask them at that time to teach me about punch marks and splined shafts and such. on the spot and in dutch it will go easier.

For now i first drove a bit after work, then cleaned the chain with product i bought for this, a TON of filth came of, after it was clean i lubed it . let it rest 2 hours and then drove a bit again. done.
 
Good decision, Bronzaar. You actually have to remove the shift lever and then the cover. When you do, you'll discover the clutch slave cylinder and yet another cover which have to be removed as well before you can get at the from sprocket. If you want to get the chain off, you probably also have to loosen the rear axle and slide the wheel forward.
 
Bronzaar_imp said:
ok thanks for the answers guys!

now i know i don't have to bother that much i won't do it either.
I guess the fact that it's my verry first bike ever that makes me want to be sure i do everything right to be safe. i'm verry new in motorcycles.

The guy in a Honda shop in Belgium who told me he does it every weekend must be a maniac. Or he want me to buy lube bottles as much as possible. :)

When i bought it it had 30.000KM now it has 34.000. In the shop they said to come back at 36.000 for a first check up. I will ask them at that time to teach me about punch marks and splined shafts and such. on the spot and in dutch it will go easier.

For now i first drove a bit after work, then cleaned the chain with product i bought for this, a TON of filth came of, after it was clean i lubed it . let it rest 2 hours and then drove a bit again. done.
I would have to agree with that. Sounds like a psychiatric disorder. I used to date a gal that used to scrub the inside of her dishwasher clean every week. :huh: :huh:
 
Flynrider_imp said:
Bronzaar_imp said:
ok thanks for the answers guys!

now i know i don't have to bother that much i won't do it either.
I guess the fact that it's my verry first bike ever that makes me want to be sure i do everything right to be safe. i'm verry new in motorcycles.

The guy in a Honda shop in Belgium who told me he does it every weekend must be a maniac. Or he want me to buy lube bottles as much as possible. :)

When i bought it it had 30.000KM now it has 34.000. In the shop they said to come back at 36.000 for a first check up. I will ask them at that time to teach me about punch marks and splined shafts and such. on the spot and in dutch it will go easier.

For now i first drove a bit after work, then cleaned the chain with product i bought for this, a TON of filth came of, after it was clean i lubed it . let it rest 2 hours and then drove a bit again. done.
I would have to agree with that. Sounds like a psychiatric disorder. I used to date a gal that used to scrub the inside of her dishwasher clean every week. :huh: :huh:
I would have to agree with that. Sounds like a psychiatric disorder. I used to date a gal that used to scrub the inside of her dishwasher clean every week. :huh: :huh: I think that I married her !
 
Houtman_imp said:
Flynrider_imp said:
Bronzaar_imp said:
ok thanks for the answers guys!

now i know i don't have to bother that much i won't do it either.
I guess the fact that it's my verry first bike ever that makes me want to be sure i do everything right to be safe. i'm verry new in motorcycles.

The guy in a Honda shop in Belgium who told me he does it every weekend must be a maniac. Or he want me to buy lube bottles as much as possible. :)

When i bought it it had 30.000KM now it has 34.000. In the shop they said to come back at 36.000 for a first check up. I will ask them at that time to teach me about punch marks and splined shafts and such. on the spot and in dutch it will go easier.

For now i first drove a bit after work, then cleaned the chain with product i bought for this, a TON of filth came of, after it was clean i lubed it . let it rest 2 hours and then drove a bit again. done.
I would have to agree with that. Sounds like a psychiatric disorder. I used to date a gal that used to scrub the inside of her dishwasher clean every week. :huh: :huh:
I would have to agree with that. Sounds like a psychiatric disorder. I used to date a gal that used to scrub the inside of her dishwasher clean every week. :huh: :huh: I think that I married her !
I would have to agree with that. Sounds like a psychiatric disorder. I used to date a gal that used to scrub the inside of her dishwasher clean every week. :huh: :huh: I think that I married her !
Can I have her cell number.... I have to clarify a few things:angel:
 
For three years I lubed the chain of my CB500XA after every second day ride with chain oil that was suppose to be none fling. Someone had suggested placing a small magnet on the chain before rotating it so you tell when the lubed part came around. After the second one disappeared I decided to remove the front sprocket cover to retrieve them.

OH MY GOD! Everything was packed with grit and grease.

Took a lot of popsicle sticks and paper towels to get the worst of it out. Took a spray can of GUNK engine cleaner and my spray washer to get the rest off. The curb had a long prism coloured puddle all the way down to the sewer cover where the two missing magnets found a home. Good thing the neighbourhood tree hugger was not around to see that.

I now use chain wax. Unlike chain oil this stays on the chain. No more grubby mess on the chain, chain guard, back wheel, and front spocket.
 
Mine got sorta cleaned when I replaced the chain and sprockets at 36,909 miles.
 
I use chain wax as well. Matter of fact this reminds me to spray some on before I ride down to the local coffee shop n about 30 minutes. I use it every 500-600 miles or if ridden in the rain.
 
Back
Top