clanking when shifting

Interesting about watching tach. On a lot of videos you can see from th tach that the rider is putting along and shifting lazy, as if driving a car.... Clutch, revs drop way down, shift(clank), revs come up and then increase until next shift... Its like they're making it a 3 step process. Bike trannys dont work same as cars.

shifting a motorcycle is a 1 step process. On videos where shifts are smooth, the tach falls only as far as what matches the next gear and the shifts are brisk but not slammed through..... Its one motion. Clutch throttle toe all at the same time so you go one gear right to the other with no delay and no extra rpm drop. Even when riding casually. Makes shifting much smoother and quieter on any bike.

(this has nothing to do with clutch less shifting. Dont start.)
 
CB4ME_imp said:
In a related subject, how many of you have taken off in a hurry and missed the shift from 1st to second.......and watched the tach shoot up past redline? :blush:
I really have to kick it into 2nd when i am above 6k rpm or more. Feel pretty stupid when thst happens...:huh:
Better boots help.
 
PilotPaul_imp said:
I was wondering and I may just be being a bit anxious, but have any of you experienced a slightly loud clanking noise when shifting from 1st to 2nd?
Yes! Despite what most posters to this site are saying, my 2014 Deluxe transmission was rather clunky when I first got it, especially the first to second gear shift. As the miles have built up (725 now) it has smoothed out considerably. The first to second shift is way, way better now, but it's still not as smooth as everybody else on this forum are claiming that their bikes are. Other than first to second gear shifts, the rest of the transmission is a smooth as silk now, and I believe the first to second shift will achieve this level after some more miles. BTW, I did my first oil change at 250 miles, using Golden Spectro, semi-synthetic. one more thing, my clunkiness was shifting at about 2,500 - 3,000 RPM (yes, I'm babying my new bike right now).
 
Shifting from first to second at 3000 rpms? Now I wish the weather wasn't so rainy as I think I shift well before that... Maybe that could be why so clunky a shift, a high rpm shift?
I could be wrong though.. Hard to tell when you are rained out...

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk
 
Dakota_imp said:
I don't think that the CB1100 is all that smooth. Not quite as clunky as a Harley but certainly not as smooth as the Kawasaki Vulcan I owned (and the Vulcan had positive neutral finder).
Interesting...I owned two Vulcans - 900 classic and a 1700 classic - and I found it quite the opposite as you. The 900 was ok but noisy, the 1700 was loud, clunky and stuttered. That was/is common with those bikes.
 
Blockhead_imp said:
Dakota_imp said:
I don't think that the CB1100 is all that smooth. Not quite as clunky as a Harley but certainly not as smooth as the Kawasaki Vulcan I owned (and the Vulcan had positive neutral finder).
Interesting...I owned two Vulcans - 900 classic and a 1700 classic - and I found it quite the opposite as you. The 900 was ok but noisy, the 1700 was loud, clunky and stuttered. That was/is common with those bikes.
Interesting...I owned two Vulcans - 900 classic and a 1700 classic - and I found it quite the opposite as you. The 900 was ok but noisy, the 1700 was loud, clunky and stuttered. That was/is common with those bikes. Kawasaki sport & sport touring bikes have a shorter throw between gears which make them feel more positive. The CB like all Honda's is a bit longer but very positive. You can not be lazy when shifting this bike.
 
PilotPaul_imp said:
I was wondering and I may just be being a bit anxious, but have any of you experienced a slightly loud clanking noise when shifting from 1st to 2nd?
I wouldn't consider it a clunk, but there is some noticeably rough shifting between 1st and 2nd.

I switch riding between the CB and my Triumph Bonneville, a brand that also has a reputation for smooth transmissions. I still consider the CB's shifting to be smooth, but the Triumph is more refined, buttery smooth. Almost flawless.

I wouldn't hold this against the CB though; I've rode enough Harleys to know what a clunky transmission is (not knocking Harleys, I'm actually considering getting a Dyna as a third bike lol)and the Honda's way more refined.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
 
dBuster_imp said:
Shifting from first to second at 3000 rpms? Now I wish the weather wasn't so rainy as I think I shift well before that... Maybe that could be why so clunky a shift, a high rpm shift?
I could be wrong though.. Hard to tell when you are rained out...

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk
3000 rpm isn't a high rpm shift at all. It's not even half-way. The redline is 8500rpm. It's not a car.

Has anyone noticed, when clutch-less up-shifting, that the gear shifter will hang, and you can't up shift again unless you put reverse load on the transmission (i.e. get off the gas)? Mine does this often enough to be annoying. I forget if it does it during high-rpm shifts, or just randomly, but I'm thinking the former.
 
AzBob_imp said:
dBuster_imp said:
Shifting from first to second at 3000 rpms? Now I wish the weather wasn't so rainy as I think I shift well before that... Maybe that could be why so clunky a shift, a high rpm shift?
I could be wrong though.. Hard to tell when you are rained out...

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk
3000 rpm isn't a high rpm shift at all. It's not even half-way. The redline is 8500rpm. It's not a car.

Has anyone noticed, when clutch-less up-shifting, that the gear shifter will hang, and you can't up shift again unless you put reverse load on the transmission (i.e. get off the gas)? Mine does this often enough to be annoying. I forget if it does it during high-rpm shifts, or just randomly, but I'm thinking the former.
3000 rpm isn't a high rpm shift at all. It's not even half-way. The redline is 8500rpm. It's not a car.

Has anyone noticed, when clutch-less up-shifting, that the gear shifter will hang, and you can't up shift again unless you put reverse load on the transmission (i.e. get off the gas)? Mine does this often enough to be annoying. I forget if it does it during high-rpm shifts, or just randomly, but I'm thinking the former.
I was not saying that it was a high shift by far as I have shifted at 4000 rpm's myself. As it also doesn't say that you have to wait until you get near or to redline to shift either. We all shift at different points.

But normally I don't think I break 3000 rpms when I shift when driving in the city. If anything I just barely get to 3000 then I am already shifted.

Like I said though, need some dry weather to get out and check out how I shift and at what RPM I am shifting at. This 5th day straight of rain is for the birds. The second wettest April on record if we have not broke it with todays rainfall.

guess it is time for me to leave this shifting thread alone and go back to the oil threads. Personally my bike is not a clunky or noisy shifter at any RPM or speed. It does have the typical Neutral to 1st clunk or noise but that is all. I think I hear the 30 weight oil debate calling. this thread is getting above my head.
 
AzBob_imp said:
dBuster_imp said:
Shifting from first to second at 3000 rpms? Now I wish the weather wasn't so rainy as I think I shift well before that... Maybe that could be why so clunky a shift, a high rpm shift?
I could be wrong though.. Hard to tell when you are rained out...

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk
3000 rpm isn't a high rpm shift at all. It's not even half-way. The redline is 8500rpm. It's not a car.

Has anyone noticed, when clutch-less up-shifting, that the gear shifter will hang, and you can't up shift again unless you put reverse load on the transmission (i.e. get off the gas)? Mine does this often enough to be annoying. I forget if it does it during high-rpm shifts, or just randomly, but I'm thinking the former.
3000 rpm isn't a high rpm shift at all. It's not even half-way. The redline is 8500rpm. It's not a car.

Has anyone noticed, when clutch-less up-shifting, that the gear shifter will hang, and you can't up shift again unless you put reverse load on the transmission (i.e. get off the gas)? Mine does this often enough to be annoying. I forget if it does it during high-rpm shifts, or just randomly, but I'm thinking the former.
Az,

I have never had that happen, there is such a small sweet spot when clutch-less shifting. You have to be off the gas but before any engine braking occurs and usually between 4000-7000 rpm's. I use the clutch below 4000 and above 7000 If its hanging up its not a positive up-shift.
 
dBuster_imp said:
AzBob_imp said:
dBuster_imp said:
Shifting from first to second at 3000 rpms? Now I wish the weather wasn't so rainy as I think I shift well before that... Maybe that could be why so clunky a shift, a high rpm shift?
I could be wrong though.. Hard to tell when you are rained out...

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk
3000 rpm isn't a high rpm shift at all. It's not even half-way. The redline is 8500rpm. It's not a car.

Has anyone noticed, when clutch-less up-shifting, that the gear shifter will hang, and you can't up shift again unless you put reverse load on the transmission (i.e. get off the gas)? Mine does this often enough to be annoying. I forget if it does it during high-rpm shifts, or just randomly, but I'm thinking the former.
3000 rpm isn't a high rpm shift at all. It's not even half-way. The redline is 8500rpm. It's not a car.

Has anyone noticed, when clutch-less up-shifting, that the gear shifter will hang, and you can't up shift again unless you put reverse load on the transmission (i.e. get off the gas)? Mine does this often enough to be annoying. I forget if it does it during high-rpm shifts, or just randomly, but I'm thinking the former.
I was not saying that it was a high shift by far as I have shifted at 4000 rpm's myself. As it also doesn't say that you have to wait until you get near or to redline to shift either. We all shift at different points.

But normally I don't think I break 3000 rpms when I shift when driving in the city. If anything I just barely get to 3000 then I am already shifted.

Like I said though, need some dry weather to get out and check out how I shift and at what RPM I am shifting at. This 5th day straight of rain is for the birds. The second wettest April on record if we have not broke it with todays rainfall.

guess it is time for me to leave this shifting thread alone and go back to the oil threads. Personally my bike is not a clunky or noisy shifter at any RPM or speed. It does have the typical Neutral to 1st clunk or noise but that is all. I think I hear the 30 weight oil debate calling. this thread is getting above my head.
3000 rpm isn't a high rpm shift at all. It's not even half-way. The redline is 8500rpm. It's not a car.

Has anyone noticed, when clutch-less up-shifting, that the gear shifter will hang, and you can't up shift again unless you put reverse load on the transmission (i.e. get off the gas)? Mine does this often enough to be annoying. I forget if it does it during high-rpm shifts, or just randomly, but I'm thinking the former.
I was not saying that it was a high shift by far as I have shifted at 4000 rpm's myself. As it also doesn't say that you have to wait until you get near or to redline to shift either. We all shift at different points.

But normally I don't think I break 3000 rpms when I shift when driving in the city. If anything I just barely get to 3000 then I am already shifted.

Like I said though, need some dry weather to get out and check out how I shift and at what RPM I am shifting at. This 5th day straight of rain is for the birds. The second wettest April on record if we have not broke it with todays rainfall.

guess it is time for me to leave this shifting thread alone and go back to the oil threads. Personally my bike is not a clunky or noisy shifter at any RPM or speed. It does have the typical Neutral to 1st clunk or noise but that is all. I think I hear the 30 weight oil debate calling. this thread is getting above my head.
Just wait for some dry weather, get out and give it the beans.

Mine's done 575 miles. Yesterday I redlined it trying to get away from a tailgating git driving a Works Mini Cooper S.
 
AzBob_imp said:
dBuster_imp said:
Shifting from first to second at 3000 rpms? Now I wish the weather wasn't so rainy as I think I shift well before that... Maybe that could be why so clunky a shift, a high rpm shift?
I could be wrong though.. Hard to tell when you are rained out...

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk
3000 rpm isn't a high rpm shift at all. It's not even half-way. The redline is 8500rpm. It's not a car.

Has anyone noticed, when clutch-less up-shifting, that the gear shifter will hang, and you can't up shift again unless you put reverse load on the transmission (i.e. get off the gas)? Mine does this often enough to be annoying. I forget if it does it during high-rpm shifts, or just randomly, but I'm thinking the former.
3000 rpm isn't a high rpm shift at all. It's not even half-way. The redline is 8500rpm. It's not a car.

Has anyone noticed, when clutch-less up-shifting, that the gear shifter will hang, and you can't up shift again unless you put reverse load on the transmission (i.e. get off the gas)? Mine does this often enough to be annoying. I forget if it does it during high-rpm shifts, or just randomly, but I'm thinking the former.
Some motorcycles are not designed for clutch less shifting. Maybe this is one of them.
 
Tortuga_imp said:
dBuster_imp said:
AzBob_imp said:
dBuster_imp said:
Shifting from first to second at 3000 rpms? Now I wish the weather wasn't so rainy as I think I shift well before that... Maybe that could be why so clunky a shift, a high rpm shift?
I could be wrong though.. Hard to tell when you are rained out...

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk
3000 rpm isn't a high rpm shift at all. It's not even half-way. The redline is 8500rpm. It's not a car.

Has anyone noticed, when clutch-less up-shifting, that the gear shifter will hang, and you can't up shift again unless you put reverse load on the transmission (i.e. get off the gas)? Mine does this often enough to be annoying. I forget if it does it during high-rpm shifts, or just randomly, but I'm thinking the former.
3000 rpm isn't a high rpm shift at all. It's not even half-way. The redline is 8500rpm. It's not a car.

Has anyone noticed, when clutch-less up-shifting, that the gear shifter will hang, and you can't up shift again unless you put reverse load on the transmission (i.e. get off the gas)? Mine does this often enough to be annoying. I forget if it does it during high-rpm shifts, or just randomly, but I'm thinking the former.
I was not saying that it was a high shift by far as I have shifted at 4000 rpm's myself. As it also doesn't say that you have to wait until you get near or to redline to shift either. We all shift at different points.

But normally I don't think I break 3000 rpms when I shift when driving in the city. If anything I just barely get to 3000 then I am already shifted.

Like I said though, need some dry weather to get out and check out how I shift and at what RPM I am shifting at. This 5th day straight of rain is for the birds. The second wettest April on record if we have not broke it with todays rainfall.

guess it is time for me to leave this shifting thread alone and go back to the oil threads. Personally my bike is not a clunky or noisy shifter at any RPM or speed. It does have the typical Neutral to 1st clunk or noise but that is all. I think I hear the 30 weight oil debate calling. this thread is getting above my head.
3000 rpm isn't a high rpm shift at all. It's not even half-way. The redline is 8500rpm. It's not a car.

Has anyone noticed, when clutch-less up-shifting, that the gear shifter will hang, and you can't up shift again unless you put reverse load on the transmission (i.e. get off the gas)? Mine does this often enough to be annoying. I forget if it does it during high-rpm shifts, or just randomly, but I'm thinking the former.
I was not saying that it was a high shift by far as I have shifted at 4000 rpm's myself. As it also doesn't say that you have to wait until you get near or to redline to shift either. We all shift at different points.

But normally I don't think I break 3000 rpms when I shift when driving in the city. If anything I just barely get to 3000 then I am already shifted.

Like I said though, need some dry weather to get out and check out how I shift and at what RPM I am shifting at. This 5th day straight of rain is for the birds. The second wettest April on record if we have not broke it with todays rainfall.

guess it is time for me to leave this shifting thread alone and go back to the oil threads. Personally my bike is not a clunky or noisy shifter at any RPM or speed. It does have the typical Neutral to 1st clunk or noise but that is all. I think I hear the 30 weight oil debate calling. this thread is getting above my head.
Just wait for some dry weather, get out and give it the beans.

Mine's done 575 miles. Yesterday I redlined it trying to get away from a tailgating git driving a Works Mini Cooper S.
3000 rpm isn't a high rpm shift at all. It's not even half-way. The redline is 8500rpm. It's not a car.

Has anyone noticed, when clutch-less up-shifting, that the gear shifter will hang, and you can't up shift again unless you put reverse load on the transmission (i.e. get off the gas)? Mine does this often enough to be annoying. I forget if it does it during high-rpm shifts, or just randomly, but I'm thinking the former.
I was not saying that it was a high shift by far as I have shifted at 4000 rpm's myself. As it also doesn't say that you have to wait until you get near or to redline to shift either. We all shift at different points.

But normally I don't think I break 3000 rpms when I shift when driving in the city. If anything I just barely get to 3000 then I am already shifted.

Like I said though, need some dry weather to get out and check out how I shift and at what RPM I am shifting at. This 5th day straight of rain is for the birds. The second wettest April on record if we have not broke it with todays rainfall.

guess it is time for me to leave this shifting thread alone and go back to the oil threads. Personally my bike is not a clunky or noisy shifter at any RPM or speed. It does have the typical Neutral to 1st clunk or noise but that is all. I think I hear the 30 weight oil debate calling. this thread is getting above my head.
Just wait for some dry weather, get out and give it the beans.

Mine's done 575 miles. Yesterday I redlined it trying to get away from a tailgating git driving a Works Mini Cooper S.
I have given it the beans but no where near redline. Don't have plans on pushing to redline as the bike for me pulls away without needing to redline. I am over 1000 miles on my bike. I just don't see the point in trying to ride to the redline.

Like I said back to the oil threads I go..

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk
 
dBuster_imp said:
Tortuga_imp said:
dBuster_imp said:
AzBob_imp said:
dBuster_imp said:
Shifting from first to second at 3000 rpms? Now I wish the weather wasn't so rainy as I think I shift well before that... Maybe that could be why so clunky a shift, a high rpm shift?
I could be wrong though.. Hard to tell when you are rained out...

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk
3000 rpm isn't a high rpm shift at all. It's not even half-way. The redline is 8500rpm. It's not a car.

Has anyone noticed, when clutch-less up-shifting, that the gear shifter will hang, and you can't up shift again unless you put reverse load on the transmission (i.e. get off the gas)? Mine does this often enough to be annoying. I forget if it does it during high-rpm shifts, or just randomly, but I'm thinking the former.
3000 rpm isn't a high rpm shift at all. It's not even half-way. The redline is 8500rpm. It's not a car.

Has anyone noticed, when clutch-less up-shifting, that the gear shifter will hang, and you can't up shift again unless you put reverse load on the transmission (i.e. get off the gas)? Mine does this often enough to be annoying. I forget if it does it during high-rpm shifts, or just randomly, but I'm thinking the former.
I was not saying that it was a high shift by far as I have shifted at 4000 rpm's myself. As it also doesn't say that you have to wait until you get near or to redline to shift either. We all shift at different points.

But normally I don't think I break 3000 rpms when I shift when driving in the city. If anything I just barely get to 3000 then I am already shifted.

Like I said though, need some dry weather to get out and check out how I shift and at what RPM I am shifting at. This 5th day straight of rain is for the birds. The second wettest April on record if we have not broke it with todays rainfall.

guess it is time for me to leave this shifting thread alone and go back to the oil threads. Personally my bike is not a clunky or noisy shifter at any RPM or speed. It does have the typical Neutral to 1st clunk or noise but that is all. I think I hear the 30 weight oil debate calling. this thread is getting above my head.
3000 rpm isn't a high rpm shift at all. It's not even half-way. The redline is 8500rpm. It's not a car.

Has anyone noticed, when clutch-less up-shifting, that the gear shifter will hang, and you can't up shift again unless you put reverse load on the transmission (i.e. get off the gas)? Mine does this often enough to be annoying. I forget if it does it during high-rpm shifts, or just randomly, but I'm thinking the former.
I was not saying that it was a high shift by far as I have shifted at 4000 rpm's myself. As it also doesn't say that you have to wait until you get near or to redline to shift either. We all shift at different points.

But normally I don't think I break 3000 rpms when I shift when driving in the city. If anything I just barely get to 3000 then I am already shifted.

Like I said though, need some dry weather to get out and check out how I shift and at what RPM I am shifting at. This 5th day straight of rain is for the birds. The second wettest April on record if we have not broke it with todays rainfall.

guess it is time for me to leave this shifting thread alone and go back to the oil threads. Personally my bike is not a clunky or noisy shifter at any RPM or speed. It does have the typical Neutral to 1st clunk or noise but that is all. I think I hear the 30 weight oil debate calling. this thread is getting above my head.
Just wait for some dry weather, get out and give it the beans.

Mine's done 575 miles. Yesterday I redlined it trying to get away from a tailgating git driving a Works Mini Cooper S.
3000 rpm isn't a high rpm shift at all. It's not even half-way. The redline is 8500rpm. It's not a car.

Has anyone noticed, when clutch-less up-shifting, that the gear shifter will hang, and you can't up shift again unless you put reverse load on the transmission (i.e. get off the gas)? Mine does this often enough to be annoying. I forget if it does it during high-rpm shifts, or just randomly, but I'm thinking the former.
I was not saying that it was a high shift by far as I have shifted at 4000 rpm's myself. As it also doesn't say that you have to wait until you get near or to redline to shift either. We all shift at different points.

But normally I don't think I break 3000 rpms when I shift when driving in the city. If anything I just barely get to 3000 then I am already shifted.

Like I said though, need some dry weather to get out and check out how I shift and at what RPM I am shifting at. This 5th day straight of rain is for the birds. The second wettest April on record if we have not broke it with todays rainfall.

guess it is time for me to leave this shifting thread alone and go back to the oil threads. Personally my bike is not a clunky or noisy shifter at any RPM or speed. It does have the typical Neutral to 1st clunk or noise but that is all. I think I hear the 30 weight oil debate calling. this thread is getting above my head.
Just wait for some dry weather, get out and give it the beans.

Mine's done 575 miles. Yesterday I redlined it trying to get away from a tailgating git driving a Works Mini Cooper S.
I have given it the beans but no where near redline. Don't have plans on pushing to redline as the bike for me pulls away without needing to redline. I am over 1000 miles on my bike. I just don't see the point in trying to ride to the redline.

Like I said back to the oil threads I go..

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk
No point unless you're in the mood to accelerate as quickly as possible. Even then, dyno charts show power peaking at around 7300 rpm, so there's no point in going much beyond that.
 
Interesting post! When I first got my 1976 CB750 I complained to the dealer about clunky shifting and they told me I just didn't know how to ride it correctly yet. For the most part, they were correct, it/I got better.

The only motorcycle I have ever shifted without clutching was my motocross yz125, mainly because I so busy "hanging on" to it I needed all my fingers for the handle bar!

I'm been experimenting with RPM range, accelerating, peaking, de-accelerating looking for the smoothest shift. I've hit it a few times, even 1st to 2nd, making me think it's me, not the motorcycle. When I get it perfected (400mi on 2014std) I'll post my results.

The whole reason I bought this motorcycle was for the shifting! Now if I can just get some exhaust noise out of it I'll be set!
 
My old Quota could teach you guys about a clunky tranny. Very tractor like with good clunks up and down the range. Nature of the beast.
 
Okay things have dried up.. regarding shifting near 3000 rpm's... my normal riding I shift between 2200 and 2800 tops. I did for the sake of testing, pushed it a few times upwards of 4000 rpm's but would not shift that high normally.

My gearbox in my opinion is not any noisier or clunkier shifting than anything else I have ridden. I am going to bow out of this conversation...
 
Thread starter
Okay well I now have almost 1000 miles on the bike so far. I have noticed that no matter what shifting from neutral to first is always a little clunky. I have taken it as just normal and don't worry about it anymore. I have also noticed that it is a lot more quite when shifting from first to second when it's a little cold.

So it is what it is.
 
It does noticeably clunk into first from neutral. I'm used to it now and it's almost reassuring in a way; if it stopped clunking I'd be worried!
 
Back
Top