clanking when shifting

PilotPaul_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
I was wondering and I may just be being a bit anxious, but have any of you experienced a slightly loud clanking noise when shifting from 1st to 2nd?
 
Well...more of a clunk, but that is normal.
 
I get the same thing on my brand new 2014. I notice shifting in or out of 1st gear causes that harsh CLUNK sound if the RPM is too high, and this is the only motorcycle I've ever owned aside from an old and poorly maintained (from previous owner) 750 Nighthawk which did the same thing so I don't know if it's anything to be concerned about. Since the bike is so new i imagine it's not a problem, but I just try to stay in 2nd unless I'm coming to a complete stop.

Shifting from 2nd down to 1st at a lower speed like sub-30PMH seems to make it less noticeable though.
 
Randy B_imp said:
Well...more of a clunk, but that is normal.
When you shift between 1/2, either up/down, you have to shift through neutral. You've gotta be firm and brisk, as this gear change is more complex than 2-5 and vice versa.

All bikes are like this which have manual transmissions; well, almost all, except for some antiques.
 
I too tend to avoid first on the move for this very reason. If at a stop it's not an issue.

Incidentally the five speed CB 'box seems to enjoy clutch less up shifts right out the box, as it were.

In my experience Honda gearboxes are all a bit 'clunky munky'. They are however very reliable.

Suzuki gearboxes are like butter, sadly so is the rest of the bike!
 
floopfloopington_imp said:
I get the same thing on my brand new 2014. I notice shifting in or out of 1st gear causes that harsh CLUNK sound if the RPM is too high, and this is the only motorcycle I've ever owned aside from an old and poorly maintained (from previous owner) 750 Nighthawk which did the same thing so I don't know if it's anything to be concerned about. Since the bike is so new i imagine it's not a problem, but I just try to stay in 2nd unless I'm coming to a complete stop.

Shifting from 2nd down to 1st at a lower speed like sub-30PMH seems to make it less noticeable though.
So you normally shift down from second to first at more than 30 mph? Yikes !

Personally I only make that shift as I am coming to a stop, probably less than 10 mph...maybe less than 5 mph, don't know, would have to look, but 1 st is only used for taking off from a stop basically, or making a very tight slow turn. At approx 20 mph I shift into second and unless coming to a stop or making a hard turn into a parking lot or driveway, never use 1st again..if that makes sense.

It will make a clunk going from neutral into 1 st usually, but the rest of the gear changes are pretty much snick snick snick as long as the chain is adjusted properly. The CB 1100 has a reputation for having a smooth gearbox.
 
The ferret_imp said:
floopfloopington_imp said:
I get the same thing on my brand new 2014. I notice shifting in or out of 1st gear causes that harsh CLUNK sound if the RPM is too high, and this is the only motorcycle I've ever owned aside from an old and poorly maintained (from previous owner) 750 Nighthawk which did the same thing so I don't know if it's anything to be concerned about. Since the bike is so new i imagine it's not a problem, but I just try to stay in 2nd unless I'm coming to a complete stop.

Shifting from 2nd down to 1st at a lower speed like sub-30PMH seems to make it less noticeable though.
So you normally shift down from second to first at more than 30 mph? Yikes !

Personally I only make that shift as I am coming to a stop, probably less than 10 mph...maybe less than 5 mph, don't know, would have to look, but 1 st is only used for taking off from a stop basically, or making a very tight slow turn. At approx 20 mph I shift into second and unless coming to a stop or making a hard turn into a parking lot or driveway, never use 1st again..if that makes sense.

It will make a clunk going from neutral into 1 st usually, but the rest of the gear changes are pretty much snick snick snick as long as the chain is adjusted properly. The CB 1100 has a reputation for having a smooth gearbox.
So you normally shift down from second to first at more than 30 mph? Yikes !

Personally I only make that shift as I am coming to a stop, probably less than 10 mph...maybe less than 5 mph, don't know, would have to look, but 1 st is only used for taking off from a stop basically, or making a very tight slow turn. At approx 20 mph I shift into second and unless coming to a stop or making a hard turn into a parking lot or driveway, never use 1st again..if that makes sense.

It will make a clunk going from neutral into 1 st usually, but the rest of the gear changes are pretty much snick snick snick as long as the chain is adjusted properly. The CB 1100 has a reputation for having a smooth gearbox.
+1 on this.
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
floopfloopington_imp said:
I get the same thing on my brand new 2014. I notice shifting in or out of 1st gear causes that harsh CLUNK sound if the RPM is too high, and this is the only motorcycle I've ever owned aside from an old and poorly maintained (from previous owner) 750 Nighthawk which did the same thing so I don't know if it's anything to be concerned about. Since the bike is so new i imagine it's not a problem, but I just try to stay in 2nd unless I'm coming to a complete stop.

Shifting from 2nd down to 1st at a lower speed like sub-30PMH seems to make it less noticeable though.
So you normally shift down from second to first at more than 30 mph? Yikes !

Personally I only make that shift as I am coming to a stop, probably less than 10 mph...maybe less than 5 mph, don't know, would have to look, but 1 st is only used for taking off from a stop basically, or making a very tight slow turn. At approx 20 mph I shift into second and unless coming to a stop or making a hard turn into a parking lot or driveway, never use 1st again..if that makes sense.

It will make a clunk going from neutral into 1 st usually, but the rest of the gear changes are pretty much snick snick snick as long as the chain is adjusted properly. The CB 1100 has a reputation for having a smooth gearbox.
So you normally shift down from second to first at more than 30 mph? Yikes !

Personally I only make that shift as I am coming to a stop, probably less than 10 mph...maybe less than 5 mph, don't know, would have to look, but 1 st is only used for taking off from a stop basically, or making a very tight slow turn. At approx 20 mph I shift into second and unless coming to a stop or making a hard turn into a parking lot or driveway, never use 1st again..if that makes sense.

It will make a clunk going from neutral into 1 st usually, but the rest of the gear changes are pretty much snick snick snick as long as the chain is adjusted properly. The CB 1100 has a reputation for having a smooth gearbox.
+1 on this.
So you normally shift down from second to first at more than 30 mph? Yikes !

Personally I only make that shift as I am coming to a stop, probably less than 10 mph...maybe less than 5 mph, don't know, would have to look, but 1 st is only used for taking off from a stop basically, or making a very tight slow turn. At approx 20 mph I shift into second and unless coming to a stop or making a hard turn into a parking lot or driveway, never use 1st again..if that makes sense.

It will make a clunk going from neutral into 1 st usually, but the rest of the gear changes are pretty much snick snick snick as long as the chain is adjusted properly. The CB 1100 has a reputation for having a smooth gearbox.
+1 on this.
+2 Shifting into first I'm almost at a complete stop, most of the time i just go to neutral. I don't even use first unless I'm on a hill, the bike pulls fine from second on flat ground. Than its usually clutch-less up shifts from there.
 
CIP57_imp said:
Lord Popgun_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
floopfloopington_imp said:
I get the same thing on my brand new 2014. I notice shifting in or out of 1st gear causes that harsh CLUNK sound if the RPM is too high, and this is the only motorcycle I've ever owned aside from an old and poorly maintained (from previous owner) 750 Nighthawk which did the same thing so I don't know if it's anything to be concerned about. Since the bike is so new i imagine it's not a problem, but I just try to stay in 2nd unless I'm coming to a complete stop.

Shifting from 2nd down to 1st at a lower speed like sub-30PMH seems to make it less noticeable though.
So you normally shift down from second to first at more than 30 mph? Yikes !

Personally I only make that shift as I am coming to a stop, probably less than 10 mph...maybe less than 5 mph, don't know, would have to look, but 1 st is only used for taking off from a stop basically, or making a very tight slow turn. At approx 20 mph I shift into second and unless coming to a stop or making a hard turn into a parking lot or driveway, never use 1st again..if that makes sense.

It will make a clunk going from neutral into 1 st usually, but the rest of the gear changes are pretty much snick snick snick as long as the chain is adjusted properly. The CB 1100 has a reputation for having a smooth gearbox.
So you normally shift down from second to first at more than 30 mph? Yikes !

Personally I only make that shift as I am coming to a stop, probably less than 10 mph...maybe less than 5 mph, don't know, would have to look, but 1 st is only used for taking off from a stop basically, or making a very tight slow turn. At approx 20 mph I shift into second and unless coming to a stop or making a hard turn into a parking lot or driveway, never use 1st again..if that makes sense.

It will make a clunk going from neutral into 1 st usually, but the rest of the gear changes are pretty much snick snick snick as long as the chain is adjusted properly. The CB 1100 has a reputation for having a smooth gearbox.
+1 on this.
So you normally shift down from second to first at more than 30 mph? Yikes !

Personally I only make that shift as I am coming to a stop, probably less than 10 mph...maybe less than 5 mph, don't know, would have to look, but 1 st is only used for taking off from a stop basically, or making a very tight slow turn. At approx 20 mph I shift into second and unless coming to a stop or making a hard turn into a parking lot or driveway, never use 1st again..if that makes sense.

It will make a clunk going from neutral into 1 st usually, but the rest of the gear changes are pretty much snick snick snick as long as the chain is adjusted properly. The CB 1100 has a reputation for having a smooth gearbox.
+1 on this.
+2 Shifting into first I'm almost at a complete stop, most of the time i just go to neutral. I don't even use first unless I'm on a hill, the bike pulls fine from second on flat ground. Than its usually clutch-less up shifts from there.
So you normally shift down from second to first at more than 30 mph? Yikes !

Personally I only make that shift as I am coming to a stop, probably less than 10 mph...maybe less than 5 mph, don't know, would have to look, but 1 st is only used for taking off from a stop basically, or making a very tight slow turn. At approx 20 mph I shift into second and unless coming to a stop or making a hard turn into a parking lot or driveway, never use 1st again..if that makes sense.

It will make a clunk going from neutral into 1 st usually, but the rest of the gear changes are pretty much snick snick snick as long as the chain is adjusted properly. The CB 1100 has a reputation for having a smooth gearbox.
+1 on this.
+2 Shifting into first I'm almost at a complete stop, most of the time i just go to neutral. I don't even use first unless I'm on a hill, the bike pulls fine from second on flat ground. Than its usually clutch-less up shifts from there.
+3. Not only above but you don't need all that rear wheel drag over metal covers, oil spills, water and whatever.

Cheers
 
wayne van horn_imp said:
when down shifting blip your throttle while clutch is desingage then downshift, you have to do it fast.
And cock you knee out at a jaunty angle for that true 'pro speed racer' look!
 
Thread starter
Okay well I'll just take it as normal then. I just thought it should be a little quieter. Its been several years since I've had I've had a bike. My last one always clunked pretty hard in first and second. My dads harley did it really hard. She runs good though. Im just being paronoid I think. Its my first brandnew bike.
 
My CB750 has a very clunky tranny. It's not unusual for newbs on the Nighthawk forum to ask if that is normal.

The CB1100 by comparison is slick as can be. Sure, there's a little bit of a clunk going from first, through neutral and into second, but compared to most other bikes I've ridden it's pretty minor. I guess what I'm saying is there are lots of clunkier bike trannies.

Check your chain tension. If it's out of spec., that can make things feel clunkier when shifting.
 
Flynrider_imp said:
My CB750 has a very clunky tranny. It's not unusual for newbs on the Nighthawk forum to ask if that is normal.

The CB1100 by comparison is slick as can be. Sure, there's a little bit of a clunk going from first, through neutral and into second, but compared to most other bikes I've ridden it's pretty minor. I guess what I'm saying is there are lots of clunkier bike trannies.

Check your chain tension. If it's out of spec., that can make things feel clunkier when shifting.
That's excellent advice. The CB is more sensitive to chain adjustment than any bike I've owned. A slack chain definitely makes shifting rougher.
 
I don't think that the CB1100 is all that smooth. Not quite as clunky as a Harley but certainly not as smooth as the Kawasaki Vulcan I owned (and the Vulcan had positive neutral finder).
 
Dakota_imp said:
I don't think that the CB1100 is all that smooth. Not quite as clunky as a Harley but certainly not as smooth as the Kawasaki Vulcan I owned (and the Vulcan had positive neutral finder).
Wow. Most certainly not my experience. Clunky? Not at all, or even close. Not sure what's up with yours. Are you using the clutch?
 
The CB1100 definitely kicks into the next gear position harder than the Shadow did, but the first time I shifted on this bike I thought "wow, that's a much cleaner shift"
 
Firstfour_imp said:
Dakota_imp said:
I don't think that the CB1100 is all that smooth. Not quite as clunky as a Harley but certainly not as smooth as the Kawasaki Vulcan I owned (and the Vulcan had positive neutral finder).
Wow. Most certainly not my experience. Clunky? Not at all, or even close. Not sure what's up with yours. Are you using the clutch?
Wow. Most certainly not my experience. Clunky? Not at all, or even close. Not sure what's up with yours. Are you using the clutch? LOL. I still love the bike (though I may be slowly leaning towards those who say the seat leaves a bit to be desired).
 
In a related subject, how many of you have taken off in a hurry and missed the shift from 1st to second.......and watched the tach shoot up past redline? :blush:
 
Back
Top