CL 500 in USA

The Rebel 500 with the same lump gets decent attention.

I think this is a good alternative offering and hope it does well in North America.
 
I watched and listened to the video, but these bits of the narration had me wondering:

At the 12 second mark, it's a parallel win, not twin.
At 43 secs., it had a BS brakes, rather than ABS.
At 49 secs., it was available in Mattel Laurel Green Metallic, not Matte.
Not to mention the brake diameters as millimeters.

Someone signed of on it, regardless if it was AI or a paid announcer. Oh well, close enough for millennials I guess.
 
Ah, Pekingduck, thank you! :rofl:
Mattel colors, BS brakes, how can it get any better? It's a WIN for all of us!
 
Thread starter
only the automatic voice translator something stumbles.........

I've seen that a few times in videos like this

i like my CL.....have already 1400km on it....fine lightweight but enough power and low seatposition......for longer legs you get a 3cm higher saddle
and with the 3-4 honda original parts you can customize the machine a bit, for a completely different look

in my hands i need less than 3 l per 100 km here on my little roads , honda self says 3.7l consumption per 100km, with the 12l tank you have a nice range
 
... not a big fan of OEM scrambler exhaust ends either. However, of all the ugly, I think the new CL500's implementation is perhaps the least ugly I've seen.
 
I like the look of this bike and it would be nice to have a lightweight small capacity bike to take out every now and then. The price of the 30mm higher seat is a very reasonable £85 (€99/$93) including sales tax at 20% in the UK. The Honda UK website is a good place to configure Hondas making their way over to the US (we don't get a lot of Honda models in Europe that you get in the US too). You can get a great idea on the options and add-ons in advance if you are interested in the CL when it gets to North America. Note they even give you the price for the dealer to fit the seat £8.40! That is to prevent the dealer ripping you off.

Honda USA do seem to restrict colour choice on a lot of bikes though, given that it is only a tank colour I find that an odd marketing strategy to take with the CL. A great thing about buying bikes in the UK is the price you see on that Honda configurator screen is the walk out the door price, no hidden extras, delivery and preparation, tax are all wrapped up in that on screen price. You can do a lot of your buying homework before visiting a dealer. Bikes advertised prices in Ireland work the same way but a little more digging is needed to get accessory pricing.

Overview



 
Ok, the local dealers are crowing, saying they've got the the CL500 in the showrooms.
Might have to check one out on the way home.

Not that I'm in the market, mind you, just curious. Everything I've read and heard about the 500 twin says it doesn't really like sustained high speed riding. Not sure what the gearing similarities are with the Rebel, but on early Sunday heading to work, a Rebel 500 was pacing me at 80 mph, and it didn't look like he was struggling.
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
Ok, the local dealers are crowing, saying they've got the the CL500 in the showrooms.
Might have to check one out on the way home.

Not that I'm in the market, mind you, just curious. Everything I've read and heard about the 500 twin says it doesn't really like sustained high speed riding. Not sure what the gearing similarities are with the Rebel, but on early Sunday heading to work, a Rebel 500 was pacing me at 80 mph, and it didn't look like he was struggling.
If I were shopping, I'd demo ride the CL500. Looks really practical and not too bad looking.
 
Saw it in the flesh today (ok, plastic and metal). Sitting next to a Rebel 500, you can see that it’s pretty much a scramblerized Rebel.



Seating position was nice. Mounting lugs on the frame below the seat for luggage rack. The big silver brushed exhaust cover gave it an industrial look, but also looked like it would scuff if you just look at it wrong. Interesting “made to tip” features like that removable muffler cover and a plastic cover over the clutch basket on the engine.

Low sticker price, but with the fees, this dealer had it marked to $8200 (without tax). Interestingly since I last visited this dealership, they’ve apparently gone all in with CF Moto from China. For that same $8200 bottom sticker number, you can get this CLX 700.

 
I was headed home from my meetup with Pdedse and was passing the dealership that had announced that they had the CL500 in stock. I needed to check it out! Just had the one orange bike. Not that I'm about to buy one, but bummer that we only get two color options. AlpRider's blue 500 looks very nice.

Plus, I have been seeing CF Moto online ads for quite a while, but hadn't seen the bikes. This shop had a few rows of them.
 
m in sc_imp said:
im heading back down to the dealer i bought the xr150 at tomorrow, my friend is buying an H2 for sure, and another is looking for a honda 300 rally. they had a few of these 500's , i'll see if i can angle a test ride out of curiosity.
If successful, would be interested learning your opinion.
 
Thread starter
the throttle response is "digital" (direct/aggressive ) if you want only let rolling inside the village ....and the engine self very willing to turn.....but turning the top doesn't do anything.. up to a certain point, something comes after that, nothing .....only noise for nothing....
the sound at idle and low revs is very pleasing: crisp
suspension is very comfortable

here in CH i need with my drivestyle over 1/2 litre less gaz as honda says (ca 2.9l and not 3.6l )
 
Thread starter
sorry i dont understand what you mean....i cant translate it...

i know only its a parallel twin-engine
 
I think the Honda has a single casting that incorporates seperate 2 throttle bores, one for each cylinder, like old Weber side drafts.
 
Thread starter
ah thanks....

well

I only know that compared to the rebel they made the air intake path more direct in this or that video they shows a .scheme/ pic .......i guess this makes this "digital" character.......becaus last year i made a testdrive with the rebel and i cant remember on this character...
look at minute
2:40



 
Back
Top