Chrome or not to chrome? Hmmm

Romo1969_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Ok

My bike is spanking new 2013.

I'm kinda thinking that this chrome vinyls wrap stuff would look pretty sweet and as a side benefit preserve the original paint and have a cool option for now. Thinking of chrome side panels and tank and if I order the aluminum cowl chroming that as well.

Thoughts. I am thinking of doing a little photo shop or hoping a cb comrad has that ability.

Romo


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Romo1969_imp said:
Ok

My bike is spanking new 2013.

I'm kinda thinking that this chrome vinyls wrap stuff would look pretty sweet and as a side benefit preserve the original paint and have a cool option for now. Thinking of chrome side panels and tank and if I order the aluminum cowl chroming that as well.

Thoughts. I am thinking of doing a little photo shop or hoping a cb comrad has that ability.

Romo


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Funny, I was just thinking the same thing; chrome vinyl can look really cool.

I've made several attempts at vinyl wrapping my CB1100 tank; it's not easy and I wasn't happy with the end result. Maybe someone who does it all the time could do a clean looking job, but the whole appeal of DIY vinyl wrapping for me was saving the cost of plating or a pro paint job.

Rendering chrome in photoshop is also not such an easy thing. Because chrome has no color you have to map an imaginary environment onto it in a believable way.
 
Thread starter
Great input. But unlike yourself I have no delusions of doing this myself and have sought a professional for this work estimate. The appeal for me is flexibility to revert to factory rather than saving over chrome plating.
Either way I envision retro mod look as a finish result.
Too bad about the photoshop complexity. Maybe we can ask Disney Pixar. Lol


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Hmmm. That is some bad to the bone factory paint.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
What is a squid?


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
Greg_imp said:
Romo1969_imp said:
Ok

My bike is spanking new 2013.

I'm kinda thinking that this chrome vinyls wrap stuff would look pretty sweet and as a side benefit preserve the original paint and have a cool option for now. Thinking of chrome side panels and tank and if I order the aluminum cowl chroming that as well.

Thoughts. I am thinking of doing a little photo shop or hoping a cb comrad has that ability.

Romo


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Funny, I was just thinking the same thing; chrome vinyl can look really cool.

I've made several attempts at vinyl wrapping my CB1100 tank; it's not easy and I wasn't happy with the end result. Maybe someone who does it all the time could do a clean looking job, but the whole appeal of DIY vinyl wrapping for me was saving the cost of plating or a pro paint job.

Rendering chrome in photoshop is also not such an easy thing. Because chrome has no color you have to map an imaginary environment onto it in a believable way.
Funny, I was just thinking the same thing; chrome vinyl can look really cool.

I've made several attempts at vinyl wrapping my CB1100 tank; it's not easy and I wasn't happy with the end result. Maybe someone who does it all the time could do a clean looking job, but the whole appeal of DIY vinyl wrapping for me was saving the cost of plating or a pro paint job.

Rendering chrome in photoshop is also not such an easy thing. Because chrome has no color you have to map an imaginary environment onto it in a believable way.
Great input. But unlike yourself I have no delusions of doing this myself and have sought a professional for this work estimate. The appeal for me is flexibility to revert to factory rather than saving over chrome plating.

Either way I envision retro mod look as a finish result.

Too bad about the photoshop complexity. Maybe we can ask Disney Pixar. Lol



Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Romo1969_imp said:
Great input. But unlike yourself I have no delusions of doing this myself and have sought a professional for this work estimate. The appeal for me is flexibility to revert to factory rather than saving over chrome plating.
Either way I envision retro mod look as a finish result.
Too bad about the photoshop complexity. Maybe we can ask Disney Pixar. Lol


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Hmmm. That is some bad to the bone factory paint.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
What is a squid?


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thanks Romo. I've been wondering what a squid is too and meaning to ask. I suspect the question should be directed to calamarichris, but I'm not sure why :angel:. Something about the name, perhaps.

In the meantime, try Urban Dictionary: squid. It's pretty helpful.
 
The Spaceman_imp said:
No. No. No. A thousand times NO. Leave that cuss for the squids.

If nothing else, you'll be covering one of the best factory paint jobs ever.
I have huge respect for Honda's factory paint job on my tank. A vinyl wrap can preserve that while I enjoy something different just for fun.

I have really nice dress shirts and suits but sometimes I wear an old t-shirt. New materials allow me to skin my bike without losing its original appearance. Why not do it?
 
Kinda Sorta:
fef67258fddb9074047be2c3f7e99665.jpg
 
Thread starter
Not bad at all. I'm envisioning the side panel and matching cowl chrome.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Cormanus_imp said:
Romo1969_imp said:
Great input. But unlike yourself I have no delusions of doing this myself and have sought a professional for this work estimate. The appeal for me is flexibility to revert to factory rather than saving over chrome plating.
Either way I envision retro mod look as a finish result.
Too bad about the photoshop complexity. Maybe we can ask Disney Pixar. Lol


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Hmmm. That is some bad to the bone factory paint.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
What is a squid?


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thanks Romo. I've been wondering what a squid is too and meaning to ask. I suspect the question should be directed to calamarichris, but I'm not sure why :angel:. Something about the name, perhaps.

In the meantime, try Urban Dictionary: squid. It's pretty helpful.
Thanks Romo. I've been wondering what a squid is too and meaning to ask. I suspect the question should be directed to calamarichris, but I'm not sure why :angel:. Something about the name, perhaps.

In the meantime, try Urban Dictionary: squid. It's pretty helpful.
Awesome. Thanks. I like this term. I hate Squids. Now looking for a no squid bumper sticker.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Two possible sources on the origin of the epithet squid:

Name given to young sailors who, upon returning from a long sea deployment with a few thousand dollars burning a hole in their pocket, buy the latest/fastest crotch rocket possible, but do not have the skills to avoid death/dismemberment.

Contraction of "squirrelly" and "kid".

They're basically the guys you see riding wheelies in traffic and running red lights while wearing wifebeater shirts, sandals, and tiny little yarmulke helmets (like the Harley riders prefer.)

5013be6631e1e832de9334261a9f1aae.jpg


-Chopped-and-fried-squidChris
 
calamarichris_imp said:
Two possible sources on the origin of the epithet squid:

Name given to young sailors who, upon returning from a long sea deployment with a few thousand dollars burning a hole in their pocket, buy the latest/fastest crotch rocket possible, but do not have the skills to avoid death/dismemberment.

Contraction of "squirrelly" and "kid".

They're basically the guys you see riding wheelies in traffic and running red lights while wearing wifebeater shirts, sandals, and tiny little yarmulke helmets (like the Harley riders prefer.)

5013be6631e1e832de9334261a9f1aae.jpg


-Chopped-and-fried-squidChris
Great shot, Chris. Wouldn't want to be his toes.
 
The term squid was origin was an acronym that could mean either of these:

SQUIDStupidly Quick, Underdressed, Ignorant and Dangerous 
SQUIDStupidly Quick, Underdressed and Imminently Dead
 
Greg_imp said:
The Spaceman_imp said:
No. No. No. A thousand times NO. Leave that cuss for the squids.

If nothing else, you'll be covering one of the best factory paint jobs ever.
I have huge respect for Honda's factory paint job on my tank. A vinyl wrap can preserve that while I enjoy something different just for fun.

I have really nice dress shirts and suits but sometimes I wear an old t-shirt. New materials allow me to skin my bike without losing its original appearance. Why not do it?
I have huge respect for Honda's factory paint job on my tank. A vinyl wrap can preserve that while I enjoy something different just for fun.

I have really nice dress shirts and suits but sometimes I wear an old t-shirt. New materials allow me to skin my bike without losing its original appearance. Why not do it?

+1. What Greg said. Have fun and preserve the gem-like factory red paint job.
 
Back
Top