Chrome Headers

Joola_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
I just noticed the Takashi over at samurider.com added chrome headers to his CB1100 section. They're going for ~$680 before shipping and are compatible with all slip-on exhausts available. A Google translation of the manufacturer's appears to indicate they overcome the browning and corrosion we experience with the stock stainless headers.

http://www.samurider.com/?p=13754/#itemImage
 
Joola,

Great find. In your Google translation does it say that....

1. This header will accommodate the stock O2 sensor?
2. Is there a catalytic converter buried in that header somewhere or is it wide open?
3. Is it double walled?

I've been looking for a way to hide or get rid of the stock catalytic converter with its unsightly welds and odd shape. This header looks much nicer.

Chip
 
I bet it will make the stock muffler sound a whole lot better too. I did the same on an RT1200 BMW and it came out sounding great.
 
Blown up doesn't appear to be a co sensor bung or a cat. Also from this angle doesn't show if it would make it hard to change the oil filter. If they are not double walled they won't brown...they will blue and gold.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Blown up doesn't appear to be a co sensor bung or a cat. Also from this angle doesn't show if it would make it hard to change the oil filter. If they are not double walled they won't brown...they will blue and gold.
Yes I need a bit more info before I go this route. If they are not chromed stainless they will ultimately rust from the inside out. The outer tubes are one size bigger than stock so I thought they might be double walled but don't know. And if there is no provision for the O2 sensor will the bike run properly? I can't imagine they would go through the trouble to make this header without knowing it will work properly but stranger things have happened. I'll call them on Monday.

Chip
 
Thread starter
ChipBeck_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Blown up doesn't appear to be a co sensor bung or a cat. Also from this angle doesn't show if it would make it hard to change the oil filter. If they are not double walled they won't brown...they will blue and gold.
Yes I need a bit more info before I go this route. If they are not chromed stainless they will ultimately rust from the inside out. The outer tubes are one size bigger than stock so I thought they might be double walled but don't know. And if there is no provision for the O2 sensor will the bike run properly? I can't imagine they would go through the trouble to make this header without knowing it will work properly but stranger things have happened. I'll call them on Monday.

Chip
Chip, I don't have the answers to all of your questions (becuase I didn't see them on the page I translated), but I have no doubt Takashi would have those answers, or would get them for you at the very least. He's been very responsive and easy to deal with in the past.
 
ChipBeck_imp said:
Joola,

Great find. In your Google translation does it say that....

1. This header will accommodate the stock O2 sensor?
2. Is there a catalytic converter buried in that header somewhere or is it wide open?
3. Is it double walled?

I've been looking for a way to hide or get rid of the stock catalytic converter with its unsightly welds and odd shape. This header looks much nicer.

Chip
All very good questions- our header is 35mm OD. If the inside diameter is different I would want to know. Larger primary pipe diameter affects engine tune by enhancing top end power at the expense of low end torque. If the individual pipe length is longer, that enhances low end torque. The individuals pipes appear longer on the chrome header. So maybe the impact on power is a wash, but the lack of the catalyst will certainly help breathing. Hmmmm...
 
ChipBeck_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Blown up doesn't appear to be a co sensor bung or a cat. Also from this angle doesn't show if it would make it hard to change the oil filter. If they are not double walled they won't brown...they will blue and gold.
Yes I need a bit more info before I go this route. If they are not chromed stainless they will ultimately rust from the inside out. The outer tubes are one size bigger than stock so I thought they might be double walled but don't know. And if there is no provision for the O2 sensor will the bike run properly? I can't imagine they would go through the trouble to make this header without knowing it will work properly but stranger things have happened. I'll call them on Monday.

Chip
Yes I need a bit more info before I go this route. If they are not chromed stainless they will ultimately rust from the inside out. The outer tubes are one size bigger than stock so I thought they might be double walled but don't know. And if there is no provision for the O2 sensor will the bike run properly? I can't imagine they would go through the trouble to make this header without knowing it will work properly but stranger things have happened. I'll call them on Monday.

Chip
Did you get any more info on Monday?
 
:)
HondaJon_imp said:
Sounds like an e-mail to Takashi is needed. That's a good bit of coin to risk on somthing that may not work.
Gentlemen,

I sent him an email 3 days ago and he has not responded yet.

Chip
 
Gentlemen,

OK, I got answers to all of my questions today.

That chrome header does have a port for the stock O2 sensor. It does incorporate an internal catalytic converter, it is not double wall constructed, and it is not stainless steel under the chrome but I am assured that since it's chromed that it will not rust. Shipping is $70 so the total delivered price would be $750.

Chip
 
Hey Chip, have you thought about contacting Staintune to see if they have any plans to make a headpipe? Maybe one minus the cat but with a bung for the O2 sensor....
 
ChipBeck_imp said:
Gentlemen,

OK, I got answers to all of my questions today.

That chrome header does have a port for the stock O2 sensor. It does incorporate an internal catalytic converter, it is not double wall constructed, and it is not stainless steel under the chrome but I am assured that since it's chromed that it will not rust. Shipping is $70 so the total delivered price would be $750.

Chip
Thanks for finding that out.
 
Back
Top