TSR Chrome headers from Takahashi

Darmahman, I had a few more questions before I send Takashi more of my $$ :)

Do the pipes come with a new O2 sensor of do you reuse the stocker?

How is the clearance for the oil filter?

Are your running a Power Commander V?
 
Thread starter
No, you use the old one. You do need a very thinwall 17MM wrench to get the o2 sensor out due to the wires from the plug end. I took an old box end 17mm and cut out a piece of the box end so I could get it off.
Clearence is fine on the oil filter. Call me if you have ? when installing. Mike 970-481-6355
No Power Commander. I am at 5,000 feet and the F.I. compensates nicely.

HondaJon_imp said:
Darmahman, I had a few more questions before I send Takashi more of my $$ :)

Do the pipes come with a new O2 sensor of do you reuse the stocker?

How is the clearance for the oil filter?

Are your running a Power Commander V?
 
Great, thanks for the info Mike.

I am running a Staintune with a K&N air filter and a PCV. This header should be the missing piece of the puzzle.

I have always felt the CB was "restricted" and had more performance in her. Honda spent too much time and money developing this engine just to obtain "acceptable" performance.

Looks like Mr. T is getting more of my $$$. Going to order the braided brake
lines as well.
 
Thread starter
Can't wait to hear how it runs. With you being at sea level and all your mods it ought to rip.



HondaJon_imp said:
Great, thanks for the info Mike.

I am running a Staintune with a K&N air filter and a PCV. This header should be the missing piece of the puzzle.

I have always felt the CB was "restricted" and had more performance in her. Honda spent too much time and money developing this engine just to obtain "acceptable" performance.

Looks like Mr. T is getting more of my $$$. Going to order the braided brake
lines as well.
 
darmahman_imp said:
'Here is the link: http://www.samurider.com/?p=13754

Now here is the story.

Some of you may know I was planning on selling my 1100 to buy a new BMW R9T.( A BMW in the same mold as our 1100's.)
Well, shortly after putting it up for sale on this site's pages I did a dumb thing and dinged one of the header pipes. A good size ding that didn't seem to make a difference in performance but I needed to get it fixed in order to sell it. New OEM headers are $1400 at least and I missed out on a used set on these pages for $350. Tried to low ball him.
So I emailed Takahashi to see what he had. Preferably w/o a cat but with the o2 sensor. The above set he has available and would mount up fine with my Staintune muffler. It did have a cat and o2 sensor tho. $680.00.
I received it in about 10 days, maybe less. It comes with the 4 chrome pipes separate and the chrome cat/ collector separate. Also comes with new header clamps and gasket rings as well as a small tube of "muffler grease".
Install was straight forward with good enough instructions in Japanese... Actually the pics were all that was needed. I did have trouble getting the gasket rings to collapse( seal) as they only go on one way. ( smooth side out) and require more cranking down than I would have thought was needed.
But once installed correctly what a sound. I thought it sounded good with the Staintune and stock headers. It now sounds mean. The headers are a larger size diameter than the stock ones, but most of the change is in the tiny and I do mean tiny cat conv. Maybe 20% the size of the stock one.
And the performance is startlingly better than with just the Staintune. I can't say I noticed a diff with just the Staintune, but with these headers it is self evident. Acceleration is much more instantaneous. I always felt the motor was lazy before but no more. It winds right up to redline and much quicker. Lots of fun.
Bottom line is the bike is no more for sale...
You gonna post a video?
 
Here are some pictures from Samurider. I'm guessing the first picture shows a stock CB1100. Look familiar?

e2e47e8338cc2601381fdd1c0e5b43aa.jpg


Here is the TSR in new condition:

4633530a6676bd5982b26fa238cfac8a.jpg


In all its splender. Collector area is a lot smaller and cleaner looking, improving what may be the one ugly spot of the stock CB1100.

a82bd4108c75b85d82b33b5df88f0e2d.jpg
 
Thread starter
There is a cat converter. It's just about 1/5 the size in depth, but there is one. It meets Japanese standards, not ours. The collector with the cat is separate and easily seen.


The Spaceman_imp said:
It's a shame that there isn't a catalytic converter in the header, but it really is a huge improvement in appearance over the OEM collector.
 
HondaJon_imp said:
I pulled the trigger on these today. Should be at my door in 10 days :)
get a dynotune when your mode are done. The stock map for mine after mods was up to 12% too rich in a lot of the cells and a little too lean at wot.
 
Custom map was $200. Local guy does a few hundred bikes a year, mostly for track racing. Asked for power when I cranked it but more economy when cruising and he knew what to do. First set up for afr of 13.5 because 13 gives most power but his sniffer was after the cat. Then kept adding fuel and getting more power... Stop adding fuel when no more power added and that showed 13.2, meaning the cat only made .2 diff in the afr reading. Adjusted rest of map for smoothness and a little higher afr in cruising range. Reduced fuel adds almost everywhere with many minus values. Bike now really eats up the road, smooth everywhere, quick reaction to throttle, and I expect higher mpg.
 
My TSR just arrived today and all I can say is "WOW". This is a high quality piece, or should I say pieces. Darmahman is dead on, the CAT substantially smaller than the stocker. I will post pics and scan the instructions once I begin putting the header on the bike. Still waiting for the Eastwood coating to arrive.
 
Thread starter
I have put maybe 300-400 miles on my Takahashi headered CB1100 and there is no sign of blueing yet. But boy there is more power - right away when the happy stick is twisted...
 
darmahman_imp said:
I have put maybe 300-400 miles on my Takahashi headered CB1100 and there is no sign of blueing yet. But boy there is more power - right away when the happy stick is twisted...
darmahman - are you running the stock air cleaner?
 
I just installed my TSR chrome header and wanted to share a few thing with everyone.

I couldn't believe how loose the acorn flange nuts were when I went to remove the stock header. Even if you never plan to change your header, check these nuts for proper torque. If you do change the header, it is a good time to apply anti-sieze to the exhaust studs.


Make sure you test fit all of the pipes in the collector before you start attaching anything. One of the collector outlets holes on mine had a small ridge in it and the pipe would not fit. A dremmel solved the issue.

I had to cut a special pull tie with a tip that fits into the frame to remove the O2 sensor wire. I had an extra one in my toolbox. The tie is located behind the right side cover and holds several wires up. I recommend you have one handy before you start.


The O2 sensor is just stupid the way it is mounted on the stock header, if you need to remove it, spend the $35 and buy the Ko-Ken Socket. Snap On wants $50 for their version.



Koken 3300FN-17 - 3/8" Drive Flare Nut Socket - 17mm -K

I have a PC V so I just plugged the hole on the new collector and left the sensor in the stocker

(Props to darmahman for removing it without this special tool)

Overall, I am happy with this header. The larger diameter pipe looks right on the bike and the chrome is definitive aesthetic improvement over the golden stainless. My only concern is possible vacuum leakage where the four pipes fit into the collector. I used the supplied sealant, but am skeptical as to how well it seals, In my opinion. it would have been a nicer piece had the collector and cat been welded to the head pipes. The Staintune with the factory header had a gurgle on decel, but it is much more pronounced now. Not sure yet if that is the norm given the larger pipes and smaller cat or the product of a vacuum leak

Oh, and I applied the Eastwood internal heat coating. Took awhile to clean the pipes with Brakleen, but the coating went on just like spray paint.
 
HondaJon,

Terrific write up and pictures. Thank you! And thanks for the tip on the header nuts - checking mine today

TSR, staintune and PC V - NICE!!! Have you done anything on the input side? K&N filter perhaps? (still waiting on mine)

Other than the gurgle on decel, any other performance differences? How is the acceleration?
 
CB4ME,

I am also running a K&N filter, unfortunately, as I expected, there is leakage where the four pipes fit into the CAT/collector. I am sure this is the cause of the extra pops on decel.

Most exhaust systems with slip joints use pull springs or clamps, much to my dismay, this system has neither. TSR gives you a tube of sealer, which is just black silicone, to seal the joints. I wish I had known this before I ordered. I pulled it back off today and am seeking a solution.



Since I am out $680, anyone have any recommendations on a good sealant? I would love to have it welded, but I don't think there is enough room.

If another sealant doesn't work, I was also thinking of cutting slits in the 4 collector tubes and using clamps, but I am not sure if anyone makes any that are small enough to work.

Any help, ideas are greatly appreciated.
 
Back
Top