Chordless impact wrenches

pdedse

Moderator
Staff member
Thread starter
I'm in the middle of a suspension project for my DR650--putting on a new rear shock.  I got the shock out and decided it was a good time to check the swing arm pivot bolt and bearings, other linkage as sometimes from the factory they don't have much grease.  Indeed, I was able to pack in quite a bit more on the swing arm pivot bearings.  I moved on to the dog-bone links and one bolt I loosened fine to detach swing arm from the bike, but the other end of the dog-bones has another bolt with bearings.  And I cannot get this bolt free with what I have on hand.

I've tried PB Blaster, applying heat, I'm using a 1.5' breaker bar, acetone and so far the bolt won't budge.  I couldn't find a metal cheater bar I've used in the past, but that might be my next step.  I did find my old air impact wrench, but...it's over 30 years old and doesn't work any more and my even older compressor might not be working well with the higher psi settings.

I started looking at air impact wrenches and, wow, the options. In the back of my mind I thought I might buy a new air impact and I don't even know if my compressor will work with it.  Then somebody on another forum asked me why don't I just buy a chordless impact wrench.  

That didn't even register with me.  Chordless...whaaa...?  My first thought was how does the wrench get air from the compressor if there's no chord?  :blush:  I'm not always quick with mechanical related things.  After a few online searches it dawns on me that chordless means they got batt...ooooohhhhhh. 

:-/  

Cool! And I resumed my search.

How many chordless impact wrench brands does this planet need?  And how much impact wrench power do I really need considering I'm working mainly on motorcycles?

So with about 20 different internet pages open and my head spinning, I see that perhaps my first decision is whether to go with 3/8" or 1/2".  Seems that some people say 3/8" will do 90% of what you want, others say just go with 1/2" but be careful.  The 3/8" impacts seem to be smaller and lighter...and cheaper, but maybe the reason I need an impact wrench is for that 10% of the time.

Questions: 
1) If I'm thinking for this current 19mm stuck bolt, 3/8" OK or go for the bigger 1/2" because if I have it, I'll use it for more "stuck things" in the future?

2) Brands: Since I haven't even used my air impact wrench in probably 20+ years, I ask myself a) how often will I use it? and b) how long will I live?  In other words, maybe I don't need the best of the best.  I'd like to stay around $200 or less with battery included, which allows me for lots of brand I've never heard of, and maybe allows me to buy a lower end "nice one".  Many seem to like Milwaukee.

--a 3/8" Milwaukee mid-torq impact (3.4lbs / $200 w/out battery)
--a 3/8" Milwaukee M18 compact (2.7lbs / $150 w/out battery)
--a 1/2" Milwaukee M18, heavier
--or one of the cheap brands: aeropro, Seesii, Protmex, Agsen, Sundpel, etc.

--other recognized by me brands: dewalt, ingersoll rand, ryobi, makita, craftsman

--one that you recommend because of your own experience?

Thanks for any input.  If the cheater bar works, I may not even bother, but at the same time maybe an impact would help me as I age and loose some strength.
 
pdedse said:
I'm in the middle of a suspension project for my DR650--putting on a new rear shock.  I got the shock out and decided it was a good time to check the swing arm pivot bolt and bearings, other linkage as sometimes from the factory they don't have much grease.  Indeed, I was able to pack in quite a bit more on the swing arm pivot bearings.  I moved on to the dog-bone links and one bolt I loosened fine to detach swing arm from the bike, but the other end of the dog-bones has another bolt with bearings.  And I cannot get this bolt free with what I have on hand.

I've tried PB Blaster, applying heat, I'm using a 1.5' breaker bar, acetone and so far the bolt won't budge.  I couldn't find a metal cheater bar I've used in the past, but that might be my next step.  I did find my old air impact wrench, but...it's over 30 years old and doesn't work any more and my even older compressor might not be working well with the higher psi settings.

I started looking at air impact wrenches and, wow, the options. In the back of my mind I thought I might buy a new air impact and I don't even know if my compressor will work with it.  Then somebody on another forum asked me why don't I just buy a chordless impact wrench.  

That didn't even register with me.  Chordless...whaaa...?  My first thought was how does the wrench get air from the compressor if there's no chord?  :blush:  I'm not always quick with mechanical related things.  After a few online searches it dawns on me that chordless means they got batt...ooooohhhhhh. 

:-/  

Cool! And I resumed my search.

How many chordless impact wrench brands does this planet need?  And how much impact wrench power do I really need considering I'm working mainly on motorcycles?

So with about 20 different internet pages open and my head spinning, I see that perhaps my first decision is whether to go with 3/8" or 1/2".  Seems that some people say 3/8" will do 90% of what you want, others say just go with 1/2" but be careful.  The 3/8" impacts seem to be smaller and lighter...and cheaper, but maybe the reason I need an impact wrench is for that 10% of the time.

Questions: 
1) If I'm thinking for this current 19mm stuck bolt, 3/8" OK or go for the bigger 1/2" because if I have it, I'll use it for more "stuck things" in the future?

2) Brands: Since I haven't even used my air impact wrench in probably 20+ years, I ask myself a) how often will I use it? and b) how long will I live?  In other words, maybe I don't need the best of the best.  I'd like to stay around $200 or less with battery included, which allows me for lots of brand I've never heard of, and maybe allows me to buy a lower end "nice one".  Many seem to like Milwaukee.

--a 3/8" Milwaukee mid-torq impact (3.4lbs / $200 w/out battery)
--a 3/8" Milwaukee M18 compact (2.7lbs / $150 w/out battery)
--a 1/2" Milwaukee M18, heavier
--or one of the cheap brands: aeropro, Seesii, Protmex, Agsen, Sundpel, etc.

--other recognized by me brands: dewalt, ingersoll rand, ryobi, makita, craftsman

--one that you recommend because of your own experience?

Thanks for any input.  If the cheater bar works, I may not even bother, but at the same time maybe an impact would help me as I age and loose some strength.

If PB Blaster and heat doesn't loosen it, I'd expect it's time to order new bolts.  Sometimes snapping the head or nut off the bolt is an answer.

If something doesn't loosen by hand, I use an 18v Ryobi 3/8 drive cordless impact for most tough stuff.  But I have an old, heavy Ingersol-Rand corded 1/2" impact for anything else.  

Very last resort is my 18v Ryobi portable bandsaw or sawzall to cut off the bolt head or nut.    (Ryobi because it was cheap, plentiful and is what my other stuff is - the bandsaw is awesome!)
 
I’d think if the breaker bar doesn’t loosen or snap the bolt off, an impact wouldn’t do much better, especially a cordless unit.

I’m cheap and have “Bauer” brand impact from Harbor Freight. Does the job for light duty.
 
This is what my techs use in our shop, Milwaukee, 1/2" drive, cordless impact gun.
Price, about U$230

PAInbkB.jpg


cqrUMzX.jpg


TVCqtl9.jpg
 
Thread starter
peterbaron said:
This is what my techs use in our shop, Milwaukee, 1/2" drive, cordless impact gun.
Price, about U$230
PAInbkB.jpg


I see that some Milwuakee impacts are m12 and others m18...what's the difference between the two?
 
M12 is a 12V battery, M18 is an 18V battery.

Milwaukee M18 is considered one of the best available, but if you buy the impact, you may as well buy the cordless drill, cordless saws, etc, so get them all with the same battery family.

I use Ridgid brand from Home Depot as they offer a lifetime warranty/service contract that no other brand offers. As long as you register for the warranty within a specified period of time, you can send it in for free service when the tool breaks and they will repair it. I bought into this brand because a friend that is a contractor recommended them, and it has been helpful. I have killed my original impact a couple times, I missed having it so much I bought a second one to use while it was getting repaired and the newer one was even better.

I have also heard good things from the premium cordless tools from Harbor Freight at a slightly cheaper price point than the bigger brands.
 
kennyw said:
I use Ridgid brand from Home Depot as they offer a lifetime warranty/service contract that no other brand offers.

I use them too, and they're pretty good.  I heated up the drill pretty hot this evening drilling 1/2" holes in steel plate.  Still works though.

Surprisingly, my favorite tool in the series is the tire inflator...to be able to walk around to all the cars, trailers, motorcycles, etc. and quickly top them off is so convenient compared to getting out a heavy air compressor, hooking up the hose, fittings, extension cord, lugging it around, draining the moisture when finished, etc.

Back to the impact wrench question, I would buy whichever cordless model matches the cordless tools you already have, assuming it gets good reviews.  And I would use the highest capacity battery you have.
 
Lunchbag said:
kennyw said:
I use Ridgid brand from Home Depot as they offer a lifetime warranty/service contract that no other brand offers.

I use them too, and they're pretty good.  I heated up the drill pretty hot this evening drilling 1/2" holes in steel plate.  Still works though.

Surprisingly, my favorite tool in the series is the tire inflator...to be able to walk around to all the cars, trailers, motorcycles, etc. and quickly top them off is so convenient compared to getting out a heavy air compressor, hooking up the hose, fittings, extension cord, lugging it around, draining the moisture when finished, etc.

Back to the impact wrench question, I would buy whichever cordless model matches the cordless tools you already have, assuming it gets good reviews.  And I would use the highest capacity battery you have.

My Ryobi tire inflator is a really handy, useful tool.  You still need a plug-in compressor for big jobs, but it replaced my small compressor on wheels.
 
Thread starter
I thought I'd try a cheater bar before spending more money on tools.  Home Depot has 6' fencing poles, that seemed like overkill.  Autozone had a 24" breaker bar--I realized I was using an 18" one, so I bought it for $32.  Got home all excited...nada.  I couldn't get the bolt to budge not even a smidjet.  Talked a long while with my mechanic brother and he really thought a longer bar would work, just what to use?

I seached again and found comments on Reddit and a guy suggested try using the handle from a lift.  I knew right away my mc lift did, indeed, have a removeable handle and I practically ran out to the garage.

Handle off (lift is supporting my DR650)
Q6YyYsx.jpg


Oh yeah, I think this just might work
UJWlSUu.jpg


Removed sandles, on with the mc boots for better stability
Bm5TUb7.jpg


And right away, I got a squaaak noise I hadn't heard yet; tried again and got some movement! But I realized the bolt was spinning, so I placed the 12" breaker bar flat against the swing arm and as I pulled on the cheater bar, that made the 12" bar snug up tight...and the darn nut finally started to loosen, very reluctantly.
MwLUUAN.jpg


At last...
raM3H9O.jpg


...nut off, bolt removed, I can proceed to lubricating bearings and bolt.  Then a few more linkage bearings to check and on with the new Cogent fancy-smancy shock.  

So no new chordless impact for me...for the moment.
 
Ah ... the power of the lever.
 
If you do go back to needing a cordless impact (Which I cannot recommend enough, so handy). I would place my vote on the Milwaukee lineup. Its a little spendier to get into them but once you have some batteries you can just buy the tools you need. I have cordless angle grinders, drills, impacts, tire inflator, weed whacker etc from Milwaukee and have been nothing less than impressed.
I have an M12(12 volt line) impact and an M18 (18 volt) impact. Both in 3/8"s and they are pretty comparable. I prefer my M12 since it is smaller, but that doesn't mean it has no problem taking truck tires or other stubborn bolts out with ease.
I've used all these tools 5+ years wrenching on cars and in metal fabrication and have had zero issues with any of them.
https://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-El...sc=1&msclkid=ee6330ccbb0f110463fe59f5cdb68fc1
 
Thread starter
MagnaRider said:
If you do go back to needing a cordless impact (Which I cannot recommend enough, so handy). I would place my vote on the Milwaukee lineup. Its a little spendier to get into them but once you have some batteries you can just buy the tools you need. I have cordless angle grinders, drills, impacts, tire inflator, weed whacker etc from Milwaukee and have been nothing less than impressed.
I have an M12(12 volt line) impact and an M18 (18 volt) impact. Both in 3/8"s and they are pretty comparable. I prefer my M12 since it is smaller, but that doesn't mean it has no problem taking truck tires or other stubborn bolts out with ease.
I've used all these tools 5+ years wrenching on cars and in metal fabrication and have had zero issues with any of them.
https://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-El...sc=1&msclkid=ee6330ccbb0f110463fe59f5cdb68fc1

Thanks for the comments; it's good to hear endorsements for brands that cost a little more.  I might do just this, or what kennyw mentioned about Rigid.  I don't have much $$ invested in power tools, so starting with one brand and building on that would make sense.
 
I am not familiar with Rigid full lineup of tools, but with Milwaukee I do enjoy how they have lots of tools that are not necessarily a "garage" tool. I hate weed whipping, but my wife actually enjoys it as a way to get outside in the yard. She never would've weed whipped the yard with the old 2-stroke loud weed whip, but with the Milwaukee she knows how to put a new battery in and go. If I can buy a tool doesn't just make the job easier, but makes it completely go away? Sign me up! And wife is happier? win win.

Also trying to not be a total Milwaukee fanboy but their warranty is very good and stress-free. At my old job I managed our Milwaukee tools used by production and I would send in any that would break to be replaced. These tools were absolutely destroyed by hooligans each and every day and when I would send in a completely broken tool they would send a brand new one no questions asked. Super easy website to set up a claim and they pay for everything shipping etc. Not that any of my tools have broke yet, but its nice knowing I can be rough with them and they will honor the 5-year warranty.
 
Thread starter
MagnaRider said:
I am not familiar with Rigid full lineup of tools, but with Milwaukee I do enjoy how they have lots of tools that are not necessarily a "garage" tool. I hate weed whipping, but my wife actually enjoys it as a way to get outside in the yard. She never would've weed whipped the yard with the old 2-stroke loud weed whip, but with the Milwaukee she knows how to put a new battery in and go. If I can buy a tool doesn't just make the job easier, but makes it completely go away? Sign me up! And wife is happier? win win.

Also trying to not be a total Milwaukee fanboy but their warranty is very good and stress-free. At my old job I managed our Milwaukee tools used by production and I would send in any that would break to be replaced. These tools were absolutely destroyed by hooligans each and every day and when I would send in a completely broken tool they would send a brand new one no questions asked. Super easy website to set up a claim and they pay for everything shipping etc. Not that any of my tools have broke yet, but its nice knowing I can be rough with them and they will honor the 5-year warranty.

I definetly don't hear such stories with the cheap brands.
 
I have a Kobalt impact wrench in 3/8", which I think I bought at Home Depot or Lowe's on sale. I wish I'd had it 30 years ago when I was doing more work on my cars. Also, my favorite tool is a battery-operated socket wrench. Those nuts in places where you don't have room to swing that socket wrench back and forth are much easier to deal with if you can just put that electric socket on it and hit the switch. If only Benjamin Franklin could see us now.
 
I am not wrenching as much as I used to, at age almost 79.  Although last night I replaced wheel bearings and seals on a 2002 Carson 5x8 utility trailer.  I had to stand on a 24" breaker bar to loosen some of the lug nuts. 

I have not had an impact since I sold all my air tools circa 1993...but there have been a few times I would have appreciated having one, if sufficient torque.

~10 years ago I started collecting 24 volt Kobalt tools from Lowe's:  Drill motors, blowers, reciprocating saw for me and then for my son..  Excellent torque and long battery life.  I had an issue with a drill motor chuck and blower switch.  Although the warranty states to return to place of purchase, Lowe's starting requiring me to contact Kobalt to get a return number.

Irritated and liking my local Ace, after moving to New Mexico, I started collecting Craftsman V20 tools.  They are OK for my use now, but the drill does not have the torque of Kobalt.  No issues in past 2 1/2 years, so no warranty experience:
Stick vacuum (used weekly)
Shop vacuum (used 2-3 times a week)
1/2" chuck drill (used 2 times a week)
Circular saw (used 1-2 times month)
Grinder (used every 2-3 months)
Jig saw (used every 3 months)
Palm sander (used once a month)

At my age they will probably last as long as me.

However, if I started collecting earlier, I would go with Milwaukee for tools expecting frequent use.  In the seventies to nineties, I had several Milwaukee corded tools:  Hole Hog, Hole shooter, reciprocating saw, etc.  Excellent tools.
 
It's interesting to me to see what battery tools tradespeople use. The favourites seem to be Milwaukee and Makita.
 
My first cordless tool was a Makita 7.2 volt right angle drill. Sure handy for some tight situations, but not much torque. That was about 4 1/2 decades ago.
 
I have a Makita plug-in belt sander which has served me well. A builder who did some work for me nearly a decade ago had a great suite of Makita battery tools, including an excellent saw. I suspect they've all got a whole lot better in the intervening period.
 
Thought this was appropriate since we’re talking about cordless impact guns. I’m at a racing trade show in Indy.

We’re doing a live build of a Chevy Big Block in the booth. The engine builder brought his own Snap On tools which I am very jealous of. But, Summit is the build sponsor and provided a few of their branded impact guns too. They seem nice! Maybe one will make its way into my luggage…
 

Attachments

  • IMG_6397.webp
    IMG_6397.webp
    39.6 KB · Views: 11
Back
Top