Chip Beck Spec Low Handlebar/Mirrors Mod.

coryredick_imp said:
Ordered these bars and had them put on at the Honda dealership for my 600 mile service. I am 6' 2" and have long arms. I love the new sportier riding position and I don't feel like I lost any control or leverage whatsoever and they look fantastic. Also, we decided that drilling holes wasn't necessary as it didn't effect the position of the levers enough to warrant. Thanks Chip for doing the leg work on this!
I installed mine this weekend. I don't know what we did different, but without drilling new holes the controls were rotated way too far down, leaving the throttle cable coming out of the control pointing up. I thought it looked funny.

Care to share a photo of yours for reference for everyone?


Installed my bars and mirrors this past weekend, as well as some fork gaitors.

I am 6'4" with very long arms, so for me this completely transformed the bike. I am far more comfortable on long trips, and in town the bike handles much better.
 
bustin dailey_imp said:
coryredick_imp said:
Ordered these bars and had them put on at the Honda dealership for my 600 mile service. I am 6' 2" and have long arms. I love the new sportier riding position and I don't feel like I lost any control or leverage whatsoever and they look fantastic. Also, we decided that drilling holes wasn't necessary as it didn't effect the position of the levers enough to warrant. Thanks Chip for doing the leg work on this!
I installed mine this weekend. I don't know what we did different, but without drilling new holes the controls were rotated way too far down, leaving the throttle cable coming out of the control pointing up. I thought it looked funny.

Care to share a photo of yours for reference for everyone?


Installed my bars and mirrors this past weekend, as well as some fork gaitors.

I am 6'4" with very long arms, so for me this completely transformed the bike. I am far more comfortable on long trips, and in town the bike handles much better.
I installed mine this weekend. I don't know what we did different, but without drilling new holes the controls were rotated way too far down, leaving the throttle cable coming out of the control pointing up. I thought it looked funny.

Care to share a photo of yours for reference for everyone?


Installed my bars and mirrors this past weekend, as well as some fork gaitors.

I am 6'4" with very long arms, so for me this completely transformed the bike. I am far more comfortable on long trips, and in town the bike handles much better.
Sure. My controls are in a very comfortable position and the cables re-routed nicely I think, but matter of opinion I guess.


 
coryredick_imp said:
bustin dailey_imp said:
coryredick_imp said:
Ordered these bars and had them put on at the Honda dealership for my 600 mile service. I am 6' 2" and have long arms. I love the new sportier riding position and I don't feel like I lost any control or leverage whatsoever and they look fantastic. Also, we decided that drilling holes wasn't necessary as it didn't effect the position of the levers enough to warrant. Thanks Chip for doing the leg work on this!
I installed mine this weekend. I don't know what we did different, but without drilling new holes the controls were rotated way too far down, leaving the throttle cable coming out of the control pointing up. I thought it looked funny.

Care to share a photo of yours for reference for everyone?


Installed my bars and mirrors this past weekend, as well as some fork gaitors.

I am 6'4" with very long arms, so for me this completely transformed the bike. I am far more comfortable on long trips, and in town the bike handles much better.
I installed mine this weekend. I don't know what we did different, but without drilling new holes the controls were rotated way too far down, leaving the throttle cable coming out of the control pointing up. I thought it looked funny.

Care to share a photo of yours for reference for everyone?


Installed my bars and mirrors this past weekend, as well as some fork gaitors.

I am 6'4" with very long arms, so for me this completely transformed the bike. I am far more comfortable on long trips, and in town the bike handles much better.
Sure. My controls are in a very comfortable position and the cables re-routed nicely I think, but matter of opinion I guess.
I installed mine this weekend. I don't know what we did different, but without drilling new holes the controls were rotated way too far down, leaving the throttle cable coming out of the control pointing up. I thought it looked funny.

Care to share a photo of yours for reference for everyone?


Installed my bars and mirrors this past weekend, as well as some fork gaitors.

I am 6'4" with very long arms, so for me this completely transformed the bike. I am far more comfortable on long trips, and in town the bike handles much better.
Sure. My controls are in a very comfortable position and the cables re-routed nicely I think, but matter of opinion I guess.
Ah, must be a difference in the control pin location on the 2014 models, either that or they ground the pin off on the controls, which would get them around drilling new holes in the bars also. The only reason we drilled new holes was so I could be certain the throttle wouldn't eventually rotate on the bar. But again, mine being a 2013 I bet the controls themselves are different too.

Either way, your bike looks great! Thanks for sharing!
 
bustin dailey_imp said:
coryredick_imp said:
bustin dailey_imp said:
coryredick_imp said:
Ordered these bars and had them put on at the Honda dealership for my 600 mile service. I am 6' 2" and have long arms. I love the new sportier riding position and I don't feel like I lost any control or leverage whatsoever and they look fantastic. Also, we decided that drilling holes wasn't necessary as it didn't effect the position of the levers enough to warrant. Thanks Chip for doing the leg work on this!
I installed mine this weekend. I don't know what we did different, but without drilling new holes the controls were rotated way too far down, leaving the throttle cable coming out of the control pointing up. I thought it looked funny.

Care to share a photo of yours for reference for everyone?


Installed my bars and mirrors this past weekend, as well as some fork gaitors.

I am 6'4" with very long arms, so for me this completely transformed the bike. I am far more comfortable on long trips, and in town the bike handles much better.
I installed mine this weekend. I don't know what we did different, but without drilling new holes the controls were rotated way too far down, leaving the throttle cable coming out of the control pointing up. I thought it looked funny.

Care to share a photo of yours for reference for everyone?


Installed my bars and mirrors this past weekend, as well as some fork gaitors.

I am 6'4" with very long arms, so for me this completely transformed the bike. I am far more comfortable on long trips, and in town the bike handles much better.
Sure. My controls are in a very comfortable position and the cables re-routed nicely I think, but matter of opinion I guess.
I installed mine this weekend. I don't know what we did different, but without drilling new holes the controls were rotated way too far down, leaving the throttle cable coming out of the control pointing up. I thought it looked funny.

Care to share a photo of yours for reference for everyone?


Installed my bars and mirrors this past weekend, as well as some fork gaitors.

I am 6'4" with very long arms, so for me this completely transformed the bike. I am far more comfortable on long trips, and in town the bike handles much better.
Sure. My controls are in a very comfortable position and the cables re-routed nicely I think, but matter of opinion I guess.
Ah, must be a difference in the control pin location on the 2014 models, either that or they ground the pin off on the controls, which would get them around drilling new holes in the bars also. The only reason we drilled new holes was so I could be certain the throttle wouldn't eventually rotate on the bar. But again, mine being a 2013 I bet the controls themselves are different too.

Either way, your bike looks great! Thanks for sharing!
I installed mine this weekend. I don't know what we did different, but without drilling new holes the controls were rotated way too far down, leaving the throttle cable coming out of the control pointing up. I thought it looked funny.

Care to share a photo of yours for reference for everyone?


Installed my bars and mirrors this past weekend, as well as some fork gaitors.

I am 6'4" with very long arms, so for me this completely transformed the bike. I am far more comfortable on long trips, and in town the bike handles much better.
Sure. My controls are in a very comfortable position and the cables re-routed nicely I think, but matter of opinion I guess.
Ah, must be a difference in the control pin location on the 2014 models, either that or they ground the pin off on the controls, which would get them around drilling new holes in the bars also. The only reason we drilled new holes was so I could be certain the throttle wouldn't eventually rotate on the bar. But again, mine being a 2013 I bet the controls themselves are different too.

Either way, your bike looks great! Thanks for sharing!
Yeah, that must be it, for some reason I think I remember reading that the pin locations were different. Your bike looks great too, love the gaiters. What bag is that? I really need one and that is about nicest I've seen as far as low key.
 
The bag is a saddleman tunnel bag. I saw it on another members bike in one of the bag threads on here. I agree it is the most low key one I have seen on our bikes so far.

I think I'm going to get a bag mount for one side so I can strap it off the side when I need the seat for a passenger.

Here's a link : Saddlemen TS1620S Tunnel/Tail Bag - Black Amazon.com
Amazon.com
 
Thread starter
metalmaven_imp said:
Hey Chip, is that your bike with the corbin seat on page one? I was thinking about getting that seat..
Metal,

Yes that's my bike. I had Corbin make a special "Chip Beck Spec" seat. It has no tuck & roll stitching, no back rest slots, and no ugly flap on the back. It's clean and simple like the stock seat. Several members have ordered duplicates of my seat. Corbin will try to sell you their stock version as they don't like to change it. They told a couple people that the tuck & roll is necessary to keep the leather in place. That is not true as the vast majority of Corbin seats do not have tuck & roll stitching and my seat is perfect after a year and a half. There is a thread about this seat in the "how to" section of this Forum. Cheers.

Chip
 
Great info! To be sure before ordering, is the consensus that this mod does work on the '14 standards? I read that Chucky had some problems with throttle, but others have successfully completed it & are happy?
 
coryredick_imp said:
bustin dailey_imp said:
coryredick_imp said:
Ordered these bars and had them put on at the Honda dealership for my 600 mile service. I am 6' 2" and have long arms. I love the new sportier riding position and I don't feel like I lost any control or leverage whatsoever and they look fantastic. Also, we decided that drilling holes wasn't necessary as it didn't effect the position of the levers enough to warrant. Thanks Chip for doing the leg work on this!
I installed mine this weekend. I don't know what we did different, but without drilling new holes the controls were rotated way too far down, leaving the throttle cable coming out of the control pointing up. I thought it looked funny.

Care to share a photo of yours for reference for everyone?


Installed my bars and mirrors this past weekend, as well as some fork gaitors.

I am 6'4" with very long arms, so for me this completely transformed the bike. I am far more comfortable on long trips, and in town the bike handles much better.
I installed mine this weekend. I don't know what we did different, but without drilling new holes the controls were rotated way too far down, leaving the throttle cable coming out of the control pointing up. I thought it looked funny.

Care to share a photo of yours for reference for everyone?


Installed my bars and mirrors this past weekend, as well as some fork gaitors.

I am 6'4" with very long arms, so for me this completely transformed the bike. I am far more comfortable on long trips, and in town the bike handles much better.
Sure. My controls are in a very comfortable position and the cables re-routed nicely I think, but matter of opinion I guess.
I installed mine this weekend. I don't know what we did different, but without drilling new holes the controls were rotated way too far down, leaving the throttle cable coming out of the control pointing up. I thought it looked funny.

Care to share a photo of yours for reference for everyone?


Installed my bars and mirrors this past weekend, as well as some fork gaitors.

I am 6'4" with very long arms, so for me this completely transformed the bike. I am far more comfortable on long trips, and in town the bike handles much better.
Sure. My controls are in a very comfortable position and the cables re-routed nicely I think, but matter of opinion I guess.
So sorry to necro this post, but coryredick, if you're still around. What year CB500F bars did you use? 2013?

Anyone know if year matters for this mod? I've got a 2014 std and I was excited to hear you didn't have to drill.
 
Liable coryredick was last online on May 27th
 
I guess I could have checked his profile...

I wonder if the bars have changed much on the cb500f. I'll have to do some research.

Thanks brother.
 
If you click on his name his profile will pop up, and there was an email addy listed so you could send him an email. No guarantee but worth a shot.
 
Thread starter
Liable_imp said:
I guess I could have checked his profile...

I wonder if the bars have changed much on the cb500f. I'll have to do some research.

Thanks brother.
Liable,

My CB11 is a '13 and I put '13 CB500F bars on it. The pin locator holes were in the wrong location on the 500F bars but it only took a few minutes to mark and drill two holes in the proper location. Photograph and measure where the locator holes are on the stock bar after removing the controls with the stock bar still mounted. Then remove the stock bar and mount the bare CB500 bar. Use your measurements and use a Sharpie to mark where the locator holes need to be on the new bar. Drill a small pilot hole and then the full size holes. It's so quick and easy I wouldn't worry about doing all kinds of research to avoid it. Cheers.

Chip Beck
 
ChipBeck_imp said:
Liable_imp said:
I guess I could have checked his profile...

I wonder if the bars have changed much on the cb500f. I'll have to do some research.

Thanks brother.
Liable,

My CB11 is a '13 and I put '13 CB500F bars on it. The pin locator holes were in the wrong location on the 500F bars but it only took a few minutes to mark and drill two holes in the proper location. Photograph and measure where the locator holes are on the stock bar after removing the controls with the stock bar still mounted. Then remove the stock bar and mount the bare CB500 bar. Use your measurements and use a Sharpie to mark where the locator holes need to be on the new bar. Drill a small pilot hole and then the full size holes. It's so quick and easy I wouldn't worry about doing all kinds of research to avoid it. Cheers.

Chip Beck
Liable,

My CB11 is a '13 and I put '13 CB500F bars on it. The pin locator holes were in the wrong location on the 500F bars but it only took a few minutes to mark and drill two holes in the proper location. Photograph and measure where the locator holes are on the stock bar after removing the controls with the stock bar still mounted. Then remove the stock bar and mount the bare CB500 bar. Use your measurements and use a Sharpie to mark where the locator holes need to be on the new bar. Drill a small pilot hole and then the full size holes. It's so quick and easy I wouldn't worry about doing all kinds of research to avoid it. Cheers.

Chip Beck
Thanks for the tips, I read your original post on the subject Chip and it's really detailed.

I'm actually not really too worried about drilling holes. If it was a direct swap I was just going to have the dealer put them on for me at my 600 mile service. I feel like they might decline if they have to modify them, guess I'll have to ask.

I'll probably head to the dealer on Saturday and see what they say. If nothing else, I'll buy a set and drill and mount them myself.

Thanks again.
 
Just a bit of an update. Went to the dealer. Spoke with their shop guy. Said he would throw the bars on at the first service and as long as any drilling wasn't excessive he would do it for $20 bucks.

Hard to turn that down. Ordered the bars and just waiting to hit 600 miles. At 250 now, put like 150 on yesterday :D
 
So the dealer is installing the bars right now. But they called me and told me that a portion of the controls hit the tank. Just wanted to see if you guys had any issues. 2014 std with cb500f bars.
 
Thread starter
Liable_imp said:
So the dealer is installing the bars right now. But they called me and told me that a portion of the controls hit the tank. Just wanted to see if you guys had any issues. 2014 std with cb500f bars.
Liable,

They have the bars rotated too far back. Just have them rotate the bars forward until you have about 1/4 inch clearance. If I rotate my bars back tword me mine would hit the tank too.

Chip
 
So, the dealer called me prior to your reply Chip. I asked them if the could rotate it forward to get the clearence. Service guy said no way and suggested adjustable risers. So I said ok. On lunch I ran in to the dealer. The service guy I spoke to wasn't in but I spoke to the guy working in my bike. He said he didn't even check to see how close it was because "he didn't want to hurt the bike". I walked out without much time left to get back into work.

The Service guy I spoke to will be back when I leave work this afternoon, I'm going to chat with him.
 
I know this has been discussed in the thread already, but just wanted to confirm some of the points from my experience with this mod on a 2014 standard.

1) No drilling is required for the Cb500f bars, the controls are slightly tilted forward, but as previously stated, I could see no issues with this.

2) I did not have to rotate the front brake cable. I actually did it to start, but the cable was pretty bent after rotating. I found that putting it back, under the tab, there was less of a bend and it still cleared the fork caps by a few millimeters. I suppose if I lowered the forks in the clamps it might become an issue.

3) routing the throttle cables in front of the guide bracket is essential. I also rotated the cables up from the controls. I'm not sure I have entirely found a solution here as there is still a minor bind when the bars are totally pulled to the right. However, it is currently in the best configuration I've found so far.

If I get around to it I'll post some pics.
 
Back
Top