Chip Beck Spec Low Handlebar/Mirrors Mod.

I could not achieve a good angle/radius on the throttle cables to make it work. I think there may be subtle differences in the throttle cables on the 2014 standards...? I'm going to start a new thread with a new question as a result of my stupidity.:blush: Thanks for the input in this thread.
 
I wanted to add something to my woes with the throttle cable binding issue. The 2013 and 2014 throttle cables have different part numbers. The handlebar modification did not work for my 2014 standard. I'm having to replace my throttle cables as a result of a stupid mistake trying to bend the throttle cable tubes up by the throttle on the handlebars. I have ordered new cables and will use a tubing bender to properly reduce the radius from a 90 degree radius to a 60-75 degree radius. this will eliminate the binding I was experiencing from turning the handlebars to the right.

Has anyone else with a 2014 done this mod???
 
Thread starter
Ka Umikumakahi_imp said:
Very informative. I especially appreciate all of the very high quality photographs which accompanied your post.
You bet. I've been riding my CB1100 with this set up for over a year now and I still really like it. At 75 mph I wish the bars were a bit lower but around town I wouldn't want them lower. I think it's a great setup.

Chip Beck
 
ChipBeck_imp said:
Ka Umikumakahi_imp said:
Very informative. I especially appreciate all of the very high quality photographs which accompanied your post.
You bet. I've been riding my CB1100 with this set up for over a year now and I still really like it. At 75 mph I wish the bars were a bit lower but around town I wouldn't want them lower. I think it's a great setup.

Chip Beck
I think it's a great setup.

Chip Beck
Agreed. Thanks again for all your info. I could not be happier with the mod, and love that being a Honda part, the paint is EXACTLY the same as what is already on our engine. I got some better pictures of mine, on a recent outing. RLET's are on the way!

d4e091ddce6ed82d1aafc3b06ce14de8.jpg

b2bc623bfd83187c2cac3b3edfe925fc.jpg

252092cfd787303cdf1d1c1c8328d49c.jpg
 
This motorcycle is so photogenic. :thumbsup:
 
The ferret_imp said:
This motorcycle is so photogenic. :thumbsup:
It seriously turns my crank! Reading the whole Cycle World review thread was interesting. Nobody tends to like reviews that don't find their particular bike to be the absolute best. While they had negatives, there were many positives. In the end, they said "You really have to decide on what trade-offs you're willing to make." While the competitors may have had a bit better performance, or suspension, I don't think any of them are even in the ballpark when it comes to the looks of this bike, and the emotion that it evokes. At least for me, anyway!
 
Is the CycleWorld review available on the web?
 
I already have a set of black aftermarket mirrors that I really like. They mount the same way as the stock CB1100 mirrors. Would I still be able to use them with this or do I need mirrors for the CB500 bars?
 
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I'd really like this to be my first modification to my bike. I didn't see anyone reply to Chucky's question on whether or not this modification was compatible with a 2014 CB1100 . Does anyone know?
 
Thread starter
JF Coastal_imp said:
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I'd really like this to be my first modification to my bike. I didn't see anyone reply to Chucky's question on whether or not this modification was compatible with a 2014 CB1100 . Does anyone know?
JF,

You cut me to the quick!!! This thread is not old, it's classic!!! Seriously though, I've looked at the 14 bikes and the mods I put together here will work on the '14 standard black bikes. The '14 Delux fuel tank is taller and the CB500 bars won't clear it. The Honda type 2 bars are a bit taller and could be used on the Dlx bikes. With over 17,000 views I wonder how many sets of CB500F mirrors I've sold for Honda? After doing and detailing that mod with those mirrors I bet over 5% of all US CB1100s are wearing them now. This set up has stood the test of time for me and makes the big CB more comfortable to ride at highway speeds and much better looking at the same time. Cheers.

Chip
 
Another minor thing to consider when switch bars is having to drill holes for the locator pins on the switchgear. The 2014 bikes have different switches than the 2013 and the pins are in different locations. I bought my Type 2 bars from a forum member who bought them for their 2014. The holes didn't line up and they didn't want to drill holes. The Type 2 bars are a direct replacement on the 2013. Not sure if the CB500 bars require drilling holes.
 
Thread starter
the_undecider_imp said:
Another minor thing to consider when switch bars is having to drill holes for the locator pins on the switchgear. The 2014 bikes have different switches than the 2013 and the pins are in different locations. I bought my Type 2 bars from a forum member who bought them for their 2014. The holes didn't line up and they didn't want to drill holes. The Type 2 bars are a direct replacement on the 2013. Not sure if the CB500 bars require drilling holes.
The CB500F bars do require drilling locator pin holes. It's an easy step and is detailed in post one of this thread.

Chip
 
Darn, I was getting excited about this possible mod and disappointed that it won't fit on my '14 DLX. I even looked up the Honda parts catalog for the CB500 bars. Oh well.
 
Thread starter
Rebel73_imp said:
Darn, I was getting excited about this possible mod and disappointed that it won't fit on my '14 DLX. I even looked up the Honda parts catalog for the CB500 bars. Oh well.
Rebel,

The Honda Type II bars are just slightly taller that the CB500F bars and they will clear the Dlx tank. They are chrome instead of black however.

Chip
 
It seems most have ordered their type 2 bars from Takashi at Samurider. Not to take away from doing business with him, and my wallet is 4 figures lighter from recent orders, but there might be a cheaper alternative.

I realized that the stock bars on the Honda 599 and 919 seem very similar in shape and height to the Type 2. A quick check of the parts diagram for the 599 shows it uses the same internal bar end weighted plugs. You may still have to drill holes for the switch locator pins, but it these will cost you about half what they would ordering and shipping from Japan.
 
Ordered these bars and had them put on at the Honda dealership for my 600 mile service. I am 6' 2" and have long arms. I love the new sportier riding position and I don't feel like I lost any control or leverage whatsoever and they look fantastic. Also, we decided that drilling holes wasn't necessary as it didn't effect the position of the levers enough to warrant. Thanks Chip for doing the leg work on this!
 
Back
Top