Chip Beck Spec Low Handlebar/Mirrors Mod.

ChipBeck_imp said:
CB4ME_imp said:
Chip - yeah I was talking 2 different things.
Lord Popgun_imp said:
CB4ME,

Those rubber lever thingies go on pretty easy if you heat them up some with a hair dryer, or let them sit in the sun for a short while. Then lube them with something like WD-40 in them and worry them on. The WD will tack up or dry (over night in my experience) and all will be well with the world.

Edit to add: If you don't heat them up, them will most likely tear or split, according to other members' reports.
Thanks Popgun!
Well don't leave me hanging, what were you talking about. I can't figure it out. Photo??

Chip
Well don't leave me hanging, what were you talking about. I can't figure it out. Photo??

Chip

 
mustakoira_imp said:
I bought a pair of those CB500F mirrors (also the handlebars) online and they came in this week. Today I had a chance to just try them on my bike in place of the stock mirrors. They will not work. The thread on the CB500 mirrors have an opposite direction thread on them. The stock mirrors thread on clockwise, and these CB500 mirrors have a counter-clockwise thread on both of them.

Same part numbers as what Chip reported. I bought them from gearhead.com. Not sure why this is. I'll contact the seller and ask them but thought I would share my experience for what it is worth.
Makes no since. All 10mm mirrors should be the same unless they are for Yamaha.
 
Thread starter
:rofl::rofl:
mustakoira_imp said:
I bought a pair of those CB500F mirrors (also the handlebars) online and they came in this week. Today I had a chance to just try them on my bike in place of the stock mirrors. They will not work. The thread on the CB500 mirrors have an opposite direction thread on them. The stock mirrors thread on clockwise, and these CB500 mirrors have a counter-clockwise thread on both of them.

Same part numbers as what Chip reported. I bought them from gearhead.com. Not sure why this is. I'll contact the seller and ask them but thought I would share my experience for what it is worth.
Post a picture. The bare mirror shaft does not screw directly into the threads on the brake or clutch cylinder. It screws into the mounting bolt with the lock nut that you have to take off of your stock mirrors. That mounting male/female bolt is reverse threaded. If you are trying to screw the mirror shaft directly into the clutch or brake housing it won't go. It mounts exactly like the stock mirrors.

Chip
 
ChipBeck_imp said:
:rofl::rofl:
mustakoira_imp said:
I bought a pair of those CB500F mirrors (also the handlebars) online and they came in this week. Today I had a chance to just try them on my bike in place of the stock mirrors. They will not work. The thread on the CB500 mirrors have an opposite direction thread on them. The stock mirrors thread on clockwise, and these CB500 mirrors have a counter-clockwise thread on both of them.

Same part numbers as what Chip reported. I bought them from gearhead.com. Not sure why this is. I'll contact the seller and ask them but thought I would share my experience for what it is worth.
Post a picture. The bare mirror shaft does not screw directly into the threads on the brake or clutch cylinder. It screws into the mounting bolt with the lock nut that you have to take off of your stock mirrors. That mounting male/female bolt is reverse threaded. If you are trying to screw the mirror shaft directly into the clutch or brake housing it won't go. It mounts exactly like the stock mirrors.

Chip
Post a picture. The bare mirror shaft does not screw directly into the threads on the brake or clutch cylinder. It screws into the mounting bolt with the lock nut that you have to take off of your stock mirrors. That mounting male/female bolt is reverse threaded. If you are trying to screw the mirror shaft directly into the clutch or brake housing it won't go. It mounts exactly like the stock mirrors.

Chip
Yea, that has to be what's wrong. Lol. I put the CB1000R mirrors on mine, no problem.
 
Thanks Chip, I ordered my bars Friday. I like the black. I have blacked out my headlight brackets and "grab bars", changing turn signals now. Also switched to the Lucas tail light. The bars I was still pondering on until I saw your post.
 
FUZZY_imp said:
ChipBeck_imp said:
:rofl::rofl:
mustakoira_imp said:
I bought a pair of those CB500F mirrors (also the handlebars) online and they came in this week. Today I had a chance to just try them on my bike in place of the stock mirrors. They will not work. The thread on the CB500 mirrors have an opposite direction thread on them. The stock mirrors thread on clockwise, and these CB500 mirrors have a counter-clockwise thread on both of them.

Same part numbers as what Chip reported. I bought them from gearhead.com. Not sure why this is. I'll contact the seller and ask them but thought I would share my experience for what it is worth.
Post a picture. The bare mirror shaft does not screw directly into the threads on the brake or clutch cylinder. It screws into the mounting bolt with the lock nut that you have to take off of your stock mirrors. That mounting male/female bolt is reverse threaded. If you are trying to screw the mirror shaft directly into the clutch or brake housing it won't go. It mounts exactly like the stock mirrors.

Chip
Post a picture. The bare mirror shaft does not screw directly into the threads on the brake or clutch cylinder. It screws into the mounting bolt with the lock nut that you have to take off of your stock mirrors. That mounting male/female bolt is reverse threaded. If you are trying to screw the mirror shaft directly into the clutch or brake housing it won't go. It mounts exactly like the stock mirrors.

Chip
Yea, that has to be what's wrong. Lol. I put the CB1000R mirrors on mine, no problem.
Post a picture. The bare mirror shaft does not screw directly into the threads on the brake or clutch cylinder. It screws into the mounting bolt with the lock nut that you have to take off of your stock mirrors. That mounting male/female bolt is reverse threaded. If you are trying to screw the mirror shaft directly into the clutch or brake housing it won't go. It mounts exactly like the stock mirrors.

Chip
Yea, that has to be what's wrong. Lol. I put the CB1000R mirrors on mine, no problem.
That's what I was doing wrong. I feel stupid but thanks for straightening me out.
 
Chip -

Had a chance to try the CB500F mirrors yesterday. What a nice difference. I was especially impressed with how close you can see objects directly behind you, virtually eliminating this one blind spot. At the same time I gained some coverage with side vision.
 
Thread starter
4845mike_imp said:
What is the name of your fairing and where did you get it. I like that look . Nice mods by the way.
Mike,

It's a Road Comet fairing and I purchased it from webike.net. You can buy them painted or unpainted, striped like the tank or no stripes. Mine is painted silver and the match to my side covers is exact. Because the side covers are not striped, I wanted my faring unstriped and I think it looks great. The faring also looks killer painted to match the tank, especially if you add red side covers. Mine also has a smoked wind screen. The cost for a painted Road Comet is about $500. Installation is a snap and takes about 5 minutes. Cheers.

Chip
 
ChipBeck_imp said:
4845mike_imp said:
What is the name of your fairing and where did you get it. I like that look . Nice mods by the way.
Mike,

It's a Road Comet fairing and I purchased it from webike.net. You can buy them painted or unpainted, striped like the tank or no stripes. Mine is painted silver and the match to my side covers is exact. Because the side covers are not striped, I wanted my faring unstriped and I think it looks great. The faring also looks killer painted to match the tank, especially if you add red side covers. Mine also has a smoked wind screen. The cost for a painted Road Comet is about $500. Installation is a snap and takes about 5 minutes. Cheers.

Chip
Mike,

It's a Road Comet fairing and I purchased it from webike.net. You can buy them painted or unpainted, striped like the tank or no stripes. Mine is painted silver and the match to my side covers is exact. Because the side covers are not striped, I wanted my faring unstriped and I think it looks great. The faring also looks killer painted to match the tank, especially if you add red side covers. Mine also has a smoked wind screen. The cost for a painted Road Comet is about $500. Installation is a snap and takes about 5 minutes. Cheers.

Chip
Thanks. I will be adding that to my mod list as well
 
I love the lower bars. I think I'll have to go that route myself. At 6'2" I sit way to straight on that thing, highway speeds with a good head wind makes it feel as if I'm going to get pushed right off the back. I end up tucking to minimize the effect but don't like my arms that bent. (I do have a Street Shield on the way that'll help some.)

I had the same trouble with my 75 CB750 when I got it at first. I put lower bars on but my hands got beat up so badly by engine and road vibration they would go numb almost instantly. After some looking around I found these:

Umbraco 4.5.2 - no pages found

I put a set of these on the ends of my bars and the problems I had with numbness were gone. They fit and look much better than the bar ends Honda supplied on these CB1100s. When I first saw the OEM bar ends on my CB I thought someone had screwed up putting them on until I saw a few other bikes. The gap and looseness just don't sit well with me and, they look like crap to me. The Salamander bar ends open up a lot more options for bars. They have up to 1lbs bar ends if you need something that heavy. They don't recommend using aluminum bars with these since the aluminum is more prone to crack and fail over time. They also say they've not put much testing into it to find out.

XeNoSCR
 
ChipBeck,

I wanted to say thanks for all the work you did on documenting this. After a few months of researching other handlebar posts I kept returning to your post and ultimately decided to go with your recommendations. I already have the same fairing in the same color so that really helped seeing the pictures. I was struggling in my decision with black instead of chrome and drilling the holes but mainly with the placement of the throttle cables and the adjustments of the hydraulic lines. In my opinion, after looking at the pictures a few more times I think the black actually looks better than the chrome and my other concerns, I'm sure will diminish when I get to the installation process. I placed the order at a local Honda dealer here in Medford, Oregon today. I did not ask for the discount because the prices were already pretty good plus we don't have sales tax here. Handlebar 53100-MGZ-306 $43.91, Mirror, Right 88210-MGZ-305 $43.98 and Mirror, Left 88220-MGZ-305 $43.98.

Regards,
Allen
 
All - I also did this (in September). Not only do I like the position of tHe bars better it seems to make the seat more comfortable. I think it has to do with leaning more forward and getting away from bing so upright with the stock set up.

At any rate this mod could end up saving me 500 for a Corbin seat. Thanks chip.
 
I tried this mod as well and ended up not liking it. The narrower bars made counterstearing every so much harder and i was getting lower back pain on longer rides.

I think the lower black bars fit the look of the bike better than the stockers. I loved how it looked with them on it. I just couldn't get passed the discomfort and feeling like I had less control of the bike. My first ride back with the stock bars was when I had my close call with the benz suv (refer to my close call video). I think my reaction time would've been slightly slower If I had those lower bars on.

Then again I'm an inexperience rider so what do i know? :thumbsup:
 
Joola_imp said:
I tried this mod as well and ended up not liking it. The narrower bars made counterstearing every so much harder and i was getting lower back pain on longer rides.

I think the lower black bars fit the look of the bike better than the stockers. I loved how it looked with them on it. I just couldn't get passed the discomfort and feeling like I had less control of the bike. My first ride back with the stock bars was when I had my close call with the benz suv (refer to my close call video). I think my reaction time would've been slightly slower If I had those lower bars on.

Then again I'm an inexperience rider so what do i know? :thumbsup:
Are you interested in selling those black handlebars? Did you get the CB500F mirrors too? You may PM me if you want to discuss a sale.
 
Greg_imp said:
Joola_imp said:
I tried this mod as well and ended up not liking it. The narrower bars made counterstearing every so much harder and i was getting lower back pain on longer rides.

I think the lower black bars fit the look of the bike better than the stockers. I loved how it looked with them on it. I just couldn't get passed the discomfort and feeling like I had less control of the bike. My first ride back with the stock bars was when I had my close call with the benz suv (refer to my close call video). I think my reaction time would've been slightly slower If I had those lower bars on.

Then again I'm an inexperience rider so what do i know? :thumbsup:
Are you interested in selling those black handlebars? Did you get the CB500F mirrors too? You may PM me if you want to discuss a sale.
Are you interested in selling those black handlebars? Did you get the CB500F mirrors too? You may PM me if you want to discuss a sale.
Never bought the CB500F mirrors and sold the bars to a friend. Sorry.
 
Joola_imp said:
Greg_imp said:
Joola_imp said:
I tried this mod as well and ended up not liking it. The narrower bars made counterstearing every so much harder and i was getting lower back pain on longer rides.

I think the lower black bars fit the look of the bike better than the stockers. I loved how it looked with them on it. I just couldn't get passed the discomfort and feeling like I had less control of the bike. My first ride back with the stock bars was when I had my close call with the benz suv (refer to my close call video). I think my reaction time would've been slightly slower If I had those lower bars on.

Then again I'm an inexperience rider so what do i know? :thumbsup:
Are you interested in selling those black handlebars? Did you get the CB500F mirrors too? You may PM me if you want to discuss a sale.
Are you interested in selling those black handlebars? Did you get the CB500F mirrors too? You may PM me if you want to discuss a sale.
Never bought the CB500F mirrors and sold the bars to a friend. Sorry.
Never bought the CB500F mirrors and sold the bars to a friend. Sorry.
It's all good.

BTW, though I live in Florida now, I lived at one time in Loma Linda, Glendale, Burbank, Hasting's Ranch, La Crescenta and Thousand Oaks. I didn't ride motorcycles back then but used to drive nowhere in particular just for the joy of it. Angeles Crest, Mt. Wilson, Mulholland, Pacific Palisades!

When I lived in Thousand Oaks I was working in Hollywood. I've been all over those canyons going to work, the beach or just exploring.

Now my son is in school out there. He rides and I'm thinking about riding across the country to visit and ride in Southern Cal.

Wow, didn't realize how much I miss it all! I've got to get busy on planning a trip.
 
I read this thread earlier when I was using my Daytona bars with the bar end mirrors. While I loved the feel of the bars and the look with the mirrors the vibration on longer rides took it's toll and I switch back to stalk mirrors and the internal weights to cure it.
Now I am wondering if these bars would allow the bar end mirrors and the weights to control the vibration?
Unfortunately my selling dealer, Shenandoah Honda in Winchester VA, folded it's tent and vanished one night (rumor has it an ugly domestic situation) so I have to truck over to either the next county or MD to get a price on the bars and delivery.
Might be interesting though.
 
Joola_imp said:
I tried this mod as well and ended up not liking it. The narrower bars made counterstearing every so much harder and i was getting lower back pain on longer rides.

I think the lower black bars fit the look of the bike better than the stockers. I loved how it looked with them on it. I just couldn't get passed the discomfort and feeling like I had less control of the bike. My first ride back with the stock bars was when I had my close call with the benz suv (refer to my close call video). I think my reaction time would've been slightly slower If I had those lower bars on.

Then again I'm an inexperience rider so what do i know? :thumbsup:
I installed the same exact handlebar last night. I notice the bike looked a lot more sporty and aggressive – the bike looked fast just parked in my garage. Then I took it for a ride in the city and the highway. I noticed that in the city I was not as comfortable because of the stop and go. After 20 minutes of riding, my back was starting to bother me. I also noticed a little more stress on my wrists and forearms. Highway was not bad because I had a more of an aggressive riding position. Unfortunately 90% of my riding is in the city. The one major change I noticed was the way I was able to handle my bike. I went to an empty parking lot and tried doing figure 8 and sharp turns, but I noticed my skills deteriorated because of my sitting position. By the time I was done riding, my lower back was begging me to please switch to the original handlebar, so I did. After switching to the original handlebar I was feeling a lot more comfortable and confident. In my opinion the bike looks a lot better with the black handlebars, but my back and riding skills didn’t agree with the switch. I am keeping the handlebar because I am bike parts hoarder. By the way, Chip Beck’s instructions are perfect.
 
Back
Top